When can baby chicks move outside?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
andy5898
Lively Laner

When can baby chicks move outside?

Post by andy5898 »

Our baby chicks are 4 weeks old. They seem to use there heat plate as a seat rather than to keep warm. So I just wondered when can they move outside they have a 2 tiered rabbit hutch waiting for them out there. But I don't want them to out out too soon. They all seem to have all there feathers too. Ta

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: When can baby chicks move outside?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

We don't tend to put ours outside until they are at least 5 weeks old and even then make sure they have heat available should they want it especially at night for at least a couple of weeks after that.
We play it by ear depending on the time of the year and what the weather is doing and they soon let you know if they are too cold.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
andy5898
Lively Laner

Post by andy5898 »

Do you reckon they would be ok to spend a few hours in there outside hutch to get themselves used too it then I will bring them in back to there brooder but they then get to make a mess outside for a bit.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Should be OK as long as they keep dry and you bring them in if they are showing signs of distress by being cold.
Dom
Ali Woks My World