Winter laying?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Winter laying?

Post by Rob_h »

My nearest neighbour - who lives across the fields from me - said that his hens normally stop laying around November and don't really start again until February. He has about a dozen hens and he said they aren't really laying much now and it dwindles to virtually zero over the next few weeks normally. Is this usual?

PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Hi Rob - yes this is normally. Egg laying is very sensitive to light levels and during the winter it will tail off. You might find younger birds in their first year laying the odd egg during this time. Mine re-started onm the 2nd january this year.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mine are stll laying one each per day.. they havent started molting either....
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

The first winter of my ex battery girls, they laid exactly the same. The second it tailed off a bit, but I still got eggs daily, just not so many. Now of course I think they lay weekly instead of daily LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think you might be lucky. It depends on the age and maybe breed of the hens.

I bought my first 3 hens in March '03 and the first winter they still laid 6 each /week. One of them died suddenly the next summer but the Peggy carried on laying well through the next winter and reasonably well up to November 05. After that hardly any eggs. She was a Black Rock and gave me 785 eggs in that time! The other was a White Star (a very lightweight hybrid, maybe bred for a year of frantic battery egg production), started laying soft shells in Autumn 04 and was very sporadic after that (474 eggs in 18mnths, 84 after that).
The next lot also laid fairly consistently for 2 years, They were bought in September 04, they did moult in winter 06 but only had a few weeks off, then a couple off eggs each / week for a while, and 2 are going strong now, laying 4 or 5 a week.

Then last September I went back for some more, the breeder had retired and relatives had taken over. This lot moulted and didn't lay well over their first winter. I had a few eggs from them though. But they've not laid as many eggs as the Black Rocks, even in summer.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

As read already above and I'm sure that others will add to it....

You just don't know.

I've had a winter with absolute zero, for 3 month's it lasted.

On average, I'd say that over the years, egg laying has halved during winter, but much depends on housing, inside pens / arks, free range etc.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome