New to chicken keeping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Rob_h
Lively Laner

New to chicken keeping

Post by Rob_h »

I've just just finished building a coop and run and the run is about 4' x 20'. The coop is about 4 1/2' x 4 1/2' x 6'. It is positioned in our orchard and we would like the ladies to wander free around the orchard but as we both work full time, we only want them wandering free when we are at home otherwise we are worried about foxes. We are in a very rural location and we have a fox's lair in a ditch about 200 feet from the orchard.

How many chickens would you advise for the coop and run? The orchard itself is about 130' x 60'. We want them to have as much space as possible. Would they be stressed by keeping kept in the coop on some days and let out in the orchard on others? There wouldn't be any real routine as we both work different duties and shifts, some lates some earlies etc.

We have tried to source rescued battery hens but I seem to be struggling with the BHWT as the two dates they have had rescues so far I have been either working or on holiday and they can only hold them for that day. I have tried the only battery farm in the area but they won't have any until christmas....

Last edited by Rob_h on 19 Sep 2007, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Welcome Rob_h. That chicken house and run looks amazing - I'm really jealous as I have 3 chicks with a much smaller run. You could get a fair few in there I'd imagine!!

Shame about BHWT - I had mine from them- (Bury in Lancashire), but the co-ordinator has a shed for the spent batts, so I could go at a weekend when it suited me.
I keep mine in the run at sometimes, then let them out when I'm in. I'm sure some would say a routine is best, but mine seem fine with it. It's funny, because when they see me, they get all excited wondering whether they're going to be let out, or whether it's just a quick feed and rush off.
Small steps lead to big changes
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Rob..
That hen house is pretty splendid, did you make it?
I'm not sure about the amount of hens to keep in a house that size but I recon a minimum of 7.
Since they are only in there to sleep, I think it boils down to roosting space.. I'm sure someone on here will be able to let you know how much 'perch' each hen requires..
If you are installing your own perches, just make sure they are not directly over each other..(they poo loads at night)

As for them getting stressed at being kept in on some days... They may well be quite 'unchuffed' with you and let you know in fairly loud terms when you come into site.. but I've had to leave mine in for a day or two before now and give them treats hung around the run.. they also have various perches etc.. so they dont get too bored. They havent stopped laying or become sulky because of it though so dont worry too much.. )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

woweee look at that. Clever old you. It looks great.

Unfortunately the BHWT can only collect them when the farmers let them go.

have you tried any other co ordinators that might not be close, but close enough to drive to. I got my girls from Kent and I live near Watford. It was a trek but work every single mile and second of time.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Willow wrote:Hi Rob..
That hen house is pretty splendid, did you make it?

Thank you, yes I did but as you can see from the photos of the coop in the orchard and the ones near my workshop before the run was fitted, I had to redesign the roof due to a small leak between the nest box and main roof (a design flaw overcome with the use of crank/storm hinges).

We have tried Norfolk and Lincolnshire so far with no joy. As much as we want to rescue ex-battery hens, we don't want to travel too far - we have been looking at 1 1/2 to two hours with the areas we have tried so far. I am on holiday on the next rescue date for the two previously mentioned rescuers and so we are missing out again!!
Last edited by Rob_h on 19 Sep 2007, 16:20, edited 2 times in total.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

hi, if I can help then I will, this is Jeans phone number for the BHWT01621 891422
She is in Essex, I am also from Cambridgshire, I went to her in Essex for my girls, as the road system was quicker & better than lincoln & Norfolk from here, it took me an hour each way, she is a real poppet, the girls had already travelled all the way from Devon that day, so another hour was not ideal, but it got 5 more girls a home & they all survived it, even after having been put through a forced moult in the battery farm, they were in a state, but obviously quite tough little girls.
When are you away? her next rescue date says Aug /Sept. I know of a rescue date in December from Haddenham near Ely / Cambridge too, if that helps you?
Cheers
mel x
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Thanks. I've tried to call Jean a few times but go no answer (no ansaphone). I have spoken to a local farmer - in Stamford - and he said I can have six but not until about 23rd December and we really wanted to have them by then. If you could let me know the december date for Ely it would be appreciated.
Last edited by Rob_h on 19 Sep 2007, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
melons
Legendary Laner

December

Post by melons »

I've also asked Linda who I got my sisters chickens from, she was due a rescue date, I'll keep my ears to the ground.
I'll also ask my friend who knows about the December rescue, she is going to get some extras then, & 50 for another guy.
What a shame about Jean, I called during the day, it's either her or her daughter who coordinate it.
They are around, we'll find you some :-D .....but there have been reports of a shortage of pullets to replace stocks.
Keep your fingers crossed :-D
Cheers
mel x
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Great news - Jane has been in touch and Jean from Essex has very kindly agreed to hold the girls for a week until we get back from the USA. so we'll be collecting mid October.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done Rob for being persistant.
These little hens have had an awful life in the battery, being shut in small cages, with four or five others, all their laying life. The light is manipulated so they have 3 days in 48 hours. Thus getting them to lay more eggs. As they have nothing to do and cannot stretch, have no quiet nest box to lay etc. etc in other words cannot be a chicken. You get pecking, some are worse than others. But regardless of their state they have all been to hell and back. After giving their all they are all sent to slaughter and go into pies, soups, stock cubes and baby food.
You are doing a lovely thing for these girls, who at this moment do not know that your lovely home is awaiting their arrival. Apart from saving their lives, you will give them the chance to be a chicken for the first time in their lives.
Well done you.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Thanks very much. We really don't mind whether the ladies lay eggs or not - they are more than welcome to potter around the orchard and enjoy their time with us. We can never kill anything here so when they have stopped laying - if they do - they can have a lovely retirement home. Overall we have an acre and a third so I somehow think these ladies won't be the last.....
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Hi Rob
Did you design the house yourself? I'm thinking of making one and would appreciate any tips.
melons
Legendary Laner

oh bless

Post by melons »

That's such a nice happy ending :-D aren't the BHWt great?
Post us some pic's.

mel
Cheers
mel x
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Russell wrote:Hi Rob
Did you design the house yourself? I'm thinking of making one and would appreciate any tips.

Russell, I'm no expert and these things are always a learning experience but I picked a couple of things up along the way. First
ly, even though I used expensive T&G - I still needed to seal the joints because I set out the T&G horizontally and not vertically. Next time I would defintely place the tongue & groove boards verticlly to avoid leaks.
Secondly, the roof should be overlapped boards (see the difference between the photo without the run and the later photo). This way the water can run off. Thirdly, after a quick redesign I placed an overlapping board between the joint of the roof and nesting box and made the roof of the nest box slightly lower than the main roof. First time out the water was dripping bewtween the gap and into the next box. Rather than the T-hinges shown in the photo I used crank or storm hinges which are about £10 a pair but are almost like step shape http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=5_541. This means there can be a difference in height between the next box and main roof to avoid leaks. Go for the brass ones to avoid rusting.

I am afraid I didn't draw plans, I just sort of make these things up as I go along (as you can see from my revisions). Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Last edited by Rob_h on 19 Sep 2007, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Thanks Rob, that's interesting that you built it 'freehand'.

I've just been gifted a 'donor' 8' x 5' garden shed to make into a hen house. I'll be freehanding myself in a day or two.