Carol goes walkies

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
DaveEllon
Learner Laner

Carol goes walkies

Post by DaveEllon »

I posted this story for my friends on Facebook yesterday. I thought I'd share it with you. Hope you enjoy. BTW up here in Aberdeenshire we call blokes "boy" regardless of how old they are.

Funniest thing ever today. Wish I had a video camera. Set off with Sam the labrador and a bag of the rubbish for the bins at the farm and Carol the chicken was just outside the house on the track scratting for tasty morsels. As soon as she saw me she came running over and followed us all the way up for two hundred yards never more than a couple of feet from my heel. Every time I stopped to see where she was she was sat right at my foot waiting for me to set off again.

Got up past the farm and there's a couple of blokes having their lunch break from lifting the tatties in the top field they've rented off Davie the farmer. Sam goes bounding over to say hi as he does with everyone he meets and then I follow with this bloody chicken at my feet.

One boy says "Oh aye, yer takkin yer chicken fae a walk as well as yer dog eh?" I explained she was bonkers and followed me around like a puppy all the damn time. Carol went and sat under the tractor one of the boys was having his lunch in while we all had a chat and Sam got made a fuss of by the other guy stood next to it.

We set off back home again, I called to Carol just once and she came running back out from under the tractor to my heel. The two boys were killing themselves laughing at her waddling back across the field with me right at my side. I doubt if many people have seen a chicken going for a walk with someone before. She stopped briefly for something interesting and potentially edible on the way back down the track and then caught up to me again at a run.

Two months ago when I got her and Diane from the battery farm she was half bare with her feathers pecked out like most of the chucks in there, a perpetually terrified, skinny little wretch of a thing you couldn't get anywhere near. Now she's huge, plump, gorgeous, completely happy and dotes on me to the point she won't let me out of her sight if I'm outside.

p.penn

Re: Carol goes walkies

Post by p.penn »

That is such a sweet story, and it must have been very funny to watch :-D

These poor hens nave no quality of life in cages {cry} How heartwarming it must be for you to see her blossom like that. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That is a great story Dave !

As Helen say's, heartwarming and goes to show what all these caged hens are missing.

Keep it up !!

Richard >ch< >ch<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , have not got a long drive but my lara goes outside to see the children as often as she can and loves being picked up and spoiled . Battery hens (no bats supplied ) are just amazing creatures . Shame we eat them really.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

What a lovely story.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,was thinking of getting alead and taking to the park .
Be talked about in the village for sure .
bob
ChookDee
Learner Laner

Post by ChookDee »

That is a wonderful story and such a shame not to have caught it on video!

My little pure breeds follow me everywhere when I am in the run with them, think they just like having a natter with me!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

ChookDee wrote:My little pure breeds follow me everywhere when I am in the run with them, think they just like having a natter with me!

So funny when you are looking inside the coop (egg collecting or cleaning) and there's a hen perched on top of it looking you in the eye.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

What an absolutely lovely story Dave. Must say I love the names of Carol and Diane and they certainly suit these little ladies.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

LOvely story )t' My first two girls were allowed to free range with me despite numerous foxes as they would follow me and come when I clicked my fingers bless them
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/