Picking my hens up

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tonytrong
Learner Laner

Picking my hens up

Post by tonytrong »

I have had my girls for just over 2 months, they were about 18 weeks old when I brought them home. They have started laying & seem healthy & happy, particularly when I let them out their run to roam! Getting them back in the run is getting more and more tricky though!
They now all eat out of my hand & 1of them lets me stroke them at the same time. But my question is how do I pick them up? They hunch their wings when I pick them up & I worry about hurting them & because I haven’t got the right hold of them when I go to put them down there is a lot of flapping. Any help would be great, thanks.

perchy

Re: Picking my hens up

Post by perchy »

Aww they sound as if they have a great life, as for picking them up, we are all a bit worried about that to start, when you go near them and they start to crouch put both hands on them either side, hold quite firmly and pick them up, I tend to make sure I have somewhere to sit after I have picked them up, give them a stroke etc, some really don't like it others will fall asleep on your knee, when putting them down, do the same, make sure you hold them firmly hands over both wings and put them to the floor, mine usually have a good shake after, some do flap but that is the way it is, I doubt you will hurt them, when you hold them firmly they feel more secure, hope this helps )t'
If I am walking with a hen to being them to the house etc put them under your arm a bit like a bagpipe {rofwl} I always offer my fingers to their claws which often they like to grip onto )t'
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Food tin /box rattle and they should come running . Works for a while , I use it when in a hurry as to often they get to know what is next.
Bob
ChickenLane
Learner Laner

Post by ChickenLane »

tonytrong wrote:I have had my girls for just over 2 months, they were about 18 weeks old when I brought them home. They have started laying & seem healthy & happy, particularly when I let them out their run to roam! Getting them back in the run is getting more and more tricky though!
They now all eat out of my hand & 1of them lets me stroke them at the same time. But my question is how do I pick them up? They hunch their wings when I pick them up & I worry about hurting them & because I haven’t got the right hold of them when I go to put them down there is a lot of flapping. Any help would be great, thanks.

I'm glad they are settling down :-D

I found it difficult to pick them up at first as well, it just takes some practice.

This UTube video should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9anxRsI8eqw
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hi

If you are having trouble moving the hens from one place to another - such as back in the run - buy some bags of mealworms in plastic bags rather than pots. They will quickly link the noise of the bag being 'rustled' with the treat of some worms. They will follow you wherever you go with the bag noises. Get to the run and throw some worms in and it'll be a bun-fight to get in first. Ours would have followed us to lands-end with the sound of the bag.

The pound shops are the best place to get them

The wing 'hunching' you see when you approach them is because they are expecting to be mated (this is not a slur on your character!) They hold their wings out slightly so the male can stand on top. Just hold them either side and as has been very well described tuck them under an arm like bag-pipes. That is a brilliant description. The aim is to prevent wing flapping - if that happens just gently return them to the ground - you'll probably close you eyes so know where you are. Don't crush them, just be gentle but firm. Don't hold them below the wing line - ie the belly or you will risk damaging the internal organs and if you break an egg you'll probably kill them. It's good to get proficient at this as one day you'll have a sick or injured hen that you need to examine. If you need a really close look then lay the hen on her side and put a light-blocking towel over her head and she will probably lie still. Best to have two people on the job though.

Cheers

Mike
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I watched the video on how to pick up hens, those hens were practically in a trance! Even my Honey who is easy to pick up was very suspicious when I tried that method {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/