My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all flock good , boys and the girls .
Mrs Woo has another appointment with vets booked for Friday PM . Hoping she can return to the flock . She loves a few worms and scratching the floor for food , eating cat food / meat . wants out in the garden . I let her out in the front lawn where she scratches the stones where I do not want them . Wondered 2 doors up the street in search of a bug or two. weight is what I want to improve , easily lost but hard to put back on . Poo`s are getting back to normal but not as much as she should be doing . Still giving her energy drink . Seems she can swallow a lot better now which was half the battle. throat looks clearer but it is what is further down that you can not see that counts now.
She even faced up to Harley and her treats which was brave and stupid . pasta and trout seems another good encourager to eat.
lots of eggs , more than selling since a couple of chaps retired .
SHMBO is getting plenty for family and neighbours who look after her cat when she is not around.
Racing Wed evening (Redbridge () and again on Sunday near Ipswich .
looks like work on Sunday , which was un expected . Scotland (Border`s ) on the 13th .
Did not get a lot of time with the flock as up all night (not work related ) and busy today . Old St has a engine fault and needs some part replacement . Bought and being fitted Monday week. More plans for house refurb. , in line for retiring to the country in the near future . (Getting old ) well pretty quite , Mrs Woo vet bill will be soon 110 plus 23 pounds Friday . at least she is still with me, Egg money gone have to start again I suppose.
Bob

Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

hi all , Mrs Woo to vets 2.30 pm Friday . Hoping for a return to flock note.
rest of the flock good and happy.
I have a favourite but not got a name . one of the new girls . Cuddles 2 as she is exactly the same temperament.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Isn't it amazing the different personalities that they all have. Rose and Violet were very nervous and off-hand when we first got them. Rose is still fairly off-hand, but Vi has got a lot better now. Our two new ladies Olive and Ivy are so different, they are so friendly and come running to me every time they see me.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Aren't they just.
Mrs Woo , vet visit . Good and bad . Good is she has not got to have any more meds . She has put on .05kilo now a grand 1 kilo hen. Turned the corner. She has now got a strop on . She will not come back in the dog cage without me doing a half marathon up and down the street. All the children in the street was forming a line and shooing her back to me. She sun baths with the dogs on the grass .
I let 2 new girls both easy catchers and one of course is my official favourite and Goldie the bantam , who was tophenanal of the front and spread her wings so wide and flew at Mrs Woo , who then chased the 2 new girls . taking the bread from their beaks. The bad news is she has got to stay in the dog cage for a good couple of days to make sure the canker does not come back. If it does she maybe not so lucky . other meds available but she the vet was not going to be optomistic for her. Also no eggs can be eaten , as she is not laying , not surprising there as so ill. Hence separate from the flock. She behaved on my lap in the vets as well eating mealworms. Desmond still under dog of the boys . lots of eggs as well.
day shift Sunday then 2 weeks of days. So suns out and things are looking good .
Hope everyone has a good weekend/bank holiday.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Sat evening I had a run in with one of the new boys (boss) . It was a close fight but I I caught him three times and walked around the garden with him , but he kept coming back for more . Cannot blame him as he blames me for not letting the hens loose with him.won . He was up for it for sure . He drew blood on my legs . He needs a flock of his own to look after .Better than dead I suppose .
He went of to bed at dusk with his mates. Flocks good . Mrs Woo went inside after a afternoon /evening stroll out the front and went in the dog cage. She seems ok at present . Eating and drinking . Stopped supplements as well now.
Have a good Bank Holiday .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, be careful Bob. This is the worse time of year for the boys getting stroppy. Perhaps you need to keep trimming the points off his spurs. Luckily my Bill has stopped doing this, probably because his girls are so old he doesnt care any more!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob fingers crossed for Mrs Woo xxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Mrs Woo back with flock .
Sad to say found a hen in the big coop dead Sunday am (over night )
More detail later today.
Fun this morning when I went to fill the new boys water up , they knocked it over , had to open the door with that one ran out amongst the boys , went to get him and another ran out . All hell let loose hens legging it all over , boys running after each other , champ growing at least a couple inches bigger . Grabbed one back in , the other wanting a fight and freedom at the same time . Managed to catch him and put him back in and fill the water as well.
Shame I cannot leave them to roam . Could have done without this before work on the first day back to work , on my own and busy day ahead .

Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,all flock in garden now ,sprats and veg for midday lunch .
Wish I had more time to watch them eat them , like penguins .
Love the fish and do not like sharing them , fortunately there was plenty to go round . Moe , Goldie are sharing a nest box (broody ) , Also Joan has joined in in the little coop end. Pom Pom has decided to give it up and back in the garden. Plenty of eggs .
Sun shining again .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , all good in the flock .
Going to take Jack to the vets soon to get his eye sorted .
Mrs Woo back in garden chasing for food etc.
apart from the noise from the boy`s.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Bob another lost little girlie {hug} but good news re Mrs Woo. What dates are you free June.July August whenever preferably this year :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Hi I am never free always charge money.
Well first things first .
One of the new girls blue and orange ring , had no feather`s when she first came to me , now having all of her feathers was being stamped on and not getting up. She was eating though . I thought better keep an eye on you . In the afternoon I saw a brown lump by the run door and first thoughts was she , guessing it was her was dead .
Well I got to her and picked her up , she has lost a bit of wait and her crop was solid . I took her in doors and gave her a rub on the crop . She sat like good girls do on my leg . Not happy with her weight and not standing up for her self , decided kitchen , dog cage and meds . Well she was pretty happy eating and drinking in the dog cage last night . I took up stairs to the tele room and had her in the cat basket that Champ was happy to sit in . We watched a horror film for a while . I put her in the dog cage over noght hoping for the best fearing the worst .
This am she was standing up out side the bed . Crop hard so it is a case of massage and meds .energy drink to supplement it . She seems quite happy in the dog cage not stressing out at all. Mrs Woo is running around the garden with Desmond for company . Keep staying rest of flock well , famous last words . Tempting fate .
Goldie and Moe have moved into one nest box with Goldie tucked under Moe`s wing . Quite cute to watch . Pull them out a couple of times for a stretch and feeding/water . Joan has stopped sitting today which is one less to pick up and make run around . Plenty of eggs and apart from the boys awake at 5.00am even with the sheeting down .
Free most Sat afternoon s Sundays racing nearly ever day.
Did not get to Scotland this am as work got in the way and to much money to give up.
Have to race somewhere else to pick some points up.
Off Monday so back on Tuesday.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well , B/L still around - Mrs Woo joined her as her breath smells and suspicious that the canker is still in her.
On meds .Both enjoying the sun and a run on the front grass when I can let them loose .They are eating and drinking and generally surviving . Flock in garden happy sun bathing and raiding the kitchen / visiting the pair in dog cage looking at their treats and food.
Capt. Chaos is boss , Champ Second , Desmond running as fast as he can .
New boys are the devils when let loose and my rear end has a target on it for sure . They must blame me for their imprisonment . At least they a live I suppose.
Sun shining and life is good though changeable everyday .
bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all . 3 bits of news .
1 Goldie 2 my hen turned cockerel died today . Found dead under the internal coop of main run. Not sure how old she was but she had a good life that I know of.
2 Mrs Woo has got a pill to take blue in colour . Mezo.... full med name I will write later . one pill a day .
3 Jack the one eyed cockerel that had a disagreement with Desmond .
Took to vets at 11.50am today. Alberto checked him over . Eye sight right eye lost . Seemed ok but needs fattening up . Eye not repairable and ok it present . Should it start to go septic he will get an operation to clean out the eye socket and stich up eye. Not going to do it as dangerous to knock a chicken out and survive .
So 1 lost . 1 in the middle and the other ok .
Another sad day at the house of Penelope and Red .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear you are having another sad day - It never ever gets any easier, but bless you for taking so much care of your girls and boys.