Large Eggs - a Question.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Large Eggs - a Question.

Post by Phil Black Rock »

We have just returned from Holiday in Scotland, we were reduced to purchasing eggs from the local shop towards the end.

Now, far from been dissapointed with these shop eggs, we were amazed at the colour of shell, and their large size.
Very nice shade of dark brown, and a wonderful golden yolk, "like our eggs", so I assume they were home fed hens.

These extra large eggs came in boxes which we brought home with us, my Black Rock eggs roll around in these boxes, so a question, what breed of hen would lay eggs of such large size.

Thanks Phil* )chu:

Verity
Lively Laner

Post by Verity »

Could they just be occasional large ones? One of our Warrens lays a corker about once a fortnight, which when I say it's massive seems like an understatement! I makes me want to cross my legs! :shock:
Bock? Bock? Bock... bock... BOCKARGH!!!
sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

We get enormous eggs too from two different types of chickens, but not sure which ones approx forthnightly, always double yokes. One is a very light brown egg and the other is usually white. The others a pretty average sized with the occasional tiny one.
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Verity, Sunny

The shop had a large stock of the super size, brown shelled, gorgeous yolk eggs, so they were buying them from a source somewhere close. I really ought to have asked in the shop before we came home as to where they got their eggs from.

Would Rhode Island Reds lay eggs of this size.

)chu: Phil*
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

lol awww I get all excited when my pekins lay 'larger' eggs than usual. They're almost the size of quails eggs bless 'em but they are oh so tasty!

:mrgreen:
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!