eggs, eggs and more eggs.....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

i could double my fleet of birds and still sell all the eggs
once the word gets around everyone wants them
i even have a reseve list of people who want fresh eggs
its crazy
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln

morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Willow - well done with the dried leafy thingies- you have been good!!!

I did stop doing that before they were banned long ago, however 2 stone and a drunken time later, they were back to stay. Still trying to shift that extra lard, so will leave it to another day, sometime in the future........when I push up daisies :mrgreen:

Nobody has chickens etc where I live and everyone goes mental for them - I think that's why I can charge 70p - I'm sure I could charge a pound as I have no competition.

I only have 3 girls now and get about 14 a week, but as it's only me that eats them, I generally sell 2 boxes a week
Small steps lead to big changes
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

the ladies i work with love updates on my chooks and their progress. they were all excited when i first got them and wanted to see the photos to see the consequences of battery caged hens, made a couple of them cry.
they see the ladies having a better life with me and like our eggs because they know where theyve come from!
i only ask for donations towards their food and they tend to pay between £1 and £1.20 for 1/2 doz :)
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

The selling point for mine at £1 for 6 is that they are organically fed.
They have bought a bag of corn and pellets (£14+) for themselves and now have enough for a bag of litter and more pellets. We eat eggs but there is a limit!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

lol anna
there are only so many eggs one can eat hey!! :shock: :-D )t'
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Selling point for my free range eggs is "happy smiley chooks who love digging around in smelly compost heaps and eat lots of worms, beetles, maggots and flies.. and grass and flowers.".. Maybe I'll just stick to the 'happy smiley chicken' bit.... :shock: )t'
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Mrs PK gave some eggs to a work colleague who insisted on paying - £1 fror 6. Word got round and others started to order. They all insist that this is good value because of the quality of fresh eggs naturally produced. We can't meet the demand.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yes, it's easy to undercharge when you compare to Shop prices.

I only charge 60p, but most people square it up to £1 and refuse change.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

Well, I charge £1 for 6, or £2 for 12, works for me. Friends, neighbours and relatives seem happy to buy them at that. It just about pays for the feed, bedding and sundries. With just 6 chooks it certainly is not a get rich quick scheme.

Phil* )chu:
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I sold my first 6 last week for £1... and they're bantam eggs! I have a sign up in my window that says 'Fresh bantam eggs for sale - Free range and organic' Even though the eggs are weeny people still seem happy to pay £1 cos they know where they come from.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Do you still have to test them for Salmonella if you sell to the 'public'?
I only sell to friends and I read that tha is ok.
When you've got regular customers you could always take the notice down, by then they will be friends anyway.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Mo
I think you will find that the ex battery girls have had all their medication against everything. I test for salmonella by eating the eggs I want!
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

hybreds are salmonella free
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just a point and I don't want to put anyone off.

If you're selling eggs with a sign up - it is possible that someone may come to look at the chooks.
If so, you would need to ensure you are only giving them 'proper chicken food'. No scraps and treats etc. and prove 'what you're saying on the label'.
Also, you are not supposed to use old egg boxes.

When I sell them from the gate (very rarely and bare in mind we're down a no through lane and very few walk down here), I just put 'Eggs from my back garden chickens' and take the chance etc.

I'm really truly not trying to put anyone off, but selling at the gate can be a tad open.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I got some cheap egg boxes off ebay :) which are fine. I don't mind if anyone wants to see my girls (authorities) as they live in a clean environment and get fed all the necessary feed. Funny isn't it. Poor old battery hens get kept in places we can't see but organic free range birdies are still quizzed...

By the way when's the next rescue?
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!