Another poorly hen!(Sorry, long post!)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Another poorly hen!(Sorry, long post!)

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,I do similiar with sweet corn . If they do not eat that willing there is something amiss. Sweet corn can be flicked down their throats and you know that they have eaten , (Can count how many as well ). A view I have as long as they eat and drink they have a chance of surviving , to much weight loss is not good . Once the gullet is full you can then see if it passes through and comes out the other end ok . If ok cheast and bugs in system to treat .
Not much help I am sure but you have to start somewhere and feeding is a good a way as any.
Bob

mummyhen
Learner Laner

Post by mummyhen »

Update on Suki: she is much the same so I took her to the vets again. This time it was to a vet with a special interest in chickens, a 1hr 25minute round trip! She gave her the most thorough examination I have ever seen a vet give a chicken, taking her temp (normal), looking down her throat, listening to her heart, examining her poop and giving her a thorough feel all over, inside and out! However, she could not work out what is wrong with her. She thought it might possibly be an immunosuppressant form of Marek's, which would be bad, but said I was doing all the right things. She is not anaemic as I had worried, it is just difficult to tell as she is so young and being black has a dark coloured comb at the moment! She did give me some Panacur paste to try worming her with just in case (Suki wouldn't touch the grapes dusted with Flubenvet) but I stupidly left the wormer at the vets!! They are going to post it to me (I tried the local vet but they don't have any in stock). I am keeping her indoors overnight (in a room shut away from 3 inquisitive cats!) Fingers crossed.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I hope it isn't mareks, but that's good that the vet has given her a good examination. Hope the worming treatment works and you never know, it could even be something as harmless as a moult >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
mummyhen
Learner Laner

Post by mummyhen »

The worming treatment hasn't arrived yet. I've decided to take her to the local vet today to be PTS. She doesn't want to eat anything I offer her and has spent all day sitting with her eyes closed. I managed to get some vitamin drops into her this morning although she resisted and I'm not sure how much actually got into her. She just looks so miserable and I feel so helpless - I don't want her to suffer any longer. {cry}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear that but you will make the best decision for her and you. {hug} Sometimes that's the only thing we can do for them, no matter how much it hurts us

Take care
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sorry you lost her. It's so hard to work out what's wrong with them, chances are
whatever you'd done she wouldnt have recovered. She was lucky to have a caring
owner.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant