Chooks eating eggs???

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
PurpleChick
Learner Laner

Chooks eating eggs???

Post by PurpleChick »

Hi to all,

Has anyone else come across their chooks eating their eggs.

Yesterday I went out to collect the eggs and dropped one, and of course it broke, I was surprised that my birds ate the whole thing, I figured that they would eat the shells but I had no idea that they'd eat the yolk n white!

They are free range around my garden so feast on worms and other bugs as well as their corn and lay pellet mix, so I wouldn't have thought they were vitamin/mineral deficient, or are they just plain scatty!!...actually scrap that...I know they're scatty, that's why I love them! :razz:

morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi Purplechick and welcome to the forum!!

I wouldn't worry. Mine don't eat eggs as a matter of course, but if I drop one and it breaks, then they scoff it like there's no tomorrow!

Personally, when moulting I also give them a bit of scrambled egg for the protein!
Small steps lead to big changes
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Purple chick - I just had to log back on, as immediately after logging off, I starting singing "purple Rain" whilst sitting in my office. Now I'm certainly not a Prince fan (is that who made it), but then realised it was because of your name!!!

:razz:
Small steps lead to big changes
PurpleChick
Learner Laner

Chooks eating eggs

Post by PurpleChick »

Wow they didn't mention anything about feeding cooked eggs in my chicken book - thanks, i think one is beginning to moult so I think I'll try that as she was the one eating most of it...I just thought it was her being greedy, but maybe not
:-D
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Chooks eating eggs???

Post by AnnaB »

Hi PurpleChick
Yes, they eat eggs.....I have an old one (4-5 or so years) and she lays and eats every day. I don't bother too much with her as she and her partner are in a separate part of the run. I have tried in the past with mustard, chilli and horseradish in the empty shell to no avail. Once they get the taste thats it I think. I have stood over her as she laid and she still beats me to it! I would hate my other girls to start this game as they are great mimics and copy each other. Best wishes with what you try.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hi,
I think hens see anything outside the nice dark nest box as FOOD???? and anything in the nest box as EGG (unless it breaks).

If you scan down the previous posts about egg laying you'll see various comments on egg eating. It's when they get the habit of pecking at perfectly good shells that your production goes down, lets hope it's just a one-off.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes, this is a battle I am having at the moment. I thought they weren't laying. But I am beginning to think they are getting them before me.
I have tried blowing the eggs and the mustard thingy and it didn't work.
I was told to raise the nest box [which I have done] and to put golf balls in there [which I have done] This morning I got an egg from the box. But they were eating one that was laid on the floor.
Just need to find how to get them ALL laying in the box and I am away.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning