Have space - wanted chickens. They've arrived!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

paxo wrote:how do you attach the bottle to the wood ? Just nails or something else

I used a screw through a small piece of plywood.

Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Today's entertainment in the run was provided by......

our Chrismas tree!!

I've put it in there, still in it's base so that we can water it. They all stood under it, then played a sort of 'ring a ring a roses' game.
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

Russell, this thread has been a hoot! I am glad things seem to have settled down for you,

Bye for now,
happy new year
Everything comes to those who wait...
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Russell,

I am still so jealous of your hens lodge as you so rightly call it, the name house wouldn't do it justice and now you've built them a bridge!!

My girls have managed to demolish part of their run over Christmas and New Year (too many parties??) Mainly I think due to Daisy & Clementine being big birds in every sense of the word. I don't think the run could bear their weight any longer (they used to perch on top of it). Perhaps I'm not the only one who needs to go on a diet now!!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Unfortunately, last week, we lost Betty. She went the same way as the other Point-of-Lay's. Went to nothing in a matter of a couple of days, then fell off her perch overnight. That's the bad news.

The good news is that we had our first full house today: six hens; six eggs. )c(
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

They're doing very well bless them )t' It is sad when a disease sneaks in like that, I always sneer at his advert now in the PP magazine :cry:
Cheers
mel x
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Update

Everything going well - touchwood!

Still have 6: Chav, Mollie, Sarah, Rachel, Ruby and Buzz. All laying well, but we've had a couple of soft shells, but one double yolker to compensate.

Things of note since the last post was the time that I stripped back a load of ivy from the wall in their garden. It was raining snails, and they all had a feast. Mollie has grown loads of new feathers, but the others have eaten them already. :?

I have noticed that they are brilliant at finding glass. I can walk around their patch and pick up all the glass I can find - then the next day there's just as much.

A few days ago I could hear them all squawking aloud. I went to their area and could see them running in and out of their run. There was a pigeon in there, and it couldn't get out. I had to catch it and let it go to resume normal service.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Glad alls well in the happy hen house.
Sounds like you've waved their bug into the history books too )t'
Cheers
mel x