Advice needed for newbie! Bullying situation

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lovelyelm
Learner Laner

Advice needed for newbie! Bullying situation

Post by lovelyelm »

Hi all, I became a chicken keeper on Sunday when I picked up 3 ex-battery hens from the BHWT. Two are sweet and inquisitive and have taken to each other like sisters but the third is considerably more robust than the other two and is pecking them and bullying them badly. I have an Eglu Go Up with a two meter run which shoule be ok for three but when 'Big Bertha' is in a mood there is nowhere for them to hide.

This morning when I woke at 6.30 there was alot of noise and when I opened the hatch two came flying out, one with a bleeding back (they have no feathers there). Big Bertha then proceeded to peck and bully them until they both hid in the Eglu. I managed to lure Bertha into a dog crate and she is now safely away from them, but right next to the run so they can see each other.

So, my question is: I've read endless tips online about keeping the bully away for a couple of weeks and then re-introducing them but I work full time and so I can't oversee them in the day. I don't want to put the two timid girls at risk, not do I want them all to start pecking each other. A friend at work has a small flock who free range in a big chicken field and she has a cockerel. She said she would take Bertha as the cockerel is boss there and she would still have a lovely life, just with more space and hopefully less opportunity to peck and bully.

I just feel awful after thinking about rescuing chickens for months, investing in an Eglu, getting the girls home, hopeing they would be happy that I've failed already.

Is what I'm doing sensible? Help!

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Advice needed for newbie! Bullying situation

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Hello Lovelyelm,
Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
Firstly you haven't failed it's only been two days and some chooks are just pains on occasion.
If I'm thinking of the right coop then the run is about the right size for three chooks at just over 3 square metres of run space, the average space per hen should be 1 square meter but more is better.
If the dog crate is big enough for her to potter around in, has some shade/rain protection, food, water and some sort of box for her to go into shoud she want to lay then it sounds like you have it sorted. If not could you partition off the part of the run under the coop for her with all the above in it?
Seperating her for a couple of weeks may cure the problem as she will then, hopefully, come back as the underdog and if not then you firends offer sounds good.
I'd try the above and give it some time and if she is still trying to be a T Rex afterwards then let your friend's cockerel sort her out. :-D
Don't despair too early as the learning curve can be steep at times but things usually settle down eventually and each time they cause you a problem however big or small you will learn from it.
If you do have any problems you know where to come )t'
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Welcome Lovelyelm )wav( Please don't feel like you've failed already. I'm by no means an expert although I've been keeping chickens for about three years now and everyday is still a learning curve. We lost two of our first girls last summer so got three more and tried to introduce them to the remaining two and at first I thought they'd never all get on. I was so upset every night trying to get them all together into the coop which resulted in lots of pecking and squabbles. We were at our wits end but eventually after much perseverance all of a sudden they just all clicked and even though there's still the odd ruffle they're all best of friends. I know you're working full time but when you're at home can you let them free range and you stand by with a water pistol aimed at Big Bertha? We spend hours doing this and I think it paid off although nothing else in the house got done for weeks! Good Luck whatever you decide as I'm sure she'd still have a great and free life with your friend :-D
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lovelyelm
Learner Laner

Post by lovelyelm »

Thank you Dom, Ali and Cath for the pearls of wisdom!

I was told that they shouldn't free range until they had been at home for 2 weeks so the coop would 'imprint' on them!?!? I'd happily let them out tonight if I knew they's go back in! I don't want to put Bertha back in yet, the other two are smaller and one is quite peaky looking. I guess I shoulkd keep Bertha in the crate and bring her indoors tonight? I will have a very confused terrier (don't worry, she's not aggressive at all and will be in her own crate). Should I try and keep them together first before giving her to my work colleague (and long time chicken keeper)? If I'm hones, now that they are here I don't think the Eglu Go Up that I have (and allegedly is meant to house 2-4 hens is big enough for three. The run is just 2m x 1m. I'm frustrated because I want to do the right thing. :oops:
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hello and welcome!

I'm afraid I am going to disagree with the previous posts. Some hens are just plain nasty and in such a small run why risk having 3 miserable hens? I would get her down the road immediately.

We are first timers too and one of our original 6 was a horror - nothing would stop her behaviour and it was all just misery. We shipped her off to a friend who was down to one hen - a real Matron, who kicked 6 bells out of ours and they then became best friends. I don't believe that would have happened here. You have hens bleeding and I advise giving up now - all 3 will get happy more quickly.

Like us, you'll be down to two, which is a bad number as having a single is the next stage. Our two are 4 years old now and we can't decide what to do as we want to have a hen-free year. Your decision is equally hard but yours are young.

Funnily enough, our horrible hen is still laying daily while ours stopped ages ago. She is now alone as Matron died but she chats with the hens in a neighbouring garden.

Hope this helps and no, you have not failed as it is nothing to do with fault. I say you have a duff chicken and get rid of it.

Mike
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lovelyelm wrote:Thank you Dom, Ali and Cath for the pearls of wisdom!

I was told that they shouldn't free range until they had been at home for 2 weeks so the coop would 'imprint' on them!?!? I'd happily let them out tonight if I knew they's go back in!

I would wait until you've seen them going to roost by themselves for at least a couple of days, then let them out at dusk - just when they are thinking of bed so they won't wander far. Gradually increase the time out.

Good luck with Bertha, whichever way you decide.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi and welcome )wav(

Difficult isn't it, and horrible to see. It's natural behaviour and will probably go on for a few days/a week until they calm down, unless as Mike says you have a hen who won't settle. Normally I would say give them a week, see how things are and as advised, stand by with a water pistol. More space is the key, and hiding places where they can get away to - even if logs, upturned plant pots or cardboard boxes, anything which breaks up the space and creates places they can hide behind. Plus lots of food and water places so the bully can't hog them. Steer clear of treats for now, I have found that only makes things worse.

You shouldn't need to separate a new flock, that's really just for when you're introducing hens to an established flock. Sometimes that's the best thing to do though if you've got a hen who is drawing blood.

Mike makes a good point though. I wonder if space is contributing - as Mo says, try them free raging towards dusk once they have put themselves to bed a few times (I usually give mine 3 or so days in first) - if they seem happier in the larger space they may get along, but there's nothing wrong with making a decision to rehome her in the best interests of her and the other girls. Plus having a hansom henpal hunk around will perk her up considerably!

See how things are in a day or so, if you can stand it - and as long as no more injuries are caused. If one is bleeding already you will have to keep an eye on her, as they will go for the blood.

Mike also makes a good point about 2 not being ideal in case one dies and that's always a real possibility with ex bats - consider extending your run if that's an option, and then rehome another 2 once these have settled in. Only consider rehoming 1 if you are guaranteed a good calm character, but don't be surprised if your 2 little angels turn horrible too!

Intros are hell, for them and us. It does get better though - honestly!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, Let them loose if you have a high fence and plenty of digging area . They will spend time looking around and exploring . I am sure they now know where their bed room is now. Do not let the dog loose yet till they settle down. Let betha out last she may then look for space and take away the attention on the others .You need to be sure the girls cannot go to far for a while. They will find the pecking order in time . The one to watch is the lowest . She will know her place and you may need to spoil her at times to make up for it. Like all things try it and see.Only do it under supervision so you can see what is happening.Next step is feed them by hand . Stand still and let them come to you . They learn pretty quick ,good things and the most annoying .
keeep the house door shut as well . .......
Keep us in the loop . Always good to find out the end results of problems.
Bob
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh dear, not the start to chicken keeping that you want! {hug}
You are doing fine, it isn't always plain sailing.

What everyone says here makes loads of sense )t' , especially about the space. I just wanted to add that, if you do decide to persevere, scabs can be as attractive to them as blood - anything different is, even raw skin (which is why you have to be so careful about prolapses, and hope you're on hand, as I know to my cost. The other hens aren't being deliberately nasty most of the time, but what is going on in their heads pretty much always adds up to: "is that food? I will peck it and see".). So do get some purple spray or something to disguise wounds.

When we got our girls, one had a scab on her earlobe. It was tiny, you could barely see it. By the next morning she looked like something out of a horror film - covered in blood, where it had been "investigated". Miranda was obsessed with it and we soon had her down as a bully and little wounded Amber as a victim... That didn't quite turn out to be true but Miranda just can't help herself when something's different, from wounds to wet feathers they all get tested for edibility. It's like she's on autopilot. I'm not saying your girl isn't a bully but if she can see the wounds - even if scabbed over - it will make her more likely to go for the same spot again.

Good luck and don't worry.
ChickenLane
Learner Laner

Post by ChickenLane »

Mo wrote:
lovelyelm wrote:Thank you Dom, Ali and Cath for the pearls of wisdom!

I was told that they shouldn't free range until they had been at home for 2 weeks so the coop would 'imprint' on them!?!? I'd happily let them out tonight if I knew they's go back in!

I would wait until you've seen them going to roost by themselves for at least a couple of days, then let them out at dusk - just when they are thinking of bed so they won't wander far. Gradually increase the time out.

Good luck with Bertha, whichever way you decide.

Yep this is what I'd be tempted to do as well.

If they do jostle with each other leave them for a minute or so, however if it carries on for more than a minute break them up and try them again the next day.

I found after a few days of gradually introducing them to each other they will be ok

Keep going )like(
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Hi
How have you got on? I haven't got anything to add to the excellent advice here and although I believe that all chickens will get on eventually, sometimes it takes more space and time than you perhaps have available. I was having trouble integrating one new girl into an existing flock, but the addition of four new ones then changed everything and all is now well. Just do what you think is best and certainly don't feel guilty.
Let us know how things are going, everyone will be interested and with fingers crossed for you and your little horror er............... angel.