Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by HensAloud »

Are you OK Bill ? I expect you're soaking the sun up, or watering like mad ! It's just that you havnt updated here for what seems ages, only a few days but I do like to keep up with what's happening in the world of Bill )t'
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Good morning Angela

Yes i am fine {hug} ,bless your heart for your concern.Enjoying the sun shine cutting grass and weeding }hairout{ the 2 jobs i dislike most .Not allot going on in the world of Bill did sow some cucumber seeds trying something different willpost some pics later.Did you sow anymore courgetts its not to late ,i do have some spare seed if you would like it )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Tuesday 7th May 2013

Well its another super sunny day ,still no sign of rain we realy do need it on this bit of the east coast has been dry for a few weeks now.
All the spuds i planted are through and have been earthed up.
Although some did catch the frost but will recover maybe put them back a bit but will be fine.
The five fruit trees i moved into where the chickens used to be seem to have survived the move an d the winter and have lots of blossom on
Especially this one ,if all turned to fruit would pull the tree over.
Kidney potatoes all doing well in the pollytunnel ,looking forward to trying them.
Everything else seems to be doing ok should soon have a lettuce for tea,sowed dwarf beans in the rest of it no sign yet .
Moneymaker tomatoes getting there flowers ,once flowers drop will start feeding once a week ,increase to twice when 2or3 trusses are set
Redbeet i set in modualls are through .
Just got the first cucumber pokeing its head through ,these are a stripey skin with a sweet taste not unlike melon,called Melonie by Unwins.
One of the problems i get growing cucumbers is stem rot ,i usually plant on a mound in the pot to keep water away from the stem.This may or may not work but giving it a try .A piece of 3"x1" plastic pipe set seed inside and water into pot pipe goes into pot about 2".Will transplant the whole lot into bigger pot if they grow then it will be wait and see )t'

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Your plants are far more advanced than ours, Bill. No sign of our potatoes appearing. OH has sown yet another lot of peas. Onions are up, but no sign of parsnips yet. Like you we need rain. Our tomatoes are about a quarter of the size of yours.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Good Evening Bill I'm glad you are OK and all in well in Bill land. I was waiting until we get back from our jollies, we go a week today, before I plant anymore, I will check to see if I have any seeds left if not I will take up your offer thankyou. Great pictures again Bill, I think rain is coming in overnight amazing how dry everything is. Tis late only just got in, night night.
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Your plants are far more advanced than ours, Bill. No sign of our potatoes appearing. OH has sown yet another lot of peas. Onions are up, but no sign of parsnips yet. Like you we need rain. Our tomatoes are about a quarter of the size of yours.

You will most probably find everything will suddenly shoot ahead ,i do water every other night ,but not the same as a good rain )t'

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Let us hope so, Bill. We water up too, today it is sort of damping, not enough to be any use. I have just been drooling over Happy Bob's caulies. He doesn't live too far from us, so we ought to have another try at growing them. We were on heavy clay, but for the past nine summers OH has composted the veggie patch soil, and it is much, much better - the weeds like it anyway.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Good Evening Bill I'm glad you are OK and all in well in Bill land. I was waiting until we get back from our jollies, we go a week today, before I plant anymore, I will check to see if I have any seeds left if not I will take up your offer thankyou. Great pictures again Bill, I think rain is coming in overnight amazing how dry everything is. Tis late only just got in, night night.

Afternoon Angela

Not quite so hot today and more cloudy,havent been out partying have you )pty .If you do want some seeds just PM me your address and i will get them off for you.
Watch out for the wind tomorrow supposed to get quite strong )wav(

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Let us hope so, Bill. We water up too, today it is sort of damping, not enough to be any use. I have just been drooling over Happy Bob's caulies. He doesn't live too far from us, so we ought to have another try at growing them. We were on heavy clay, but for the past nine summers OH has composted the veggie patch soil, and it is much, much better - the weeds like it anyway.

Windy tomorrow so a hang on to your hat day )t' Caulies dont like to much heat i grow mine early summer ,on there way but not ready yet,yep best thing with clay plenty of organic matter .We have a very light soil so same plenty of humus to give it some body )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wednesday 8th may 2013

Bit of a disruption in the bean loo roll holders this morning ,runners are starting to wake up pushing all the soil up to get there heads out.

Spotted the first flower on our new Strawberry plants today soon be time to get the net out
Started chitting our Sweetcorn today couple of weeks behind last year.Simply damp kitchen roll in the bottom of an ice cream tub lid on and put somwhere warm i have mine in airing cupboard,couple of days roots and shoots will apear thats the time to pot them on. )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Good evening Bill, I've never heard of sweet corn chitting. Glad to hear your loo rolls are sprouting ! We had a good bit of rain overnight and today, so the new polytunnel guttering is working well, will add an update to my garden tour.
Angela
stewpot
Lively Laner

Post by stewpot »

HensAloud wrote:Good evening Bill, I've never heard of sweet corn chitting. Glad to hear your loo rolls are sprouting ! We had a good bit of rain overnight and today, so the new polytunnel guttering is working well, will add an update to my garden tour.

second that about the sweetcorn Bill. Going to be lazy this year as we are behind and get my 10 for £2.50 from the local centre. If everything there you have comes out and produces you certainly are going to eat well
"Remember as you go through life that a rich man is just a poor man with an incredible amount of money" - Smith & Jones
Stewpots DTL Allotment Diary 2013
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Good evening Bill, I've never heard of sweet corn chitting. Glad to hear your loo rolls are sprouting ! We had a good bit of rain overnight and today, so the new polytunnel guttering is working well, will add an update to my garden tour.

Good late afternoon to you Angela

Shopping day today ugh >dum< i realy realy hate it.

Just about all me beans are through good result there ,found a picture of last years Sweetcorn chitted,for you and Stewart.
At this stage they are ready to go into pots .Hopefully these will be done by weekend can get them potted up ,about 60 this year going to fill one of my raised beds with them as we luv um {rofwl} )t'
Last edited by billnorfolk on 09 May 2013, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

stewpot wrote:

second that about the sweetcorn Bill. Going to be lazy this year as we are behind and get my 10 for £2.50 from the local centre. If everything there you have comes out and produces you certainly are going to eat well

Nothing wrong with buying in plants Stewart,think you will have enough on your hands gettng your ground cleared.Make sure when you plant them nice sunny outlook and plant in a block as they like to inter pollinate.Getting to the stage when its sit back and watch it grow time ,one of the best bits )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

The weather according to Bill was spot on, it's blinking windy all right ! We've gotta go self sufficient and cut out this shopping malarkey )t' who'd have thought sweet corn would sprout like that ! Have fun putting the shopping away {rofwl}
Angela