Another death

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Another death

Post by MotherHen »

Hello

My little Pekin died last night, I had only had her 3 months and she replaced the previous Pekin that I had. Both girls died in the same way, total lethargy over a few days and gave up. I took them to the vets on both occasions but other than a post mortom they couldn't say what the cause was.

I am new to chicken keeping and have no idea what could have caused these deaths. I have 3 other chickens (Oprington, Marin and a Wyndotte), these all seem OK.

Having said that I haven't had any eggs for weeks. They are either broody or moulting!!! Does anyone have any advice for me or ideas what could have caused these deaths and will my girls ever lay again?

I would really appreciate any advice that can be offered

Thanks

From a very sad Motherhen :( :( :(

melons
Legendary Laner

oh bless

Post by melons »

Oh what a shame, you must be really sad about that, they are strange animals, they look at deaths door one minute, then perked up a treat the next, the minute mine see the heat pad & basket come out of the shed, that snaps them out of it :-D
It's very difficult to say what could be the problem with such few symptoms, but if you happen to loose any more (god forbid) maybe a PM will put your mind at rest.
Sorry to hear your news.

mel
Cheers
mel x
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

:( So sorry to hear your news.
Im very new to chicken keeping, and am unable to offer advice, but can send you a hug.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Another death

Post by AnnaB »

MotherHen
Sorry to hear of your loss, I don't know about breeds as I only have ex battery girls. melons has a point about a PM, you will then at least know what is causing it.
Best wishes Anna
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh Dear how sad, I am so sorry.
As Mel says they are so up and down. Did you get them from the same supplier? it may be him that has the problem, as your other girls are OK.
Moulting could cause them not to lay.
Big Hugs
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

sorry to hear your sad news

afraid i cannot offer anything either, are you having the post mortom done?

kat
MotherHen
Learner Laner

Post by MotherHen »

Thanks for your words of kindness, I am keeping a close eye on the others and will definately go along the route of a PM if we lose another one.