Some fairly dumb questions from a beginner!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Some fairly dumb questions from a beginner!

Post by AnnaB »

Alasdair

That was not flattery....I speak as I find - look at my posts! I always thank people when they have been helpful (this came from my OH) he always phones if he has had good service from someone and they are taken aback by it, they reply that people only phone to complain....
It works as they will always remember you in the future.

Alasdair
Learner Laner

Post by Alasdair »

In that case I've very appreciative - did my apprenticeship on one of the Revenue helplines and that kind of call always made my day! :-D

Btw, do chickens eat rubber? I was thinking of stopping the drafts round the door in the coop with foam rubber, but would they just peck it away?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Re the cost of chooks... I believe we paid about £7.50 each for ours & they definately weren't Point-of-Lay.. (about to lay) I can only recommend them, they are so laid back and became very tame within days.. They couldnt give a hoot about the weather as they've proved this summer! As for the egg production, I havent yet read about a chook that can beat them for 'length of lay (throughout life apperently) and the shell quality doesnt deteriorate with age either.. which happenes in most high production birds.. (So I've read).. ^b: )t'
I'm not sure about the foam rubber... I dont think I'd use it as mine definately have a peck at most things.. My dogs had fun with a sponge in the garden the other day... before I could gather up the debris, the chooks had grabbed a piece and were chasing each other around for it...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My guess is that they'd have a peck to see what it was too.
No reason for thinking so, though.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I agree, they'll eat it!!! Probably go straight through, but could be a risk.

You can't go wrong with the Black Rocks, lay well, lovely coloured eggs and quite beautiful with it.
Personally I've always done well with Black Rocks and Morans when I've 'gone pedigree'.
For some reason, the Sussex's I've had have had problems.

Probably just me.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome