Chicken brooder

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Peza1983
Learner Laner

Chicken brooder

Post by Peza1983 »

Hi im after some advice on brooding some chickens I'm going to build a brooder from 4x2 and ply wood maybe 5ft by 2ft, but I'd prefer not to have them in the house! My question is would it be to cold to have the brooder in my 15x9 bubble wrapped greenhouse in February? Its draft free. I was planning on having 2 electric hens in side the brooder I'm new to this appreciate any advice thanks.

Peza1983
Learner Laner

Re: Chicken brooder

Post by Peza1983 »

Have I posted in the wrong place?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

No Peza- it's the right place! I think that those who can help just haven't been online, I guess it's a busy time!

I know when I looked after my daughter's chicks (they were under an electric hen) she asked me to keep them indoors for a while, then they went out (still under the electric hen) but afraid I can't ask her as she is on holiday at the moment }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Peza1983
Learner Laner

Post by Peza1983 »

Thank you for the reply Helen much appreciated, just the house isn't very convenient!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thinking about it logically, if the chicks were born in a natural setting, then they would be outside (in a coop) under their Mum. :?

Oh dear, I hope someone who has experience comes online soon! I remember it was chaos in my dining room for a while as not only did they smell, but also they managed to get out of their crate, so I covered it with a net and one did the jumpy/fly thing and got it's foot caught in the net and was hanging upside down. Luckily I was right there, but had I been out, the outcome may have been different. I remember feeling relieved when they went outside.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Peza1983
Learner Laner

Post by Peza1983 »

Thanks yeah I'll keep them indoors for a week or so but Carnt do it long term! I'm sure someone will be able to tell me, like you said it's a busy time of year there's no rush. Cheers.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've only hatched with broody hens but had to use an electric hen for older chicks
when mum had left them. But it's always been in the spring, Feb seems an odd
time of year to do this? I would think the electric hens would keep them warm enough
unless we have an unusually arctic spell of weather (which doesnt look likely atm)
Perhaps sheets of cardboard inside the greenhouse would add extra insulation.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant