chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Post by HenPen »

Ooh blimey Lisa, I didn't see all about your many injuries >dowhat< - carry on like this and you will be able to celebrate Hallowe'en as The Mummy!

Hope your bruises are healing - and do take it easy so you will be fit and well to welcome your new additions.

Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Great Diary look forward to seeing the New additions :-D
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

haha HenPen im oohing and ahhhhing still after a few days !

Drummy neither can I ! Mine are from Happy Chicks too so I know ill be getting happy healthy girls.. but I am now thinking I should add some ex bats as my conscience is killing me

Nothing really to report except my 15 year old Daughter Molly phoned me while I was shopping yesterday hysterical shouting HELP ME! the conversation is as follows:

Molly: MUM ! HELP ME!!
Me: Molly why whats wrong love (slightly panicked)

the phone crackles and I hear ...*white chicken and Hyacinth *..CRACKLE *Fight * So I turned my phone off and on again (yes the old trick but it worked! ) and was mentally seeing a picture of my chooks killing each other .... yike* ... I phone Molly back

Me: MOLLY ! Whats wrong are you ok? Are the chooks ok?
Molly: MUM HELP ME (By this time she was freaking out)
Me: MOLLY (shouting in the ADSA shop) tell me calmly whats wrong
Molly : THe chickens have caught a mouse and are fighting over it!!!!

{mr.angry}

I could have strung her up! I very nearly ditched my shopping and taxied home thinking my chooks were fighting or something had got to them but ney it was a little mouse, strolled across the garden and Vi got hold of it.. when Hyacinth saw it she grabbed it and presto! The mouse turned into some sort of macabre Christmas cracker and burst all over the garden and the chooks had a party sile}

Mr Chookaholic finds it hysterical that I was about to drop everything and run home but theyre my lil ladies (and Molly is a drama queen!)

Apart from that everything is just dandy . Vi is feathering and has a stumpy tail but still is a moody so and so .. the weather is atrocious so they spend a lot of time in the wet dog room (wash house) which was getting covered in poop so i put down a layer of wood shavings. WORST idea ever as my house was like a stable. Thats now been swept up and Ill put down some newspaper

but all is god at the Chookaholic resdidence )w(
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

:-D
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They are such delicate refined ladies when dining aren't they {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Well I can see where the "Raptor" comes in ! I looked for bits of mouse when I got home and never found any theyd eaten the lot sile} The cats apparently just sat on the coops and watched they wouldnt even try to go near them as they went into "mouse mode " .

RIP Mickey
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

{rofwl}
Life's too short to quarrel
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I can just imagine your girls giving the cats the look the says "thats the way to do it" and stalking off looking for another unlucky rodent {rofwl} Lindaxx
Last edited by Linda S on 25 Oct 2013, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Chookaholic wrote:
RIP Mickey

{rofwl} {rofwl} {cry}
LYN
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

nothing much to put today. After the recent rain my garden is a marshland . The little booted bantams (Mr and Mrs Pepperpot and Gertie) really do not like the rain and steer well clear of mud : unless the mealworms come out

i havent been able to do a thing with the run as the rain will stop the concrete from setting and im now kicking myself for taking a couple of days of when i was injuring myself }hairout{ . Mr Chookholic is off work next week so rain or shine something is getting done

I went out to my let my girls out this morning and have to say they all look so healthy . I looked at pics of when i first got them . I thought then they were in great nick but they werent really...they looked tatty and werent very healthy. Now they all look great . Vi is growing her tail at warp speed but her neck feathers seem to be taking longer. I will post pics when she is fully feathered . she also isnt as grumpy and flighty as she was which is a blessing.

Mr Pepperpot is still trying to woo Mrs Pepperpot who still is ignoring his advances: quite funny as she fights with him then he goes off and sits on his own in a sulk :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Mrs Pepperpot is probably reading some Jane Austen novel on the sly {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

well, this is going to be a crazy week. due to lack of funds and the weather combined i have done nothing in the garden. This week it is all getting done , and judging by past experience il need a hard hat, gloves, shin pads you name it >dum<

Vi is looking rather lovely , her new feathers are almost complete now and her tail is back in its full glory.........

she has a wonderful hair do ..........

and she doesnt mind company so much now either,

going through some leaves with Hyacinth and Gertie and she came up to me within 2 foot which is a first. She is super chatty too though it is more of a squeak

Mr Pepperpot has the most wonderful tail coming along himself....

All in all I have 9 very happy healthy chooks and were all just poodling along nicely. Im looking forward to this week as the run will give me a peace of mind over winter.

With my 4 new chooks due in 4 weeks i really need to get organised.... so tomorrow is the beginning of the run....wish me luck !
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

All looking great. Vi has feathered up beautifully (Miranda did a mini moult a little while ago so she is now oddly mottled, as the new feathers are much darker).

That Mr Pepperpot, ooooh he's a looker <3 (that's a heart. Wot no heart smilies?)

Don't think you need good luck getting ready, you are a one-woman dynamo!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Vi is an absolute darling )t' Why on earth does Mrs Pepperpot shy away from such a handsome hunk

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

been working hard all day building the run with my 18 year old Daughter Katie... Made a trip to bNq this morning and got the bits we needed and cracked on ..... now covered in bruises , cuts from the chicken wire but very very satisfied with myself....still lots to do but we have made a big dent in it and it is going to be rather large !

Rolls of chicken wire are the mesh of the devil and I cursed at it more than I would like to admit to :oops:

So we started by gathering all the twigs and bits of tree etc and clearing the area.....

We dug the holes and positioned the posts then concreted them in ......

Then we attached the chicken wire and swore grumbled and shouted a LOT...... I left a large space for a wide doorway so i can get the wheelbarrow etc through if needed ......

Then we sat for a cup of tea and a biscuit and i had the feeling i was being watched..............

I had to show them my hands to prove i had eaten my jammy dodger {rofwl} they were not moving until they new it was completely gone. ....

We still have the roof to do and the door. I also have tons of old house bricks and plan to use them decoratively cemented around the outside of the chicken wire instead of flags to stop foxes digging under. Still lots to do but feeling content that we made a big dent in it .

Now for a hot bubbly bath and a take away ! .........