Benny-Bev's chooky adventures!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Benny-Bev's chooky adventures!

Post by Benny&Co »

Haven't updated my Chooky diary for a few weeks, for one reason or another.

Had a very sad start to February, having lost our lovely little Hilda >ch< {cry}

Felt absolutely truly awful about it all, like the worst ever chicken keeper.

They don't half wrap their feathers and wings around your heart don't they hey.

RIP little Hilda

Our other two, Nita and Betty are doing fine it seems and they are kindly giving us two eggs a day, which is lovely )eat(

I changed their bedding over to Hemcore, instead of straw which I like much better - even than Aubiose I think.

Though I have got a bale of Aubiose which I'll use up next.

I wrote on another thread about Naughty-Nita, who has this habit of pecking at Betty's feathers. She hasn't drawn blood or anything like that, but she's a one.

They're right little characters and golly-gee Nita is a noisy one! She's so very loud - I hope the neighbours don't mind!

Betty is still the sweetest, gentlest little chooky {hug}

I thoroughly enjoy watching them and all their antics. It's great when I can see them, but they can't see me watching them - as if they see me, they usually stop and start pacing up and doing doing the 'make human feel guilty and give us treats' dance!

They have a tyre which is a dust bath and they bury themselves right deep down in there, it's ever so funny!

Planning on getting some more friends for Nita and Betty at some point, once we're all over the bouts of illness we've had.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Sounds like your girls are enjoying themselves Bev :-D Whats Hemcore like? I use Bliss which is fine but always open to better suggestions. Are you going to get x working girls next time? Iv'e been getting 2-4 eggs a day all through the bad weather which I think is brill from little ex's.
Glad your girls are making you smile again :-D
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Lyn, yes they're such little characters aren't they :-D {hug}

I like the smell of the Hemcore, it has citronella in it as well, to keeps any nasty niffs at bay, here's some information for you:

http://www.hemptechnology.co.uk/hemcore.php

What is Bliss? I've not heard of that before. Glad things are going well with your ladies {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Don't know how to share a link Bev, but Bliss is dust extracted finely chopped rape straw. You can get it with impregnated with Citronella or Eucalyptus and it's treated with Trus-steed which kills 99.9% of bacteria. That's what it says anyway lol!
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad Betty and Nita have on another after the sad loss of little Hilda. It is a pain when one girl pecks the others, it seems to be just a habit for some of them. I have not heared of hemcore or bliss.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh Hemcore is lovely Sandy, I'm very impressed with it )t'

I got a little bit concerned about straw and them eating it you see.

What do you use on your run floor?
Bev x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Run floor is earth, usually muddy earth when floods come up. Houses hemp and eco cardboard in cube and straw in cottage, put hemp in as AJ and Elsie eat it but newbies Olive and Beryl kicked it out and were prepared to sit on wooden floor so have straw in for them as that is what they are used to. Elsie has started laying in their house now }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I do love watching my little ladies, I can see them, but they can't see me from the back of our home.

Just caught them as I look out of the kitchen window - both Nita and Betty are perched on the side of their dust bath (an old tyre) preening, love it! :-D {hug}

Will attempt to get some pictures, thing is, the second the clap eyes on the human, they move! >dum<
Bev x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

It certainly is annoying isnt it! They are posing, preening, kicking about and as soon as you get near them with a camera they stop as they think the sole purpose of your visit is to feed them. I try and sit in with them for hours and they start doing their own thing but soooo cold at the moment

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes me too Sandy, but like you waiting till it warms a bit! >fi<
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We've had some sunshine this afternoon, so spent a lovely time in the garden with Benny and the girls, tidying up and sorting their run/eglooop out.

I thought I'd leave their run door open, if they fancied a play in the garden but they didn't seem to fancy that idea.
Bev x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You are lucky Bev we have just got the sun when it will be dark within the hour

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

It's nice again here today, hope you've got some nice weather too Sandy :-D

I managed to get some pictures this morning :-D

Nita in the tyre, Betty at the side

Got a bit closer....

Managed to open the run door whilst she's still in there :-D

Betty's turn now and Benny's ears bottom centre :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I think tomorrow may just be the day we get two new additions to the Benny-Bev family :-D

Have thought of one name already )t' :-D
Bev x

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Happy hen there Bev, I love it when they are dustbathing and then stop adn just seem to drop off to sleep becaue they are so relaxed.
Missed the bit about getting two more if it was on another thread, are you getting ex batts this time or a couple of hybrid/pure bred ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful