Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by KarenE »

I'm pleased you took her to the vets Amber, at least you know she's had a proper look over. I think half the time the worst thing about having a sick chicken is the not knowing what's really going on.

Here's hoping it's a low level infection and the tylan can knock it on the head >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

>fi< Hoping for the best >fi<
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber have just caught up on here. Of course a big >fi< for the lovely Lily. Her symptoms sound the same as my Eva, Andrea couldn't find anything specific either except for a bit of tenderness. She gave me metacam for her, honestly I was all for taking her back tuesday morning to have her put out of her misery, she wouldn't eat much and I was syringing food into her. Yesterday was the first time she was back to bossing the others over food, she still cannot jump onto the bench but apart from that she is so much better and seems to be enjoying life again. If the tylan dosent work(thought that was for respitory problems?) ask for the marvellous metacam, could be an infection.
And of course lots of {hug} to you as I know exactly how you will be feeling
Sandy xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
Lily still very unwell. I took her back to the vets yesterday and she had some x rays and an internal examination. Gail said she is still tender inside but the x rays were clear.
She has no idea what is wrong with her.
I have been given Baytril and Emeprid to be given twice a day, but she won't eat or drink and just stands still nodding. I will try syringing some egg into her later today.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Lily is still very unwell and i am now stuck for ideas on what i can do for her.
She won't eat and i don't think she is drinking. I have syringed egg into her for the last 2 days and offered her: sweetcorn, peas, grapes ( which i know she loves ) fishy cat food, mealworms, corn, museli, and sunflower seeds, but she will not touch any of them.

She seems to have the same symptoms as Sophie had before she had to be PTS, but that was a good few weeks ago. The other 2 seem fine at the moment.
I am worried it is something i am/ am not doing that is making them ill. Could it be the rats? i haven't seen any for a while but have a bait box outside of the run just incase.
It has got to the point i think for the sake of the other 2 that it would be in their best interest that i rehome them and stop keeping hens. This will break my heart as i love them to bits. Feeling pretty sh*t tonight.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Amber, stop that right now. There's nothing wrong with the way you keep or care for your girls. Nothing at all. Sophie got sick, Lily got sick and that's what hens do. It is common, as we all sadly know, and sometimes they just don't respond to treatment or care. You've had Lily to the vets which is the right thing to do. You can't tell whether a Lily and Sophie even have the same illness, as hens pretty much show the same symptoms no matter the illness. Hens just don't have robust systems. And actually, Lily is a decent age for a hen {hug}

I doubt it's anything to do with the rats, esp if the bait is out of reach.

It's very upsetting when one of our girls is sick, especially when you don't know what to do. It may be you have to make a choice about continuing to hand feed and treat Lily, to see if she rallies, or to stop treatment and let her go. It's a decision we all have to make at some stage. Don't make any decisions about your other girls in the heat of the moment, I think you will regret it if you do. Unfortunately the bad times are inevitable BUT there are good times ahead too.

Take a deep breath. Then take another. Take your time.

And as ever, you know where we are if you need us {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi my heart goes out to you . How many times I have been in the same position .
Terrible being helpless . I have said before that it is hard to decide the best actions as some girls can survive illness and go on for ages others have to cross the bridge . I would say very rarely illness is the cause of owners . We learn from them . Fox attacks are worst as guilt is always there even when not at fault.
Weigh the girl . If heavy breed 1.2 kilos and I would say big trouble .Lighter breeds Hybrids 1kilo . Their body systems just cannot recover from them . Not make a call as every girl/boy has its own system .
But the main thing is it is not your faulf and you have done your best and will carry on doing the best .
The good thing about rescue girls is that if we did not take them in then they would be dead anyway and the life be it long or short they have is like a chicken heaven and they would not swap it for sure.
Best of outcomes for you . Be upset , haved a good cry , remember the fun and carry on . treasure the time you had and have -Rescue some more girls at the right time as they will repay you in eggs and love and attention which we all need and can easily obtain from a chicken on your lap .

Bob
(Hope it helps probably not but if I believe what I have written then next time it happens to me ,which it will I can read and say take my own advise .....)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

unfortunately the hybrid hens we love were designed to lay lots & often dont have long lives. So many things can go wrong inside them when they start to reach their "expiry" date, all invisible to us, and often all your kindness can do is delay the inevitable. I think we all agree here that it's about the quality not the length of life they have, and that's what you've given them. I'm sure if Lilly got ill because of something particular they would all be ill at the same time. As Karen says they tend to show the same symptoms when they feel ill, could be an infection,tumour, something inside failing her, - or she might suddenly perk up & you'll never know what it was!
It's horrid when you have a run of illness with them, you do start to doubt yourself, we've all been there. It's not your fault Amber, it just happens sometimes. {hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Amber I want to give you a big hug but I will have to settle for this one {hug} .
I have lost 3 girls within a month, back in 2014 I lost three girls within 10 days.
I am in complete harmony with what Karen and Kitty have said, if you ever need to talk pm your telephone number, trust me this helped a few years ago with Skesis.
Poppy and Marigold have lost Sophie, if they lose Lily theymost certainly wont want to be living somewhere without your special love for them.
You have done absolutely nothing wrong Amber that is the henpals mummies and daddies unnamimous decision.
{hug&kiss} Sandy xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you all for your kind words. I was having a bad wobble.
Lily is still more or less the same, she is standing in the sun at the moment sleeping. I did not syringe egg down her this morning just her meds. I don't want to prolong her life if she is not going to get better. I have decided to make her as comfortable as possible for the next couple of days and see how she does and then make a decision as to where we go from here.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We all have wobbles like that. I felt the same when I lost Remie {hug} It's worse when you lose a few girls in quick succession, it really does make you question yourself (it did me anyway). Sometimes we just have the heart knocked out of us, but it's only for a while. I wouldn't be without my daft Dory Grey and Tiddly Widdly now, and even Chestnut is a bit of a sweetie (unless food is concerned, then she's a raptor).

{hug} for you & Lily. You've done all you can, now Lily will make her own decision.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber I am so sorry to hear about little Lily, you did you absolute best for her, she mustve been so proud to have such a loving henny mum.
Dont forget if you ever need a chat feel free anytime
Sandy
xxxxx

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber, I am so very sorry to hear that you lost your little Lily. Heartbreaking, I know. I am in pretty much the same situation at the moment. Mary not well, she is not improving and so it's a visit to the vets for us tomorrow. Hope you're OK.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

So sorry to read this Amber - it really is heartbreaking {hug}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you all for your kind words.
How is Mary Cheshire chick? good luck at the vets.
>fi< Amber.