Couple of questions....help please!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

I have three new girls, Speckledy hens - have had them 2 weeks and they have settled really well.

1. - Do they need their water at night?

2. - When should they start to lay? They are 19 weeks old at present and quite big.

Any advice?

Thanks.

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Al B
They don't have water at night as they are asleep. As you know they go to roost at dusk and are ready for action at dawn-break.
As far as the age for laying, look at the other posts as others have had this query - I would not have thought it would be that long now......
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Laying should start at 19 - 22 weeks. Pure breds tend to lay later than hybrids, i.e near 22 weeks.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There'll be a settling down spell as well. Some lay quickly and others are a real pain!

I assume there's water available for after they've got up? Just thinking about if you were out or it was very hot, have they access to fluids?

Not so bad now as the mornings are later, but in summer, they could be up and about at least a couple of hours before you (maybe!).

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome