Weather Warning

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Weather Warning

Post by T_Steadman »

I have just tarpaulined half of the chicken run in lieu of tomorrow's dreaded forecast. This will be the first time my chickens will have been in rain. I'm hoping that the tarpaulin gives some form of shelter but is it ok for them to be out in it? Is it ok for them to go to roost wet/damp or will I have to go out with a towel and dry them off before bed? :shock:
Toni
xxxx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

They'll decide that one !!!!! Sometimes they stay in, sometimes not.

Mine have a huge space, but spend half the day sitting under a shelter, sunshine or showers.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I have to say my hens seem surprisingly unperturbed by the rain.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

try giving them a small umbrella
mine dont like holding them under their wings
so i use sticky tape!!!!!
---
--
-----
---
---
-
-
-
-
-
-----
-
----
(and b4 anyone has a go YES I AM JOKING)
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Mine will stay out in the wildest weather, taking delight at messing around in the rain, then the odd time they take shelter when spots of rain are falling. Just make sure the chooks have shelter, and leave it up to them to decide.

Phil* )chu:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Same here Phil. Mine will be drown rats, and they have an awful lot of foliage to go under. But they don't.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

yes, I wouldn't worry - they'll decide what they want to do. Mine prefer being out inthe rain, but sheltered in the sun - well that's the battered head of an ex-batt for you.

Mind you - this time next week, I'll be sunning myself in Santorini.......
Small steps lead to big changes
melons
Legendary Laner

trust mine to be different

Post by melons »

My gals, hate the rain, they all stand in a row under the gazebo, or in their run under cover, they are very patient about it, but getting wet just doesn't seem to be an option for them.
Once the rain has passed, they do like to eat the mud though :shock: They then look like mud wrestlers, their faces get covered in it, not very lady like :wink:
I spent last night making them a new "see through" tarpaulin cover, I've fashioned it out of a huge thick gauge plastic sheet, & fixed it with tie wraps using a ring eyelet maker I brought off e-bay, this now covers their run so they can trot about in the life style they've become accustomed to :wink: 8)
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mine arn't in the least bit bothered about even the worst rain but will seek cover from the mid day sun! not quite so daft methinks.....
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

sun

Post by melons »

One of my dim birds managed to cook herself in the sun & make herself doolally on sunday, she ended up stumbling around & falling over, disorientated, wings hanging low & panting, what next with these girls, so in she came, had a quick spray with cold water & I left her in the cool, she got over it eventually, but she's the only one who doesn't work it out :shock:
Hence their Gazebo set up.

mel
Cheers
mel x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

'Mad dog's and ex-batt chooks go out in the midday sun'

8) 8) 8)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

I've got the tarp up too and the girls def. seem to prefer the cover it gives - they're all huddled in there now. I'm not sure it's just the rain they've taken cover from, but the wind too (looks gale force today and we're very exposed to the wind). They've got loads of places to shelter from sun/rain in the garden, a favourite is the trampoline.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Dave wrote:try giving them a small umbrella
mine dont like holding them under their wings
so i use sticky tape!!!!!

(and b4 anyone has a go YES I AM JOKING)

You say that but I'm still thinking about the nappies for chickens you drew our attention to :wink: