ex-batts or posh birds?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
mardatha
Lively Laner

ex-batts or posh birds?

Post by mardatha »

Is there a huge difference in life expectancy and general health outlook, I mean between taking on ex-batts or buying young Point-of-Lay posh hens? Or is it pretty much luck of the draw?

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: ex-batts or posh birds?

Post by Totally Scrambled »

To a certain extent it is luck of the draw, some chooks just live longer than others.
Generally though an ex batt won't live, with you, as long as a point of lay simply because it is older when you get it.
Pure breeds tend to live longer than Hybrids and have a longer laying life because they lay less eggs per week on average rather than produce all their eggs in quick succession, which is what hybrids have been bred to do.
Hope that's some help.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

It is alot of course on the requirements of the chickens . Hybrids come in brown , brown or brown , with slight feather variation depending on parents .
Peds are what colour , size ,colour eggs basically what ever you fancy .
Show birds are also a point.
Now cost of a re homer that has been working hard is 2,50 Pounds .
Cost of a ped can be 30.00pounds depending.
If you are after eggs then point of lay for maxium ammount produced .
Ex working girls still lay eggs but it can be a few months after you get them as that is why farmer gets rid of them as not feeding a non egg producing chicken.
Watching a chicken that has been caged become free and showing its charactor (all different ) can be more rewarding than the eggs . They being a bonus .
Now if I was going to get a dog , I would not pay abreeder when the Country is full of unwanted dogs and the same with cats .WHY NOT CHICKENS.
As you can read have a passion for the girls that are working class as against the posh girls.
But I can assure you that what ever someone gets they will fill there world with pleasure and fun .
Preaching over ,Sorry.
bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There are 3 choices.
ex-bat, pedigree or in-between the high egg laying hybrids Point-of-Lay.
My hens were never 'posh' but were Point-of-Lay. Cheap hybrids - Black Rock usually. Food is dearer than hens, and the first in-lay year you get most eggs for the food. Mine had NEVER been subjected to lighting that forced them to lay more than once a day, or crammed together in a cage. I can't think that would lead to good health. Still the occasional problem in the second year with egg shell quality, but the 1st was OK.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi food , I pay 7.00pounds for pellets and 7.90 for mixed corn from a farm shop . Straw 2.50 a bale and saw dust at 5.00 a large plastic bag size of a bale .
Mealworms can be got for various ammounts ,stalls , super market store/ Ebay .99pence bag frozen sweet corn 45 pence loaf bread .Cabbage 80 pence . Blackberries free,grass free , worms and bugs self service. Pens and runs 100 pounds worth of wood and wire .Nesting box and covered space for winter tea cheast / crate pallet wooden even cheaper.
Time is the real expense depending on what you charge . Priceless to me.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That bag of pellets might last 4 hens for a month. A Hybrid Point-of-Lay hen (my googling says) costs £8 - £15 and will lay regularly for more than a year. It's the food that costs.

But if they are pets I suppose that isn't an issue.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

Thanks for your input. I had Black Rocks, only had them 2 years when I had to let them go. I never had any probs with them at all. Desperately want more at some point but need to work on the husband. +f+
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You could always go for a mixed flock - hybrids or posh girls for reliability and ex batts for character. Once you've worked on the husband of course!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

one thing to bear in mind is that pure breeds tend to go broody quite often
where as hybrids usually dont. Some of mine have been broody most of the summer!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

What are Black Rocks? I got them last time because we're very cold and exposed up here and have bad winters, am sure I read they were the best suited to this weather, that's why I got them. I do feel very sad for the ex-batts but not sure how they would cope here- or how I would cope with them if they have health probs.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Black Rocks are hybrids. And health problems with ex batts, they're as likely as other chickens although may have more egg related problems ie softies, and will probably not live as long. But they will squeeze every ounce of life out of the time they have!

If you're tempted go for it. They are chickens, they just need a bit of extra to cat the start. And we're here to help.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I loved them when I had them, wish I hadn't got ill then I'd still have them. But you learn from your mistakes eh and I'd do the run differently next time. Working on the husband .... )t'
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Only problem with the ex bats etc are they come in one colour with a few variations such as feather and darkness.
Best solution I have luckily had is to get a good mixture from rehoming peds as well.
I now look into a colourful (flowerless ) garden with charactors popping up all over .
Like all creatures you do the best for them . when ill and they do not survive it is at least a time spent doing chickeny things and they had a extension on life.
Does not make it easier for sure but that is the way of the chicken world .
Best in the future , what ever you end up doing.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh if you get a chance do a walk in run, with a roof. Much easier to clean and no soggy horribleness over winter. If that helps persuade the hubby :-D

I'd agree with Bob, a mixed flock best of both worlds. )t'
Karen