Re: Mrs B's Wild Chicks

Post by aishakali »

I really enjoyed watching that {rofwl}
LYN

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Oh Mrs B you do spin a great yarn i was picturing it all as i was reading. {rofwl} Love the pic on the wall you have trained your girls to pose beautifully :-DLindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Love the wall pic....is it in their garden or near to the road ?? Mine don't go near the wall if they 'escape', they just make a rush for the lawn }hairout{
And thought you said a grubby run ? Glad you can't see mine with this weather )gr:
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

s33xpt that bit is the only bit of wall they can stand on, the wall along the road is topped off with chicken wire so they can't throw themselves into the road.

I think the best way to describe those sections of the garden is interesting.

If the weather is dry they always line up on their wall for a preening session
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Mrs B i think you should do it on your own next time it will save faff and shoe leather give beerless the big purple broom and let him sweep it is a simple job and he should grasp it in no time )grin2( men and chicken jobs dont have a knack of going too well together i now only give golf husband the job of filling up the water canisters anything else is too complicated {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Mrs B I find if I catch the madams first they are not wise to what is coming, if I grab an easy to pick up they get wise and stay well clear. Good job well done by the sound of it wish you could have video'd it :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Wild chicks have had three nice long sessions in the garden. My uncle turned up during one of the sessions to do some work on his motor home which is stored on the bottom drive. The girls were not happy to see him and gave him a real telling off for disturbing their peace with his rackety engine.

Fatso the mahoosive squirrel came along to steal nuts from the bird feeder and the girls barely gave him a second glance yet when the other squirrels dare to cross the lawn the chicks charge at them, chickens are a funny bunch.

A very tame day in the chicken garden
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Goodness that is a chubbly wubbly squirrel are you fattening it up for a reason - tastes just like chicken so I have heard yike*
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Blimey that squirrel is a real chubster :-D I have loads in my garden and they are half the size of him, I love your description of defleaing the girls especially the sentence Easy Peasy chicken squeazy, it took me a while to clean the coffee off my keyboard :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Mrs B wrote:Morbidia my slabs are not the most even in the world as they were laid by Beerless but our soil is also clay even though the top 3 feet is good quality soil. Our garden is on a slope so Beerless had to dig down over 3 feet in places to give a reasonably level base for the slabs.

The one regret I have is not having some sort of drain fitted but that was beyond Beerless. I never have puddles in the run though just damp areas where the roof leaks.

I must stress that our run is under a big old yew tree so that tree probably help to soak up excess water. In a normal year (not the non stop rain of this year) the area around the tree stays dry enough for dust bathing so the tree really really soaks up the wet.

Do look at other members pics as there are quite a few of us with similar runs.

Anything else you want to know just shout up

Thanks for the info. I had a good look at my hen area today and I do need to level it but not too badly, I have a raised bed at the back against a wall and it more a case of flattening that so that the shed and run can go right up against the wall, I will be doing all the work my self as I don't have a partner to help. but I have already dug up most of the garden over the last 12 months in my attempts to relocate my girls to a suitable spot. I am going to start next week and take my time, they can stay in the old coop until I get it sorted so I figure I can just do a bit at a time, I can't afford the shed until next payday anyway so have a month the level the ground
The area where I am putting my girls is partially shaded by trees too so I am hoping this will help shelter them a bit. I am going to put a roof on the run as well to try to keep out as much rain as possible.I spent several hours looking through the photos of everyones set ups when I joined and it was looking through those photos that made me realise that I could probably do a better job of building a shed and run for my girls than whoever it was who thought my coop was up to the job, I am really excited about making a start now, if I get stuck I will be back to pick your brains )t'
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Good luck with your plans Morbidia, the best thing is to take your time and think through every little thing.

One thing that is handy is a door wide enough to get a wheelbarrow through for some people, no good for me as I have to get up stairs and over a wall to chicken run so my door is wide enough for a large muck bucket.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wonderful pictures and stories there MrsB :-D

I've not given our girls a flea treatment before - what do you use? I do give them the Diatom treatment and worming twice a year.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Fantasic pictures ..as already mentioned the wall one. )t' Your description of de - fleaing was better ,i could imagine it all )t' )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Timbo
Learner Laner

Post by Timbo »

Puddleduck gives me another run around bend and lunge and stretch and dive then she decides eating the jotter would be an excellent idea. Once she is done the rest are easily captured and treated.

I would have loved to have been there {rofwl} Laughed till i cried at just the mental picture. She was obviously trying to destroy evidence so the others would get treated again. I hope you enjoyed your glass of wine and Beerless his lager.