Autumnal Habits - noticing changes?!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I use straw in my nest boxes and a paper sack split open on the floor.
I find it best to remove all the poo as they would be walking through it to get to the nest box (not to mention that 2 sleep in a nest box so that job MUST be done daily).
The sack gets replaced when it's yucky (depends on the weather, but regularly). We get plenty of feed sacks for hens and Ruths horses.

Morgs
Lively Laner

It's so sad

Post by Morgs »

to see the hens going to bed earlier and earlier each night...means nights are drawing in and summer's over!

I'm glad to see I'm doing pretty much the same as everyone else - newspaper on the floor of the coop, straw on top, and a rubber glove to pick out the poo each morning, followed by changing paper and straw approx every three days. haven't had mine thru a winter yet, so am expecting lots more mess in the coop.

Mine are moulting - feathers everywhere.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Similar for me except I lay newspaper under the perch so eaach day I can roll it up and lay frsh paper. keeps the litter clean.
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

I clean the poop each morning by using a cat litter scoop - the clean shavings fall through and the poop stays in clumps which I then put in the compost. I then sprinkle a bit of the coop disinfectant powder in and mix it in to the shavings - this leaves it smelling sweet for the rest of the day. This takes me five minutes. They don't tend to go indoors during the day so this only needs doing once. If the sawdust looks really grimy then I replace the lot -about every 4 weeks. I bought a huge bale from a feed merchants and it looks as if it will last for ever!I have lined the coop floor with a piece of tarpaulin so it just lifts out.
Outdoors I rake their pen a couple of times a week and remove any obvious mess. They have a small run for when I am out which has bark in, and a larger fenced area for when someone is around. I am already considering letting them roam the garden but am quite attached to many of my plants so can't make up my mind!!
I think everyone needs to work out a system that suits them - it can be quite easy if you adapt the coop.
wendy

Post by wendy »

If you have precious plants....don't do it LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Yes, I let mine free range, and whilst they don't eat the plants so much, they do have a very nice dust bath right next to them and have exposed all the roots in my new Virginia Creeper!
katandjames
Learner Laner

Post by katandjames »

i know that the chickens will gradually begin laying less, or stop completely as the nights draw in, but is there any way of prolonging their laying period. i have heard something about a fluorescent tube, a car battery and a segment timer, but is this true??? and if it is is it ethical, and if it is, how do you go about doing it???
thanks again!
kat and james
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Yes you can fix up lights in the coop to extend the hours of light to keep egg-laying going and this is what commercial producers do. Younger hens will often lay during the winter but as they get older this tends to stop. Personally I am happy to let nature takes its course and take what comes. If you have hens that are laying virtually every day for months on end, perhaps they deserve a break during the winter. I also like the feeling of expectation, like looking forward to plant shoots eventually poking through the ground in spring. Interestingly enough my hens began laying again on the 2nd of January when the increase in light was hardly perceptable (to us anyway).
wendy

Post by wendy »

I personally don't think it is very ethical either, as PK says they are giving their all while they can. They deserve a rest.
Our poor ex battery hens have been nearly laid out by the time we get them, poor little souls. Yet mine have still laid over the winter months, not as much but still eggs.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Autumnal Habits - noticing changes?!

Post by AnnaB »

Phil
I agree with you especially ex battery girls - they have done their bit and more and they deserve a rest from laying.
There is a small commercial farmer around here who keeps them under light for 14 hrs per day (at least they get 10hrs sleep and they free range) which as he has to earn a living they are not in cages.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I have a feeling i'm going to sound daft but here we go... My ladies are free range, at dusk they wander through the open door of their run, into their hen house and put themselves to bed because I presume its dark, enclosed and they feel safe in there..
The run door and pop hole of the hen house are then closed for security..
I have read about artificial light used to lengthen the days etc.. but unless you have a large shicken shed.. where could you place it? If I had it in the hen house (sleeping quarters) and it came on at 6am.. they'd want to get out - and outside would still be dark! There would be no point in putting it in the run as they wouldnt see it and anyway it would look like a 'chook rave' to the neighbours..
Nature deemed it necessary for them to have a break from laying so I recon nature should be allowed to rule here...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just up-dating.

In the last two weeks mine have dropped from 5/6 per day to 2/3.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

In the last seven days I've had 34 eggs from 6 hens, so not bad.
Also 3 broken remains (one this morning).
The hens I've had for a year are laying six a week, the ones I've had 3 years are averaging four a week.
melons
Legendary Laner

eggs

Post by melons »

My ladies are still in full flow, but to be honest I'm quite looking forward to them getting a break, as we don't eat them & I really want them to have a proper rest, also, one sleeps in the the nest, so when it's going to be already dark when I get home, her head will be pressed on the roof :shock:
Cheers
mel x