chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Re: chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Post by Chookaholic »

what a palaver!

So, yesterday Im in the kitchen washing dishes and i notice Miranda Crumpet running up and down along the fence (like they do when i sprinkle treats and theyre on the wrong side of the run). So, curious as to whats bugging her i go outside and my naughty Leghorns Silver and Casper are in next doors garden!

I started giggling as it was as though Miranda Crumpet had snitched on them like "Muuuum ! Silver and Casper are being naughty again !!" . They looked panic stricken trying to get back in and when we got hold of them (what a laugh that was and thankfully next door has a small garden *phew*) I clipped their wings much to their annoyance and boy they can shriek! So much so all my other chooks except Miranda Crumpet ran and hid under the conifer !! Miranda Crumpet stood next to them swinging on a run door (no im not joking) while they had their wings trimmed as if to say "ner ner"

Im very lucky in that I have good neighbours )t' I had to clip their wings though as although next door (on the other side) has chooks and ducks she has 7 dogs loose and I know theyll come to harm if they go over to the dark side ......

Lets see what today brings ! :-D never a dull moment in the Forrester Feathered Farm!

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Spent hours outside with the chooks today in the sunshine:

Casper:

All enjoying baby spinach leaves:

Hyacinth in the sunshine:

looks like Tikka is having a mini moult:

realised i had a chicken missing and go into the house..............

put a ton of DE down under the conifer .....

and they all had a dust off and then a good preen...........

Gertie:

Vi:

Puddin:

and relax in the sun )t'

then a magpie sounds an alert !!!!

tikka:

all having fun in the compost corner end of the garden

Mrs Pepperpot:

Mr Pepperpot:

Big fluffy bum !!

A good day in the garden in the sunshine . I got jobs done and had a tidy...... the girls and boy thoroughly enjoyed the sunshine and the company : cant wait for summer! The garden is drying out a lot now and shoots are coming up so everybody is happy )t'
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Miranda Crumpet stood next to them swinging on a run door (no im not joking) while they had their wings trimmed as if to say "ner ner"

{rofwl}
Thank goodness you have a watchchook in Miranda Crumpet who obviously has her flock's best interests at heart.

You've had sun? We've had rain most of the day - if not week - and now I'm jealous. My girls would love a bit of sun to warm up in, especially my new barely feathered girl Ronnie who really needs a bit of vitamin D and some sunshine on her back. The paper said we are in for a spring heatwave but I don't know whether to believe the weather people or not...

I just love your Pepperpots by the way
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Chicken drumstick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken drumstick »

Awesome !

Nice large Garden )t'

Chickens are so addictive or what !

My Garden has been manicured for many year , it should be i'm a landscape Gardener and i love a nice Garden .

I am now thinking ....sod it , get the slate bed ripped up and get some grass in there for them to free range and .......DESTROY !!
Hens are more important than a nice garden , its nature >ch< >ch< >ch< >ch<
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

haha Drummy! I asked Mr Chookaholic to mow the lawn today he said "what lawn?! We have 3 tufts in the corner!" {rofwl}

We are going to pave some of the garden but a majority of it will still be grass . I did have plans to really get stuck into the garden and do it as id always wanted now my kids are grown but got chooks and the rest is history ... we will be lucky if we get a pooless table and chairs ! I have been keeping mealworm tubs and im going to plant a ton of cress and herbs for them to munch at will

Karen it has been lovely here for the past couple of days though the breeze is very fresh . They have dust bathed and sunbathed constantly plus it means i can sit outside longer with them which i think does me more good than it does them >ch< +f+

and Miranda Crumpet .... hmmm yes she is a one i can tell you . Always trying to peck my toes if i wear flip flops, jumps all over me when i sit down : tries to pick of freckles on my arms...and she hurts! Little monster, but she makes me laugh . Speckledies have such a beautiful sheen on their feathers when the sun hits them : like a magpie , blue and green hues .

Casper and Silver are still refusing to speak to me since the wing clipping . I have noticed in the morning when i let them all out into the garden the Leghorns run round like lunatics for about 15 minutes. They fluff their feathers and race around all spiky like weeeeee were out! Im going to build a frame for them so they can have a climb as they do like to scramble around.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I enjoyed your photographs :-D
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am envious of your garden envy}} what lovely photos of such beautiful girls, and what lovely clean botties
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Im very good at camera angles Sandy :-D some of the garden looks like a bomb has hit it >dum<

We are lucky in that we do have a very large garden and i never got round to making beautiful flower beds which im happy about now! :D im now steering away from the flowers/ annuals and more towards shrubs and definitely veg and fruit.... most will be in hanging baskets ie: cherry tomatoes, strawbs, peas etc.... or there will nothing left though i am going to scatter a few seeds here n there and see if they come up ...a little treat for them

One perk is we havent had to mow the lawn yet! theyve kept it nice and short )t'
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Short n sweet

I still had my doorless shedo (plastic shed to put feed bins etc in). Doorless because the hurricanes we recently had very kindly ripped them off . Although it was doorless it is still solid and i was reluctant to throw it away ,, then i had a brain wave

I went to town and bought a load of play sand: came home, put the shedo in a new place in the garden where it is sheltered and will stay dry, tipped bags of sand in....added a soup son of DE , put a door back on sideways so the sunshine could get in but the sand couldnt be flicked everywhere and VOILa!

My girls now have a huge sandpit / dustbath! immediately investigated by Merryweather then hyacinth who loved it ... i also noticed a huge pile of wood chips on my way home ..... hmmmmmmmm :D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I want to see a picture of the giant dustbath please, now really envy}} Mine needs filling up again
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yeah, we want pix, we want pix,
When do we want them? Now!
)piicy(
No pressure!! {rofwl}
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

its not buckingham palace or anything .... :oops: :oops: but im happy as the chooks are happy

Halfway done... the bale of wood shavings is a giant (about 3 foot high) the sand is now around 5 inches deep

this was before the door was attached sideways ... ill have to take pics tomorrow of the girls in there : the problem is I go out and they run to me :?

he he you can see the chicken footprints at the back

my logs to build a frame for them

Ill try and get pics of them in there tomorrow and with the door on ..... it does have a flap down lid too so it locks up as next doors cats will be using it otherwise {warn} {warn}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a brilliant invention, I WANT ONE

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

my new ex batt girls are here...

Rusty: is a deep red ,has a nice big comb , huge feet and is a lot calmer

and Nibbles: so called because she pecked the death out of my hand when i was giving her the once over :oops:

They both arrived with an egg which i thought was very good of them ... would have prefered wine but beggars cant be choosers :-D I put them straight into their coop and they promptly flung wood shavings everywhere and it sounded like they was trying to break out !

Rusty is desperate to get out of the run , they have been wormed and powdered but ill have to give them a week and let them get used to the surroundings. My other girls and boy arent interested at all though im sure that will change when theyre out and about and the pecking order is re evaluated.

All in all ... theyre lovely if a little pale and their feathers are a bit rough and ready but im sure theyll blossom with some tlc.... I DO have to say though ....they STINK! PHEWEEEE.... im guessing thats the conditions theyre kept in as they were a bit damp and mucky underneath. Wont miss or forget that whiff in a hurry
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They look lovely, do they know how lucky they are? Thats the cleanest snuggest looking bed I have seen, well for now anyway {rofwl} You know I had forgotten the smell of rescue girls but as you know it will soon disappear. Bet you are looking forward to that interesting game of intregation +f+