Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by HenPen »

Sorry Sandy! I haven't taken my phone out there for a while. No pockets - now the weather is cooling down I expect I will have a jacket on so I will slip my phone in my pocket.

I missed a classic shot the other day. I swear Wiggy's comb is getting in her way more and more and she sees the world mostly out of one eye. She was dustbathing last week and I called Miranda, Wiggy looked up in that slightly stunned way they always have after a good long dustbathe, and all I could see over the edge of the raised bed (have given up on putting veg in it, as the girls love it so much - particularly Wigs) was her head with the comb covering her whole face except her beak, looking around in a bewildered way but totally unable to see anything.

Fox poo still everywhere. Having to keep our eyes peeled to prevent ourselves treading in it.

Miranda had to have a bath the other day as her bot was in a right state. It was a lovely warm autumn day, perfect for an outdoors wash and drying the sun. My daughter helped and afterwards Miranda surprised us by leaning against her leg for nearly ten minutes while my daughter knelt on the grass and gently stroked her back feathers.

Poor Mirry - her comb had gone all sad and she hasn't laid for ages. Wiggy has stopped now too. It has been a very productive summer for the two of them, and they deserve a break. Miranda's comb regained a little of its oomph after a tin of sardines the other day but I think they are both dropping feathers (I know some are definitely Wiggy's but there was a greyish tail feather which could be either of theirs). Moulting just as the weather turns, as per. Wiggy is prone to totally disrobing, it's all a bit burlesque! But Miranda likes to string it out, losing feathers for months but never actually looking particularly scruffy. But then she does have decorum - not one of Wiggy's virtues! {rofwl}

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

HP you are one to talk about Karen {warn}
You need a very thin jacket in the summer to carry a phone in, if it is as cold there as it is here at the moment you will have no excuse not to take photos of my god hen and Miranda
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

It's a fair cop )c(
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hellooo? Is there anybody there?

Synchronised eating

Aaaannnnddddd you put your right leg in, your right leg out...

Just had about half an hour of fun and games with photo bucket. Reminded me why I don't often post pictures! Phew }hairout{
Karen's turn! +f+
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, how does she see through that . Must be dangerous in the wild as would never see a predator coming.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

At least she can see her food - the most important thing!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Henny is is a must we will have our next get together at your place! I absolutely have to meet Wiggy Woosworth in person, WHAT a character )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Karen's turn! +f+

Challenge.....
Accepted!

Lovely photos of the Woo, of course. At least she has a tail.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , is North ampton Scotland , Do I need to make special travel arrangements...
Love to go there ,
Bob
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Nah - That's Karen, Bob! I'm in the south east.

Wiggy, I'm afraid, is a bit bashful and not up to visitors just now - as she is getting stuck into her annual impression of a bedraggled elderly feather duster. Miranda is doing her best to keep up, so the coop and run are both covered in a rather fancy multi-coloured carpet of feathers.

Does anyone else spend their time whilst poo-picking thinking to themselves, "ooh, brilliant, those poops are looking absolutely perfect today?" Or is it just me? I was just thinking today that it was one of the more unexpected aspects of chicken keeping - worrying about their deposits. {rofwl} I am always so relieved to see a textbook healthy ... Um ....hang on... This is all going downhill rapidly, isn't it? Think I'll leave it there. :oops:
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , South East , My neck of the woods . How far south and east South end or higher .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I don't know what you mean HP, I in no way take an unhealthy interest in my girls deposits +pinn+

And I definitely don't keep a bucket specially for the collection of said unhealthy interest....
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I did at one time used to count how many poos I picked up :oops:

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Henpen where are you?

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hiya!
Sorry to have abandoned diary duties recently - things have been a bit rushed with hubby having an op and things a bit mad at work.
The girls are still chooking happily - they are a happy pair. I think, overall, Wiggy is leader of the gang, if only because her natural curiosity and greed make her the first to leap into any new situation. And Miranda is scared of Wiggy's floppy comb, of course, and shouts and runs if accidentally touched by it. I notice the Wigster isn't adverse to pressing her advantage and occasionally following up with a bit of light pecking, if food is at stake. She's a bit of a naughty girl at times, you know.