Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by aishakali »

Hi Sandy, thought you might like to know (or not). That Tatty Sal was pts today at 2pm. She lost her sight in one eye but managed brilliantly but 3 days ago she went completely blind and unable to stand or walk. I've been hand feeding and watering her but she had no quality of life. The vet thinks it was neurological which is what I thought too. 3 years out of the cages isn't bad but I'm gonna miss her so much. The bookends wouldn't go in the garden unless she was there to watch over them. My last ex batt, end of an era. Hope you and yours are fighting fit xxx
LYN

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Lyn, I'm so sorry to hear about Tatty Sal {hug} she will leave a huge hole I'm sure and I hope your teenies can help make it feel not quite so large. 3 years is a fantastic time, more years out than in, and all thanks to you and the wonderful care you gave her.
{hug} to you, I know you'll miss her like crazy
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Lyn of course I wanted to know, Tatty Sal was part of my virtual flock bless her. How strange, I was going to pm you tonight, I do worry when you have not been on for awhile. Sal had a wonderful life with you, you know that without me telling you. PLease put her photo in the Rainbow Log, a place she thoroughly deserves to be honoured in. Take care Lyn {hug&kiss}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Gwen has finished her meds and now Beth is joining her with the doldrums! Took these photos last night, of I can get more than 5 on a perch I shall be saving a fortune in bedding!
Iris and Blanche join my Three Little Maids in outdoor camping!
Maureen,Iris,Blanche,Megan and Violet
Beth went to join Blanche but found she had the cottage to herself
Gwen and Olive look lost in the cube
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Been very lax with the diary recently
March 7th Blanche decided to sleep with the maids on the outside perch, after locking up the Peds she had abandoned her glamping and was back in the cottage with Beth {hug}
March 8th
Beth and Gwen are still far too quiet for my liking. Megan was doing the neck swing, instead of spending hours trying to catch her I went onto the office where they all follow me but Iris and Megan always jump on the table aha caught her and gave her one hell of a massage
March 9th
Gwen bad today, booked vets for tomorrow under Beth's name
March 10th
Vet surprised when two hens came out of cat basket! She was not happy with Gwen's comb, while she was checking out Beth Gwen explored all over her computer! Said Beth may have a problem to comb with eggs maybe, put them both on tylan. From 5.30 they are now seperated in the cube area
March 11th
Gwen spent most of the day in bed! Megan needed another good massage
March 12th
Gwen spent another day in bed, poor Beth looking longingly at the others through the fence
March 13th
let the girls mix while Gwen stayed abed AGAIN.Beth went to cottage to bed so had to move her to the cube for seperation

March 14th Gwen,Beth and Olive had a good combing on their frilly knickers area. Candi Ped doing the egg problem stance, she was still up late so popped her in bed quietly fingers crossed.
March 15th
Hooray Candi had layed a huge soft egg and was fine. Gwen and Beth were swapping going to bed am had to leave them as had already booked a short holiday……

March 18th Beth was in bed Gwen up quite active(neighbour had texted while I was away they were both chirpy, probably so as not to worry me) got Beth out to check her and let girls mix. Megan was after Beth, very nasty to her so put Megan on her own while Beth slowly moved around but she wouldn't touch mealworms! Vets booked for tomorrow morning. Gave Beth a spa which she seemed to enjoy.
March 19th
Vet gave Beth baytril, I asked if her time had come but she said not egg problems! By the afternoon Beth not eating anything, syringed some tom juice and egg yolk into her and out her to bed wish I had let her go this morning! Seperated her on her own in the cube
March 20th
Beth so bad this morning, took her to vets at 8.00 am she didn;t even need a carrier on the journey . Asked them to put my vivacious baby out of her misery {cry} Had to go to work after, so sad coming home to lock up. Iris is now permantely on outside perch with Violet,Megan and Maureen. Olive,Blanche and Gwen in cube. Maybe Blanche dosent like the cottage anymore since Beth has not been in their with her.
March 21st
Gwen and Olive still got yucky bums, gave them a brush,comb and a trim. cleaned out both houses, poor Beth must have had intestine problems found bits an pieces in her bed under the straw.
March 22nd Blanche doing the egg problem stance, still at it when I got home and not interested in any treats! Blanche doing the stand in bed so out she came for an examination , hmm feels okay
March 23rd
Blanche still not well, why oh why do I never get a chance to grieve! Seperated her am, opened doors when I got home and Olive and Gwen who had been abed in the cottage snuck out and climbed in the cube with Blanche! Heavens another vet appointment , touching £110.00 so far this year! Gwennie been free for two years today, and she is so so much better, but no birthday cake!
March 24th
Thankyou hengod! Blanche fine today, Gwen running about too!

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

sad , but good looking forward ... Vet bill sounds cheap . Sometimes it is good to be occupied so as not dwell on things. happy memories at least .
Wish you and chocks well.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Everyone happy this morning, and The Ped Girls )like( They are all on acv for a week, Naomi Num-Num has been sneezing again and Iris started a bit today. I used to keep a tally of eggs but that went by the wayside awhile ago, so to start again today there were 3 form 7! Gwen makes me laugh she had her breakfast and went to bed in the cube while Maureen was in mid lay. Gwen get out now, and yes she did. The maids seem to be changing positions every night, funny they climbed up the pole to the perch until Iris joined them and now they copy her and just make the big leap onto the perch. Time to order wormy pellets girls due to be rewormed April 2nd so best get and order them

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Don't think I offered condolences for Beth. Such a pity she couldn't stay longer but we must remember the battering these special ones have taken before they reach us, and treat each day with them as a special gift. Gwen of Hens is shaping up to be a real ex batt matriarch!

Hope Blanche continues to be well. You could do without worry for a while

We even got a rare, proper sized egg from Casper while we were away!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well done Casper )t' or should I say Bookworm Casper? Blanche seems to be back to her usual self, it took a few days I was hoping Amber's Lily would be the same but bless she seems to be suffering.
Iris arrived four years ago today from acres of grassland along with Betty and Elsie to join the mourning Abbie. She went to the vets last year with mycoplasma, she was breathing awlful but it never stopped her doing anything different. She has had lots of moults that dont deter her in anyway , she has pink legs that never change colour what ever I put on them and she has one pupil bigger than the other since an accident while I was away. She had cream for a week and let me administer it with no fuss. She always crouches when I go to pick her up and goes so stiff it is like picking up a frozen oven ready chicken. She also walks backwards A LOT and walks like John Cleese if she isn't running about. She never shuts up and seems to be holding her own with Psycho Olive. She became a bit of a star when a new eye clinic opened they asked me to take her up to show what repair the vet had done to her sight. After nearly 4years of sleeping indoors she has begun to sleep on the outside perch with the 3 youngsters. The last to bed these last couple of months she was up late tonight hoping there maybe even more treats! So glad to say everyone well, three eggs again today.
I think I know why Gwen is going to bed early…tonight I threw down some mealworms and Gwen totally ignored them, I threw some further away where it was much lighter and she was off scoffing them. I reckon she is having trouble seeing in the shade, shall have to keep my eye on that.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Is olive still top hen then or has Iris bra ed her power back? Or have they entered into coalition?

Interesting about Gwen of Hens. Can you see how her pupils are responding?
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well Gwen's eyes look okay >coc< Iris just moves away from Olive so I guess she is still Top Hen but I am afraid not after tomorrow {cry} For the past few days I have been jotting down all okay 3 eggs, yesterday all okay 4 eggs with one huge double yolker! Today I opened up the garden area for them as it was wet and windy and noticed Olive wasnt the first one in. Oh no she is breathing notably, a feel of her undercarriage it is rock har just the same as Beryl so will book her in tomorrow before she even starts to suffer. Violet had a heavy crop too so had to corner her for a darn good massage. Good news it seems Amber's Lily is well )t'
Will sign off now before I get emotional

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh Sandy, it never rains but it pours lately eh? I really hope Olive is just feeling bruised after laying a whopper. Or that the vet can prescribe something to head off any possible infection >fi<

Good luck tomorrow, i really hope things don't turn out the way you think they may
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I hope all goes well at the vets today with Olive. I will be thinking of you.
Let us know how you get on.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Firstly what good news about Lily, I hope she will soon return to full recovery {hug}
The sad news is Olive had fluid which Chris drained off, he said I always got my girls early to the vets so their ailments could be treated. She had eyp but could have metacam and could live for a little while until the fluid did build up again, Her heavy breathing was becuase the fluid had pushed everything towards her lungs putting pressure on them, You may remember Lucy Ped had this ailment and did survive for about a month (I think) until it got really bad.I asked if the metacam was a cure or of the damage was done and couldn;t be repaired. The answer of course was there was no cure just a stay and apart from the pressure on her lungs she was eating and drinking and okay. Chris was surprised when I said better to let Olive go now rather than spend month(s) with meds and redraining, I could see it in his face. Well I got in the car , sat for a few minutes and decided I would try the meds and see how long she would enjoy life until the inevitable. I went back in to be told Olive had been put down already. Of course I felt dreadful , I think it was the surprise of my decision that made me rethink. Since I have been down with the remaining girls , lets be fair would Olive had wanted to get as bad as Lucy did or my poor Bethy who I lost just 10 days ago? Gosh this is getting so hard now, I have threatened the others to not get ill until I can properly mourn Olive and Beth who were the last two who would peck at my jeans all the time while the others all treat me with disdain!

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

It's awful lot to bear. It would have been bad anyway, without the vet's reaction causing you to question yourself like that - of course I do understand that this was not deliberately unkind of the vet, and not meant as a criticism of you, but just that he had probably anticipated your reaction and it didn't turn out to be what he had expected.

I expect they see an awful lot of people holding on to their pets until long past the time when it is kind for the animal, either because they don't realise this until too late or because can't bear the pain of parting with a pet they love.

Remembering Amber and how awful it was for her in the last few days, I wish I had had the knowledge to see it was EYP, and the courage it would have taken to say goodbye before she suffered.

Huge hugs for you, Sandy. Any girls who end up with you are so very lucky. {hug} {hug}