Lame Chook

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Lame Chook

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Might be a bit over the top this post, but when I let my girls out this morning all was ok. Little light shopping, back home and one of them, the biggest was limping rather badly, though she is managing to hop around the garden, behind the rest it has to be said.

Now - do I leave well alone for a couple of days or should I take remedial action, visit to the vet.

I have had a look myself, but nothing seems outwardly wrong.

Phil*

)chu:

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, it would be stressful for her to catch her and take her to the vet, I think I might wait and see. But you are the one on the spot so you can see if it's bad. If it's a knock or strain what would the vet do anyway?
Last edited by Mo on 31 Jul 2007, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree with Mo. I tend to leave them to see if nature takes it's course one way or the other.
Often, it just goes on it's own.

Maybe she has a splinter, so if not too hard to catch, have a peep.

The fact she's moving around is good. It's when they just sit all day, that it gets worrying.

Hope all's well,

Richard
Last edited by Richard on 31 Jul 2007, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How is she this morning.
I suppose you need to check that she can get at the food and water. Did she get to bed alright last night?
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Poor little thing - I must admit I go overboard, when if nature takes it's course it can usually work out for the best.

How is she now?
Small steps lead to big changes
Morgs
Lively Laner

Try not to worry

Post by Morgs »

too much. When I got my ex batteries, Fenella was completely lame. She'd been out of the factory for two weeks and was with the co-ordinator in Camarthen and barely walking. When I brought her here, she didn't come out of the coop for two days. now she runs around, still limping, but seems more than content. I reckon if you can't see anything such as a splinter, leave well alone and see if she improves.
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Good news, my lame chook is definately on the mend, last out of the house this morning and still a little lame, but I went to do a little light shopping this aft, 2 nice corn on the cob reduced to a £1, nice treat for my girls, on shouting them on my return home my lame girl was in the lead just to be overtaken in the last couple of yards, not bad for a lame chook, thank goodness. I will still keep my beady eye on her, but think all will be well.

Even when she has been lame, she has still been laying, so she must be healthy enough, I have several water containers round the chooks area and spread their feed wide so all can feed without been pushed away by each other, so she has fed and watered well throughout her lameness.

I will take them a large grape each tonight, and moniter her speed as they come to hand for their supper treat.

Phil*

)chu:
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

All is ok now, limp gone and she is chasing round as usual, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,

Phil*

)chu: