HELP! New Hen being bullied

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...my neighbour rang me this morning to tell me she could see the 3 black rocks pecking and chasing the new maran!
I must admit, I did notice some of her feathers missing, and she wont come out of the nesting box.
Should I be keeping them apart completely??
Im so worried, I might have to go home, i know OH is there, but i hate knowing that my chooks are distressed!

Gedda

wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya,
That's the trouble with just the one, if you have two or more, it is a problem shared.
I kept mine apart for 24 hours, but in the run. Some suggest for a week. But you will still get some pecking when they are put together.
They are so sweet, but can turn into monsters when so motivated.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

They were separated for a day, I hoped that it would be enough. Am really worried, it must have been a big fight for my neighbour to ring me at work!
:cry:
Shall I keep them apart still. or let them get on with it??
wendy

Post by wendy »

That's difficult.
I think you have to see what is going on to judge.
If she won't come out, then she is frightened.
I might try to seperate and let them together, perhaps later in the day/evening, when I can moniter and give them a lot of different bowls of goodies or scatter some around so they are busy eating and start to integrate. Certainly sleep together. Someone says to spray them with a vinegar/water solution. So they smell the same. But I am not sure how good their sense of smell is.
Wonder what anyone else thinks.
I have had pecking, but no ganging up and the hens weren't so frightened they didn't come out. But mine are ex battery hens so this was way of life for them unfortunately. Your poor little girl has probably never had this before.
Wendy

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i did a 30/70 vinegar to water mix, seemed to work for the bedtime bit but still happened in the day! just found myself guarding them and walking round the other side of the run constantly as it distracted them a little, and the new girls just ran away from the oldies....so didnt get pecked!
is all sorted out now though, bar a 'im boss' peck once a week or so!

maybe if you put them together for half hour and left it a few hours and put them together again but seperate with mesh in the meantime. introduce them little and often if you get what i mean!

good luck :(
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to hear you are having bullying going on.
Two of my ladies were not so well as the other six and seemed to be picked on quite a lot. They stayed in the barn for approx a week, but slowly as they felt better they ventured out into the run. I made certain there was plenty of interesting bits and pieces on the run floor to keep them all happy and scratching round. So less time for bullying.
Wish you luck, let us know how your little one gets on please.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Thank you very much everyone, I really appreciate your advice.
Just to let you know, I kept Rosemary in the nesting box overnight, and let them all out in the garden during the day today - initially, Rosemary was hiding amongst the shrubs, with Marigold (my very naughty Black Rock) screaming at her.
I put down some crab-apples to distract them, and then Rosemary did eventually come out.
By this afternoon, she had joined the group, but I've put her to bed in the nesting box again, so she can have some respite.

She is very cuddly, and lets me stroke her - but only on her neck, her back is almost bald, poor baby.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day, but I think things are getting (slowly) better.

PS Do you think the Vinegar will sting her on her bald bits??

Gedda
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

only ifs its an open wound! i wouldnt do it if the skin was broken, and remember that vinegar will dry the skin somewhat!
gandalfthegrey
Learner Laner

Post by gandalfthegrey »

The OH did use a small amount of vinegar and with a day of mixing around the garden its helped and tonight when I went to shut them all up I found them all but one huddled together in the house! (not enough room in the nesting box) which I forgot to shut before they wandered home tired! after a day of roaming......Success!!!

I have got them all feeding from my hand (grapes from the vine) which they go mad over but the rest of group were not pecking at Rosemary infact she wanders around with the Light Sussex....I am pleased and relieved no more stressed chooks and wife!!!Thanks for all your help and advice..
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

aww thats great!

congrats at making a happy home for all :-D

kat
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I second that!

Keep us posted won't you.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the wizard.
gandalfthegrey
Learner Laner

We have our first Egg!

Post by gandalfthegrey »

An excited wife had to let me know that today we have had our first egg!!! so I am confident that our ladies are happy and most certainly no squabbles that I have seen. Only one prob. this morning from the bathroom I heard one of my ladies getting upset and went to investigate to find that despite the wing clipping they had jumped the fence and were in with next doors hens! social I know but she seemed to be stressed not to be able to get back I retrieved my lady and she was fine but the question is how apart from clipping wings, which I am not that fond of doing do we stop it and if they do what's the best way to get her back without knocking on the door saying, "can I have my chicken back please?" any ideas welcome.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I suppose you could put a top on the run, if it is low, then hinge it so it opens and you can walk inside.
Did she get up onto something to jump over? because they are great at finding things to 'help' them on their way.
Wendy

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi gandalfthegrey

I'm a firm believer in pond netting as its cheap and light, it is not fox proof but it does contain the girls.

Anna