Any Duck Keepers out there?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Ivan
Learner Laner

Any Duck Keepers out there?

Post by Ivan »

Hi,
I have just purchased another drake to add to my collection of 4 hens and 1 other drake. They all get on fine apart from the other drake (Donald) who will chase and neck pull. I knew this would happen and there would be an integration period. 2 weeks have gone and it's still going on. I did have a similar issue when I added another hen to the flock, but after a week all good and Donald now likes her!!
I have tried separation and mixing the flock around in a separate ( run) within the pen etc....
Interested to hear if anyone has experienced this and after time will the situation improve? I have considered building another pen, purely for the 2 drakes and letting the 4 hens have their own space! I know he will be protective over his girls, but I am running out of ideas.

Ivan

sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Any Duck Keepers out there?

Post by sandy »

Ivan what breed of ducks are they? I would have thought much better to keep them seperate when in their runs especially as you have two drakes. Boy ducks arent fussy they will try and mate with the hens and from past experience it caused two of nextdoor hens to be badly hurt. Could you get some girlie ducks for your boys? Besides , I presume you have a pond and hens are not keen on water.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Ivan
Learner Laner

Post by Ivan »

Sandy,

Thank you for your reply.

I have 3 Indian Runners and a cross Campbell/Cayuga hen. One of drakes is a Campbell and the other a Crested Runner.

The ducks have a large horse troth which they all enjoy and keeps them entertained. I think you are right, best to separate the drakes from the hens whilst they are in their pen. Or my other alternative is to build another pen and share the hens between the 2 drakes.

I hope to breed from them next year so I am sure I will be adding to the collection.

Ivan
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Ivan when you refer to your "hens" do you mean female ducks? I thought you
meant chicken hens.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Ivan
Learner Laner

Post by Ivan »

Hi,

Yes all ducks, (girls)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Ivan I really thought you meant chickens when you said hens {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

what is the name for a female duck? I just call them girl ducks!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well I thought duck meant female, drake male. Like hens and c***s, dogs and b****es.

But often the gender specific name gets used for both and the other becomes a rude word so that you daren't write it for fear of what the censor will do to it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire