Mite-mare

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

Mite-mare

Post by melons »

OMG, we are looking after my neighbours chickens for 2 weeks, tonight (2nd night in charge)I discovered the most horrendous red mite infestation I think possible, I now know that the creepy crawlies which I've sent off to an Entomologist that I found on my hen house aren't the real thing! I still don't know what they are, he's on a field trip, (they are still in a bag waiting for him to get back), but I now "KNOW" what red mites look like...billions of them.
So I've spent the night getting all their bedding out & burning it along with the rest of their bale of hay which rests in the hen house roof, I've soaked the house poultry shield, the girls are completely white with red mite dust powder & I'll repeat the whole thing till I'm on top of it I suppose?
The poor girls, I've also had to make them a quick perch, as they don't have one, at least they can get up in the air a bit from the onslaught, they are all stood on their new perch looking a bit dazed & dusty. I've bedded them down on shredded paper for their nest & floor, as I was told the mites don't like paper much either, I'll try anything.
They always said they never laid many eggs, I'm not suprised :cry:
So now I've got a watering can to wash my feet each time I come back into our garden to try & limit the risk of us getting them, but I recon it's inevitable now :cry:
Cheers
mel x

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Mite-mare

Post by AnnaB »

melons
You're on Wendy's site? What about Diatomaceous Earth - I've bought some and all the others feel its really great.
melons
Legendary Laner

remedies

Post by melons »

Superdooper, I'll try that too, yes I do post occasionally on Wendy's forum, they are very sweet.
Cheers for your help.
Cheers
mel x
melons
Legendary Laner

super blitz

Post by melons »

I've nearly finished my super blitzing of next doors hen house.
This is what I've done so far:
I've cleaned it all out & burnt all their bedding, sprayed with poultry shield & dettol, covered the girls in red mite powder.
Then I went onto a higher level of kill mode & blowtorched the whole house out, then re-sprayed with poultry shield leaving it dripping wet, then discovered they also has lice :shock: , so also covered them in louse powder, laid newspaper on the floor & used shredded paper as bedding instead of their hay (all burnt) given them a perch to sit on too :-D
Last night I went out late in the dark & did the kitchen paper test under the perches, & had a really good look round with the torch, NOT ONE MITE YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
They are getting their bedding burnt again tonight, then another poultry shield soaking for good measure this weekend, then I have to explain why their hen house is a shadow of it's former self next weekend :oops:
This approach has been a bit of every ones sugestions, It's worked for me / them :-D

Mel

the Diatom is also on order.
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Poor little hens, you have worked well Mel.
I hope they appreciate it.
Lets hope you have done the trick.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I can't imagine any mite surviving that onslaught, mel. Should keep it clear for a few days :wink:
Morgs
Lively Laner

Oh my god

Post by Morgs »

....I am spending too much time on this forum - I woke up in a cold sweat last night from dreaming that my chooks had red mite!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When do your neighbours come back, Mel? Let us know how they react to all your hard work.
melons
Legendary Laner

clean hen house

Post by melons »

My neighbours come back on the 5th of August, they should be ok with it all, especially if the girls lay some more eggs.
I'm going start by blaming the weather, then just be a diplomat & explain what why & when. The girls are happier too :)

On the subject of dreaming about chickens....apparently I woke up on friday night, pointed at the telly & shouted that "I can't see through the chicken wire" got up wandered off to the loo, back to bed, sound asleep again, I remember nothing of this, OH thinks it's hilarious!
No wine had been consumed either :shock:
So maybe they do occupy my mind a lot, but then that was the point in getting them, to spoil them rotten.
Cheers
mel x
b_cos_1_can

Re: clean hen house

Post by b_cos_1_can »

melons wrote:On the subject of dreaming about chickens....apparently I woke up on friday night, pointed at the telly & shouted that "I can't see through the chicken wire" got up wandered off to the loo, back to bed, sound asleep again, I remember nothing of this, OH thinks it's hilarious!

*rofl* i just choked on my cereal :-D nice one!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The first rule of thumb with mites is - don't have a chicken house with roofing felt they say.

Any nook, cranny or gap underneath is heaven for mites. It's dry, warm, cosy and ideal nesting for them.

A Vet told me that if you take any roofing felt off, the mite problem will still be there, but just a small problem.

Don't know how well you get on with the neighbours though!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I had a mild outbreak earlier in the year and used mite powder in the coop which seemed to eliminate it. I can across the suggestion to spray WD40 in likely locations where it is effective in penetrating cracks etc. I have subsequently tried and there has not been any re-infestation apparent. I have o idea what is in WD40 but the hens seem okay. It must be a lot better than the oft-recommended creosote.

Phil
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Slightly off topic, but I read a post in a Moped Forum called 'How many uses for WD40'.
There must have been over 100 replies, but nothing about Chicken Coops )t'

Bit like furniture polish.

I think the Felt thing is only when there are air gaps. If it isn't absolutely sealed rigid tight, the mites can get in. They are small after all.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

If anyone is looking for a chemical free method of dealing with spider mites I found this...I haven't used it yet as I haven't had them.... yet.

Combine 1/2 cup buttermilk, 4 cups wheat flour and 5 gallons water. Pour liquid into spray bottle. Spray a fine mist.

This apparently suffocates spider mites and other mites. So if anyone decides to try it let me know if it worked and if I'm unlucky and get them I'll let you know.
manda

Post by manda »

I did just think I don't know what the clean up would be like becasue of the flour but I gues it would let you see where you had sprayed and whether you had got it all!!