Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by KarenE »

Sandy - no more pictures of poo!! {rofwl}

Ouch for poor Gwensie, no wonder she can be a little raptor like if she's got those brewing away inside. It might be a double yolker!

And BETH is 007? Oooh that's got to hurt a certain Of Hens. What number is Gwen now anyway? Ever such a sweet photo of Beth though {hug} And iris definitely has a look in her eye, I wouldn't want to mess with her or anything! (Have to be Psycho to do that)

Do you have sloes growing at the back of your garden then? You lucky thing. We have to go to the next village along to find our nearest, I made gorgeous sloe gin last year )hic(
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Yes sloes are on our land we bought off railway where the girl's home is, we have hops too )hic( Gwen is 004(sad though) Iris always looks eveilish bless she has one pupil larger than the other.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hops? Have you ever tried brewing anything up? Assuming enough grow, I don't know how many hops you actually need. I have some lager from a kit on the go at the moment, never made beer before so it's a bit of an experiment! Should be ready in about a month.

Gwen is 004? Yes, sad but i daresay Gwen will enjoy the prestige of the position. Who is 003? Is it Ruby Ruby Ruby Ruby?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Rubes is indeed 003. 001 and 002 seem to change everyday!
Never tried brewing the hops, I would post you our sloes when they are ripe if they make it through the Royal Mail :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You mean you don't make your own sloe gin? Oh you should, it's great and i don't even like gin or spirits. Plus it makes great christmas presents.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen I dont make sloe gin, cannot stand the smell, my neighbour keeps threatening to make beer but never gets around to picking the hops. I have been a WAG this week, worried about Gwen she keeps sitting down and putting her leg out curling up her toes. Hmmm yesterday she was chasing Beth and I noticed the limp! Nothing on her leg so must have landed awkwardly, those b***** cube ladders have a lot to answer for too. Took tons of photos today but will keep the others for another day so just a few…
Bridge to their house
I cant believe everyday I go over another branch or weed has grown over the bridge.
Sunday lunch for the girls, and the peds as babysitting
In the Ped house. Star was given a spa yesterday as very mucky bum. Millie also had a hardened mucky bum but hates being touched so caught her and sat her on the duckhouse , lifted her so feet dangling and cut off huge clumps of poo, weird she preened my arm the whole time lke Beryl used to do

Thats the duck house Silkiebabe is brooding in
The neighbouring houses
Sorry Karen this is poo fertilsier
I spent ages cutting back the blackberry bushes and now they are heading toward the girls house again
Sooty nextdoors cat wanted to play, little b***** had a blackbird yesterday and a pigeon today!
Olive went to bed at 3.00pm when I came back at 4.00 was up but no egg but was ok. Gwen was in bed at 5.30 when I came in she got up, aroung 7.00 Ruby and Gwen went to bed and were arguing, honestly there were only two of them in!

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Such lucky chooks to have you caring for them.

That's a pretty puddy tat, but sounds like I wouldn't want to be a bird in his neck of the woods!

Hope Gwen's limp improves. No swollen pad/black scab? Bet it was the first thing you looked for. I'm neurotic about it now!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You can rest assured Henny I checked Gwen's feet, not sure what they are supposed to look like underneath so Ruby and Olive were used as comparisons. I have had 7 eggs for two days from my newly named Magnificient Seven, 5 a day the last couple. OLive has had quiet moments when Ruby will then try a fight with Iris, no chance Ruby! Took these on the weekend
Martha-Joans and Beth, as soon as I sit down these two are on the bench with Beth on my lap
Ruby sometimes likes a bit of lap time, but not for long

The undecided leaders Iris and Olive
Elsa bless still stays up late, 8.45 tonight, funny since June 21st the girls are going to bed a bit earlier every night regardless of the light.
MJ 11 months now and she still hasnt refeathered completely though of course her neck feathers are back
Elsa does get about 4 mealworms sneaked to her while I am collecting up the leftover pellets in the night
Olive went at bed at 3.50, thought she may be laying but no and came back down later
Elsa Abigail again
My Iris Ivy, bless her legs are going very pink again, just her
Gwen,Iris and Ruby having some sort of gossip?
Beth Alison, bless still bottom girl but soooo spunky
Sure there is some muttering going on here
Oh MJ why must you poo on my bench!

Gwen and MJ, Gwen's limp seems much better, sits down a lot but also back to running
Martha-Joans was the worst one to dust with DE yesterday bless her
I shall be writing to Omlet, horrors did their cube clean yesterday afternoon and tons of REDMITE in the crevice between nesting box and perches, HOW it is totally plastic. Checked over the girls minutely and nothing on them still had a dustin each anyway.
Iris and Beth froze, Olive and Ruby took it in their stride, Martha-Joans attempted a struggle, Gwen stood like a good girl making her growly noises and Elsa acted as if I was trying to kill her, have some lovely scratches down my arm. I am really annoyed as expect to find some in the cottage I mean it is wooden and the weather is hot.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

JUly 2 and the 3 I have written on wall diary girlies ok and Elsa up very late again. July 4 I wasn;t happy with Elsa's breathing, yes I am totally paranoid after Georgie and Beryl. July 5 Elsa back to not breathing , you know what I mean, Gwen challenged Iris for top slot, is she mad, and of course lost then beat up Martha-Joans just for fun I suppose. July 6 had a nice time in with girls, they had some yoghurt which makes me laugh especially my Iris who has such long wattles, once one got stuck over her eye bless. July 7 Elsa breathing a bit noticable again shone a torch on her late at night and breathing fine. Been getting between 5 to 6 eggs per day, including two softies and one laid on top of ladder that rolled down and broke. July 8 Well tonight couldn't find Beth, not walking about in the dusk with Elsa, found in her the nestbox in the office, soon got her placed in the back of the cube. July 9 Silkiebabe finally un broody, back on the perch in proper house at night time, nice to see her running about again. Had to check Olive over as very un pyscho today but seemed fine. Gwen was abed at very early but as soon as she heared me out she came. July 10 Gwen very quiet, sat down a lot she went ot bed by 6.00pm but out again when I returned at 8.00 pm and was fine, no egg laid? Oh dear noticed Star breathing quite badly and comb going dark purple, checked her over so hard around vent just like Beryl {cry} July 11 At 7.30 am just leaving the girls when hell of a commotion in office, I went back in and found Ruby's comb bleeding so applied gentian violet, no idea who the culprit was, properly Olive or Iris as Ruby still fancying her chances. JUly 12 Well this was an evening, everyone up at 8.30 pm as Gwen was stood at the top of the ladder growling! Earlier she had been walking about ,stopping and glancing all around, and Ruby was like stood most of the day trance like! They all looked like eagles with their wings out when I finally got them all in.
Today, out of the blue noticed a home was wanted for a noisy girl just a few miles away so we welcomed Beryl, yes that is her name but for obvious reasons she has been renamed Blanche-Beryl. Of course there was tussling but she is of course separated for now, seems happy scratching about and is quite quiet at the moment bless her. Ruby and Martha-Joans are very very vocal today!

My beautiful old girl the fruit loop Iris checks BB out
Beth seems to be excited, but I don't think she will be losing her bottom position

Ladylil
Learner Laner

Post by Ladylil »

BB looks very happy, can't believe she's quiet for once! Thanks for adopting her, I'm hoping the remaining girls will be much quieter in the morning now - fingers crossed...
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Laura if they do annoy the neighbours they are quite welcome to join Blanche-Beryl )t'
BB laid on her first morning, long time since I have seen a white egg, 11 months infact from my Elsie. She got on the perch the first night but sat on the bedding last night. Who to give her some company? No way Iris,Ruby and Gwen. Martha-Joans and Elsa can be naughty with Beth. That left pyscho Olive or bottom girl Beth. Seriously Olive is only nasty when vying for a top spot Iris and stopping Ruby from trying it on. You know you never put a bottom hen in with a newbie because they can see the opportunity to lose their ranking but Beth is such a good natured soul I thought I would give it a go. Bearing in mind Gwen was all sweetness and light until uppity upstarts arrived then she went total raptor. Well for 2 hours this afternoon I tried it, they ignored one another totally and then met, Beth froze, BB looked curious and then they continued with what they were doing. Have left them alone now unsupervised, poor Beth has been wondering why she cannot run around everywhere, I have opened the side garden so they can have more room much to the displeasure of the others. Ruby very keen to see what was going on as was MJ, didnt have camera when Gwen walked up to the fence and the LOOK!

Blanche-Beryl is chatty but way quieter than any of my other girls!
Star a little better but still needs lots of >fi<

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Beth and Blanche-Beryl spent last night together and all day today, just tucked them up snuggled together. Beth is still hankering to join the other girls, silly girl. She has had two whole days without anyone pecking her. She and BB even had their mealworms together in a very civilised manner. BB has Elsie's moan, both Sussex girls but def but loud.6 eggs yesterday 5 today including BB's white ones. This morning Elsa attempted to lay on the plastic drawers in the office as Iris and Ruby were in office nest and Martha-Joans and Gwen in cube nest. Beth's little brown egg was sat nest to BB's in the cottage. Tomorrow I shall be doing a bit more of a mix, I have had solo girls before and getting them integrated quickly is best for them but of course I am not expecting miracles.
More >fi< for Star Ped please, well any >fi< would be nice

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hmmm yes it has been less than a week so did a little mix, poor BB she runs and howls, going to be a gradual thing I am afraid but I will get there. Beth excellent companion bless her {hug} I took Star Ped for a spa today, bum still hard, comb purply. I was shocked to find a big hole just on the side of her vent. Must have cut herself I think? Anyhow had a good wash and sprayed on gentian violet, couldn't beleive it , her comb was red by the time I took her back )t' Bum probably hard because of infection? anyhow back in her home she was running about and scoffing, so pleased will bath it every night until healed.4 eggs today but then the ladies are all walking around with their wings out

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Had to work yesterday so not much time with the girls, had 7 eggs so best so far for ages, would've been 8 but one softie.
Today started off brilliantly, thunder and lightning and torrential rain the run was so dark, couldn't open the house as the bolt wouldn't move, too much heat then the rain has warped it. Fifteen minutes in the soaking rain finally got it open! After feed and changing waters, still in the pouring rain went to the Peds(they are away again) got in their house with some difficulty and once in locked up from the inside. Of course then the bolt wouldn't move from the inside, not kidding at least 20 minutes hanging on the door to make it move down to open the bolt, at least I wasn't in the rain this time. Back to my girls to muck out the cottage where Blance=Beryl and Beth are sleeping and horrors tons of red mite. The girls have been frontlined but decided to dust them with DE immediately as I was now getting covered. Grabbed hold of BB and more horrors she had blood over her back yike* Couldn't be Beth surely, no plonker it was me I had cut my finger and was bleeding all over her! Wiped off the blood and dusted them both. I took out the egg BB had already laid and promptly dropped it! Have gutted cottage and deep cleaned naturally.
This morning was busy, as soon as the rain stopped took Star up for her spa
After shopping this morning mixed the girls….
Blanche and Beth headed to the zone they are not living in at the moment
Martha-Joans chased Blanche and Elsa chased and jumped on her but she shook both off and just ran and they left it

Olive is doing an Abbie, Abbie would follow Alice everywhere(this is back in 2008) whatever she was doing she had to muscle in, Olive has been doing a lot of this to Iris today. probably to reinforce her take over as Top Hen
Millie enjoyed a dustbath today
Silkiebabe, bless them they have few dry places in their run, the roof needs repairing daddy!
With the newly coffured Star
This is the annoying lock
Thank goodness the sun came out to fry things up a bit, Martha-Joans and Beth enjoy a spot of sunbathing

My gorgeous old girl Iris, she gave Blanche a peck on the head and then walked past her
Gwen, surprisingly ignored Blanche but did give Beth a bit of a hiding!
Blanche fancied sitting on the perch)always favoured by Iris,Abbie,Elsie and Betty in the old days but Iris was up there

Gwen is keeping her eye out on proceedings

Iris started doing a bit of head shaking, not surprised when I got a good look at her crop, gave her a good hard massage of the crop to loosen everything up and she was fine
Blanche had found a way upto the perch bless her, she did a lot of running today and a lot of wing flapping as if she was trying to make herself look bigger, but all was quite good, she has to fit in and has learnt to move quickly. Seperated her from the others just now as I don't want to leave her alone yet if I am not there. Bless little Beth she did protest about being moved again. Honestly of all hens were like Beth they would immediately be one big happy flock(if only)
ttp://s730.photobucket.com/user/sandyto ... 1.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Girls had lots of blackberries today, found the discarded strawberry plant growing again

Whats this? Bet Lancashire Lass will jnow

Onions?
Another discarded plant, toms this time

Will try and do a mix again tomorrow, probably evening as off to local Donkey open day tomorrow

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

To top that off picked Elsa up to put her to bed as I was opening cube bedroom door dhe pecked me in the eye then I put her in what I thought was an empty space but MJ was there so she got Elsa on her head. Mixing again Blanche keeping her distance oops Iris just shooed her away but no chase.Hmmm ehat is Gwen upto sneaking sbout then sitting down?