question on coop siteing

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chickenlicken55
Learner Laner

question on coop siteing

Post by chickenlicken55 »

Hello all.

First post since registering in 2011 (slow starter?) Might just be about to get started with hens.

Quick story. I might have the opportunity to site an apiary at work. No chance to do it at home so I am hoping this will work positioning wise.

The site is a warehouse on a business park. The actual position is one half of a fire escape route down one side of the building. It is 27 metres long and 2 metres wide.
Imagine a bowling alley lane with a door half way down the lane from the building which borders the left side. If there was a fire, the escape route would bring people from the building into the lane half-way down and they would head toward the bowler. From the door toward the pins is a dead end no mans land that no one ever ventures into. It has been occupied by dense Buddlia that is now cleared.

The ground is shingle other than weeds thst are now gone. The warehouse obviously borders one side (the side backs to the north) the other two sides have an 8 foot security metal paling fence. The sun rises behind the bowling pins but then disappears behind the warehouse next door. Around 11 am, the sun shines From the south onto the right hand wall of the lane long fenced side and the warehouse . This means that Depending on where I place any coop/ark would very much depend on the what time of day the sun hits it. Clearly the sun is lower in the sky in winter but will give the run more light into the summer . the Opportunity for sun and shade are in equal portions. There is mains water at the bowling end of the Lane.

The key advantage as I see it is that the security from Mr foxy loxy is superb. i only have to line the bottom 3 feet of the paling with galv mesh so that the most anorexic fox will not get in through the slats. Obviously I have to put up an entrance gate to box it off.

Summing up, this could make the entire 27 x 2 metres "the run" and I need to pop an ark in to make it a combined ark and run. I intend however to use a smaller internal run with access to the bigger area of the run.

I was contemplating a mix of new stock and rescue barn hens. I am not interested in making money out of it. self financing woudl be nice!! More possibly a lesson to warehouse customers on what produces their barn eggs?

The main downside i can see is that the footing is shingle but did not feel that barnies would be that fussed about that? Also, I would be around all day to cuddle them but will be off home at 5 pm. If this goes ahead, there are a few trusted colleagues who will share house keeping duties (Ones I can trust not to nick the eggs and not contribute toward the finances

What do the panel think about that quick post (?) and its content? Criticisms please.

Regards

CL

ps got a couple of wormeries that need rehoming. where does that get posted on here?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: question on coop siteing

Post by Mo »

Well, some members keep hens on their allotments, so being away from home shouldn't be a problem. You might decide to fit an automatic pop-hole opener to shut them in/let them out in summer - though if you are really sure that you are fox proof, maybe not.

As you won't be around at night you'll want to padlock the gate against human predators - thieves & vandals.

I don't know that hens are bothered about being cuddled, but they do need a daily check (feed, water, no obvious health problems) - you seem to have that covered.

Is the shingle like small pebbles? Hens like to scratch about and dust bathe, but if it's not suitable you can make them a small area that is.
And think about manure. You'll need to clean out the coop, what about the shingle - what is underneath? An allotment holder will be pleased to have it I should think.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think firstly have you checked with your health & safety manager (or equivalent) that it's okay to site this in the fire escape route? My H&S manager and facilities managers at work would probably have a heart attack, even if it's not totally blocking the route. Best to tick that off the list before you go any further

Personally I would make the run as big as you can, walk in size for you (and your helpers) plus perching areas for the chickens - the bigger the area the better as they are not able to free range.

Mo's idea about an automatic pop hole is a good one. Hens are up & down with the sun so winter might be fine but summer you'd have to have someone to let them in and out maybe before shifts start and after they end. I'd also agree about the padlock & security against people, especially at night in a deserted industrial space - there have been plenty of stories of people's hens being stolen.

Shingle's alright - not ideal tbh as you will have to keep an eye open for any foot injuries and bumblefoot if there are sharp stones in there, as the hens will love to dig and scratch, plus they may be more prone to injuries if jumping from height (some logs to perch and play on always go down well). Make sure you can hose it down to keep it clean and poo pick a couple of times a day. If you could make an area for soil, that would be better especially as they will need a dust bathing area.

Can you roof it? That could be a way foxy could get in, and your hens would be toast with no escape route. Also to keep the rain out as well.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KarenE wrote:I think firstly have you checked with your health & safety manager (or equivalent) that it's okay to site this in the fire escape route? My H&S manager and facilities managers at work would probably have a heart attack, even if it's not totally blocking the route. Best to tick that off the list before you go any further

I read the first post as saying that there was a dead end / unused space, at the end of the escape alleyway. But obviously, yes, talk to the landowner.
chickenlicken55
Learner Laner

yes thanks for quick reply.

to confirm the fencing behind the pins and down the right of the lane is the perimeter fence of the site. 8 feet high pointy steel palings with a concrete base. only way in is to squeeze through the gaps between the slats. Cover the bottom three feet with galv mesh makes that fort knox in my book. We do (who doesn't) have skinny local foxes) this is south london.

I have already thought of converting some of the shingle to dust bath area. it is small stones. Local fox attempted to dig under down through it to burrow under the warehouse but gave up much later when he/she hit the blockwork. Likewise thought of the pop hole. Need to bone up on the technicalities.

Clearly as the alley is only 6 feet wide, the coop will have to be long and thin rather than square - sit along warehouse wall. Did not mention that the space will be shared with bee hives at ythe pins end so need to squeeze past hens to get to them. hope that the manager does not read this forum as I have not asked him yet (insert one of these yike* )

I have no doubt there will be much social bonding which is the main reason why I am attempting to start out. Love it.

poo and such like will be donated to local allotment where I had a plot.

Thanks for comments. Keep them coming please

regards

CL
chickenlicken55
Learner Laner

whilst composing war and peace II i got the post about facilities/heart attacks/bosses

You are correct. fire escapees come through the fire door and turn right (following the arrowed signs) If they attempted to go left , the immediate barrier will be a gate (to be erected by me ) that will bar entrance to the hens/bees enclosure. There is no detriment to the fire escape route whatsoever. As I stated, the proposed coop area was akin to a jungle of buddlia. When I say clear, the stems are more than three inches thick and because thay have not been attended to have distorted the outer cladding of the building. That demonstrates how much use it has had)

Note to self. Take shovel into work and find out how deep the shingle is.

regards

CL
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

In that case it sounds like you're sorted then and if Bikesandbirdsbob's experience is anything to go by, you'll do a roaring trade in selling the eggs to the warehouse workers! You could probably even sell the straw and poo to the allomenteers!

As long as there's room for you to get in, egg collect, clean up and get sick chickens then you'll be fine. I would definitely roof over if you can (if it won't harm the bees), even if it's just with a heavy duty tarp, it'll give rain protection and stop any foxes (and humans) climbing over. If you've had one fox, they may be more persistent if they can see lunch right in front of them and whilst they won't be able to dig under, they could go over the top.

As the space is long and thin, get some branches or shelves so they can use height as well as width - not too high, but some stumps, low branches and maybe even some shelved areas where they can also gather. It'll give them more usable space.

Just a thought about your slats - foxes may not be able to squeeze in, but mink and stoats could - do you know if you have any round there? Maybe a roll of chicken wire as a preventative measure might not be such a bad idea.

If you can't dig out a dustbathing area, you could use tyres (if the space is wide enough) or children's plastic paddling pools, anything really that will hold the soil in.

Have a look at the member's chicken coops, that might give you a few ideas on how you can use the space.

Have you thought what you're going to do about feeders and water? Your better if you can using hanging or wall mounted feeders as if they are on the floor, they get knocked over, muddy and poo-y. If freestanding, put them slightly elevated ie on bricks, and in heavy containers so they're less easily knocked over.

The main piece of advice I can give is to make sure the space is usable for them and you - having had just a small low level run which was impossible to maintain and clean, I can tell you it's a pain in the whatsit if the run isn't manageable and sensible.

Good luck, you'll love it! They are fascinating creatures - your boss might not be too happy though you all may lose a lot of time chicken-watching )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KarenE wrote:
Have you thought what you're going to do about feeders and water? Your better if you can using hanging or wall mounted feeders as if they are on the floor, they get knocked over, muddy and poo-y.

The main piece of advice I can give is to make sure the space is usable for them and you - having had just a small low level run which was impossible to maintain and clean, I can tell you it's a pain in the whatsit if the run isn't manageable and sensible.

Good luck, you'll love it! They are fascinating creatures - your boss might not be too happy though you all may lose a lot of time chicken-watching )t'

Very true, about the poo-ey water, and height, and time wasting (but you will work better because of the stress relief - or similar excuse).
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Sorry if I upset anyone, not intended but it doesn't sound much fun for the chickens. I wouldn't put them on that surface. Also I am totally in favour of chickens being shut in at night, no matter how secure their pen/run. They can get very stressed with the presence of a fox stalking around even if it can't get at them.