Bullying in the run!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
tanya
Learner Laner

Bullying in the run!

Post by tanya »

Thanks for all you comments and helpful suggestions re. the introduction of our 2 new hens. One is fine and is laying eggs (although does still get the occasional peck). She seems to have found the courage to stand up to the original 2 hens and is quite happy.

Our new brown hen is just about getting there. She still won't burst out of the house with the other 3 in the mornings and makes a dash for safety if the others come too close, but at least I have seen her out and about in the run. Hopefully, she'll gain in confidence.

Curious observation - but the bullying was being done by the white hen to the new white hen and the brown hen to the new brown hen. Do chickens see in colour?

chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Hiya
I was under the impression that they could see certain colours, green,orangeand of course red being the main( correct me if I'm wrong anyone).The weird thing is they are supposed to get on better with the same colour/breed. I s'pose yours havn't read the book then...
There is always one lowest in the pecking order (there has to be).MWhen I've introduced mine, they have eventually settled down over time. Sometimes it has taken weeks so be patient with them! they eill sort it out eventually. I didn't read your initial message but I know these lot will give god advise...
Best wishes
Wendy (Chucky Egg)