Fox proof wire for chicken run? Update

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi ya - Has anyone any idea where and what is the best fox proof wire to put on a chicken run? Am having 8 battery hens at the end of this month and would hate to see them end up as Mr/Mrs Fox's dinner. Thanks.
Last edited by Gwenoakes on 12 Aug 2007, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Fox proof wire for chicken run?

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Gwenoakes and welcome.
We have 1/2" weld mesh in our run. I did this as I didn't want rodents and also fox getting my girls.
I don't know where you live but I picked up the stuff to save postage from Ebay (c) (Stratford upon Avon). It was the cheapest I could find anywhere.
All the best with your new venture.....they are so addictive and you will spend hours with them!
Anna
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Gwen.
I have found the best way is male urine.
My OH 'obliges' around where the foxes would come into the garden. Haven't seen one since he has been doing it.
His case comes up in court soon :oops:
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Half inch is good (the thicket the better), it avoids the fox getting it's mouth inside to chew it off. They have teeth like wire cutters.

But, it's a rarer event for that than them getting underneath or over the top.

It's a constant battle of wits and most of us will agree that the fox is indeed a very clever animal!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks everyone, will have a look on ebay and also on some web sites.
Wendy, dont think even my OH can 'service' all the perimiter as we have nearly five acres :wink: . Would like to see him try though LOL.
wendy

Post by wendy »

He either needs to drink a lot of water, Or else have a party and get the guys to 'perform' )grin2( for you.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well have looked on ebay and come up with welded wire mesh 1/2" x 1/2" x 36" x 30m long 19 guage. 32.00 plus 12.00 p & p. We only have to wire one side, so hopefully that will keep Mr and Mrs Fox out. Went out on Saturday and bought a feeder and drinker, plus some red mite powder and a general tonic, just in case. Getting excited now 8) :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Sounds good!

Richard

PS - Lager helps as well!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
melons
Legendary Laner

chooks

Post by melons »

Oh wow wee, 8 new babies, you'll love them!
Can you put your e-bay chicken wire contact in the useful contacts bit, as we've got to get some stuff soon, either for where we are now, or if we move!
Let us know what you call them & put up some pic's too!

Mel
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Gwenoakes
What part of the country are you in? I am thinking of 'pick-up' to save postage....
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have done melons :-D
We are in Lincolnshire near Sleaford Anna B
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Ordered the wire yesterday at 8 a.m., paid by card and it was delivered this morning at 8 a.m. Must say I am impressed. The company is Hills of Devon LLP, Beechlea, Winkleigh, Devon EX19 8DH. Tel No. 01837 83704 - Fax 01837 680088, but no web site. OH will be busy this weekend making the run etc ready for the girls arrival later this month.
One quick question, are all battery hens brown does anyone know? You will maybe think that is a very dumb question, but I really want to know :? . Thanks.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Gwenoakes
All the ones I have are very varying shade of brown - from a light to a very dark. These girls are bred for the time they are supposed to lay for the evil manufacturers. Some times when they are rescued they may die shortly afterwards, you have to be positive about this and hopefully you will be able to give them a long and happy retirement (mine are 4-5 years and 2 and half the other new ones are just over a year old)
I'm glad you got your wire (much cheaper than mine!).
Get plenty of tea, coffee on the go at the weekend for OH and things will be fine!
wendy

Post by wendy »

All the ones I know of are a breed called Lohmanns.
But I have heard of white ones. But not known of anyone who has them.
Wendy

melons
Legendary Laner

my girls

Post by melons »

One of mine is definately of Leghorn X breeding, "huge" comb & yellow legs, another I guess is Barnevelder X due to her very pretty lacing & shape, another I'm guessing Rhode Island X, she is very straight in her back & that typical russet colour, the others are a mish mash of stuff, difficult to tell without any clothes on :shock: that'll be the girls...not me :oops:
They are all so different, but usually descend from some form of laying breed, must say Wendy's breed is a knew one to me, but then I don't know much :-D
My sister rescued one years ago which was white, "she" was very very butch, she had the deepest voice you've ever heard, full of testosterone I should think, it was rescued from a meat breeder, she eventually went off her legs due to the rapid growth verses bone structure, but at least she had a good few months, but jeez was she butch.
Mel
Cheers
mel x