Chicken behaviour

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Maxricky
Learner Laner

Chicken behaviour

Post by Maxricky »

Feeling desperate tonight, advice please! I homed four ex batts back in April. Two died and only having two left thought I would get two more. I should mention here that one of my original girls is a bit loud and thinks everyone needs to know when she has laid an egg. But that I could cope with. Well, a week ago we got our two new girls, and I would say after a couple of noisy days they have settled down and sorted the pecking order out between them. My main problem is the original noisy girl is even noisier!!! Bear in mind I live on a housing estate and am so conscious of the neighbours. In fact one neighbour has already voiced his opinion and I wonder how long until I get more complaints. How can I take this girl down a peg or two.? She sticks to the other original girl ( who I think is incharge) like glue. She always has something to say, every time she sees me, every time I go into the garden, even for no reason at all. To be honest it's really getting me down as the others just ' talk' amongst themselves. I have tried screening the run so she can't see me but her hearing is amazing. If only I could turn off that voice of hers. I have tried separating her from her original partner tonight and it was a lot quieter. Any ideas anyone?

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken behaviour

Post by sandy »

The only time you need to be concerned is if she is very noisy early in the morning, can you cover their bedroom or run with any substitute for dark curtains? In the day I expect she is no noisier than a barking dog, we have 2 extremely yappy dogs two doors away . I dont mind at all but another neighbour complained and they were practically laughed at. Two doors up we have a crying baby, more obvious with the hot weather and windows open so try not to worry. Any chance you could offer the complainer some eggs to pacify them?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Maxricky
Learner Laner

Post by Maxricky »

Thank you Sandy, some good points. I suppose as its summer I am more conscious of noise too. I do keep them in their coop in the dark til 8 am when I think noise is not unreasonable. She's much quieter this morning, must be that stern talking to she got yesterday lol. It's just good that people on here understand!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think the more you worry about it the louder it seems to be. When I got Bill, our
new cockerel, I thought he was soooo loud! But after the neighbours told me they
didnt mind & hardly noticed he suddenly seemed to get a lot quieter!
I had an ex bat that was always talking, I loved her to bits but it could be a bit
annoying sometimes. I think the best thing is to try & get the opportunity to bring
it up with your neighbours first - before they get grumpy about it, and as suggested
pop some eggs round to your closest neighbours. As said there's much noisier things
in peoples garden.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I tend to agree , Children and early morning dogs. (They set the girls and boys off as warning to the rest of the flock and the head girls and wing leaders join in ) . Then my dogs and wild birds . I miss this unfortunately on night work as I get home at 6.00 am and it is peaceful......
Bob