Need Advice please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Need Advice please

Post by amber66 »

Morning.
Marigold who came to us at point of lay in September 2013 seems to be off colour. She has been like this for nearly 2 weeks now, She has been moulting for a while, not so you can see any bald patches but there have been quite a few of her feathers in the run.
During the day she often is standing alone a bit puffed up and sleepy but her comb is still red and her tail is up.
When the meal worms are given out in the morning she used to be first in line and eating them with gusto now she will come forward but only peck at a few and then wonder off again.
I have felt her belly and it is soft (she hasn't layed for a few days) and her crop feels normal i think and looks big towards the end of the day so i am assuming she must be eating.
Is it just the moult affecting her or should i be worried. Her poop seems softer than normal and i have checked for mites and can't see any.
Thank you for reading and any advice will be greatly received.
Amber.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Need Advice please

Post by Mo »

Moult does affect some of them so >fi< it's just that.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thanks for the reply Mo, i hope it is just the moult.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,seem to be watching the right things .
Any changes then , panic time.... I believe it sounds like a mental moult as against the physical type .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

You can never be sure of course, as you know! But it may be the moult. I find with a few of mine (Tiggs is one at the moment, Nugget and Gabby were the same) that she's moulting in phases, and when she's coming up to feather loss (but before actually losing them) she is so miserable, with runny greenish poo and hardly eating plus wanting to cuddle and sit on my knee a lot. Hanging back from treats because I think she can't stand the rough & tumble of the others but really wanting mealworms and mash (comfort food maybe?). Then as soon as feathers start appearing, is as right as rain. So maybe Marigold is moulting in parts like Tiggs?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen.
You have described Marigold to a "T" so fingers crossed she feels better soon. She seems to have been moulting on and off for months now.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Let's hope so Amber >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
perchy

Post by perchy »

I have 2 moulting at the moment, my speckledy's underneath looks like a pin cushion, she has been off it for a couple of weeks, but now the feathers are coming she is much better, I noticed tonight when I threw some mealworms that my sussex left a trail of feathers when she ran for them, so in the morning the coop with be well feathered I am sure )t'