Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by billnorfolk »

stewpot wrote:Those corn don't half come on fast Bill. Just got a few potted ones from the garden centre this year. Might have to try from seed next year.

Hello there Stewart

Yes they dont hang about 8th may started them chitting and most are an inch high or so now in the pots.Harden them off for a few days Stewart before you put them out as they are fairly tender and this weather is playing some funny tricks at the moment.Just cut first lettuce and a few radish
And the rest to go with a seafood salad ,cockles,whelks and 2 Cromer crabs ,roll on tea time. )eat(

A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wednesday 22nd May 2013

Where oh where is the summer ,bin waiting all day for some rain but stillnot arrived ,but certainly looking like it .Things under glass are looking fine ,but for anything outside its a very slow process.
Will be hopeing to get me sweetcorn out in the next couple of weeks as growing very well .
Tomatoes are all in flower some on there second flowers ,feeding once a week now ,watch the watering as with cooler weather no need to water every day ,if it ever gets hot :? may need watering twice a day.
Hardening a few things off outside ,but am wary of frost as a chance tonight says the weather forcast ,will put inside if it looks like it.
In the pollytunnel the early kidney potatoes are takeing over ,hope the bottoms are as good as the tops )t' Image
French beans makeing progress ,but think they would like it a little warmer.
We have had a cople of he new years day lettuce and very nice they were as well.
Cabbages,caulies and sprouts (ugh) >dowhat< seem to be fairing ok though have been blown a bit by the wind ,volunteer spuds have been the bigest problem ,cant believe how many i left in (should have gone to specsavers i think) )w(

Spuds in the chicken coop are doing ok ,but can notice the ones caught by the frost.
Got the runner beanbed ready was hopeing to have them out this weekend but will probably wait untill this cool spell is over ,if ever. >shrug<

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I'm back )c( everything is looking great in your garden Bill, and the seafood for tea well that's the icing on the cake )eat( I've come home to a polytunnel jungle, everything had gone berswerk. I've got some mystery things too, I will do a video later will you have a look and see if you can help me identify anything please ? It's all from the screened ( {rofwl} ) topsoil and muck mountain ! The chap who looked after everything while I was gone didn't want any eggs, I'm gonna have to get creative to use the 70+ eggs up yike* have a good day.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Annie wrote:Nothing to do with growing things .....................or maybe it is growing friendships.
If you two lovely laners dont arrange to meet with each over the summer sometime, it wil be such a shame, you have a wonderful rapport that comes across in the posts you exchange, it makes such happy reading.

Thankyou Annie, yes I feel Bill is a real pal and a true fountain of knowledge that he's very willing to share. I am always quoting Bill fromNorfolk around the garden to he who does and friends. Are you blushing yet Bill ? :oops:
Angela
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:volunteer spuds have been the bigest problem ,cant believe how many i left in (should have gone to specsavers i think)

me an all - I could understand if I'd missed small ones and mistaken them for pebbles but the other day I oiked out a Kestrel spud the size of a large 1lb baking potato >dowhat< How on earth did I miss that one?????

I agree about the ongoing cold weather - just when things were starting to get moving, the forecast is for daytime temperatures down to single figures again. I'm not too hopeful of getting the squashes going at this rate and the season will be over before they'll be ready.

Nice looking lettuce there )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:
Annie wrote:Nothing to do with growing things .....................or maybe it is growing friendships.
If you two lovely laners dont arrange to meet with each over the summer sometime, it wil be such a shame, you have a wonderful rapport that comes across in the posts you exchange, it makes such happy reading.

Thankyou Annie, yes I feel Bill is a real pal and a true fountain of knowledge that he's very willing to share. I am always quoting Bill fromNorfolk around the garden to he who does and friends. Are you blushing yet Bill ? :oops:

Good job you cant see my face i am beeming )w( .It is lovely to have you home again ,the forum is not the same without you.
It is what we are hear for Angela to try and help each other,it is one of the things that make us gardeners a happy together bunch we can allways find something in common to chat about. )t' .
Hope you both had a realy good relaxing time and the weather was kind to you,it is a fact the things under cover are growing fine sadly same cant be said for outdoor things but hopefully will improve soon. >shrug<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:volunteer spuds have been the bigest problem ,cant believe how many i left in (should have gone to specsavers i think)

me an all - I could understand if I'd missed small ones and mistaken them for pebbles but the other day I oiked out a Kestrel spud the size of a large 1lb baking potato >dowhat< How on earth did I miss that one?????

I agree about the ongoing cold weather - just when things were starting to get moving, the forecast is for daytime temperatures down to single figures again. I'm not too hopeful of getting the squashes going at this rate and the season will be over before they'll be ready.

Nice looking lettuce there )t'

Yes its a bit of a concern LL,maybe get an indian summer that goes on till the end of November ,and then maybe we wont. >shrug<
I agree some of the taties i have dug out have been quite big ,not a clue how i missed them .I only grew one Squash this year and a couple of courgets,bring em out dureing the day but make sure they go back the last 2 nights ,runner beans have been out but put them back in last night ,getting a bit late to take many chances with them now,but need to get them planted soon :?
The lettuces were sown newyears day and allways been under cover ,did put fresh compost in tunnel this year and some organic chicken pellet fertillizer seem to have flourished this last few weeks )t'

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Oh dear, Bill, our tomatoes are way behind yours, and the lettuce is about an inch high. Also OH is bewailing the fact that his parsnips, several rows of them, are not coming up. I know they take a while, but they have been in for ages.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

When do you sow your tomatoes Bill? Mine are a long way behind as well Spreckly, but they'll catch up soon enough.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Spreckly wrote:Oh dear, Bill, our tomatoes are way behind yours, and the lettuce is about an inch high. Also OH is bewailing the fact that his parsnips, several rows of them, are not coming up. I know they take a while, but they have been in for ages.

Parsnips seem to take ages to come up,is it new seed this year he is useing as once opened dont seem to over winter very well .I hate putting seeds direct into the garden but when i have to i cover them withsome fine seed compost not soil,i find it holds moisture better.
If your Tomatoe plants are looking well ,they will soon improve once this wretched weather improves,dont overwater while its still cool .If they looking a bit sickley give them a shot of miracall grow or simulare,i keep some for emergencies )w( .Lettuces have taken nearly 5 months to get to pulling stage ,in the summer usually about 12 weeks sowing to eating ,just down to this awfull weather.

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:When do you sow your tomatoes Bill? Mine are a long way behind as well Spreckly, but they'll catch up soon enough.

Hello LBF

27th February this year ,16th feb last year.Put into bigger pots on 22nd March and final pots in greenhouse on the 14th April.Did put a little heat on for a couple of weeks ,unheated from 29th April.
They are just setting first fruits so just feeding once a week at moment ,will feed twice a week once second trusses set.
You are spot on though will soon get going once this weather settles down )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Friday 24th May 2013

Well we finally got the rain we wanted so badly in East Anglia,started tea time yesterday and still raining and with temp hovering around 6 deg not a very pleasent day ,have left greenhouse and pollytunnel closed today dont want to give them any shocks.
Spreckley was saying about OH and his Parsnips not germinated yet ,both Bob and myself have experience with old seeds expecially Parsnips ,allways sow new seed unopened for best results,if you want to try a few on damp kitchen roll in a warm place to see if seeds are any good ,will germinate in a few days you can try this with any seed to test it ,better than sowing and 3or4 weeks later find they havent germinated.
All you need is some damp kitchen roll ,an air tight tub ie old ice cream tub and a warm place airing cupboard is ideal ,just try6 or so seeds if they germinate chances are they are ok. )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I'd have sent the rain earlier if I'd known you needed it, we've had plenty now, I want some sun, I've been planting out my bedding plants I got from Teescooos at half price before we went away, they were ok and watered well, ( loads apparantly ) just fingers crossed no late frosts. Have a good day Bill.
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:I'd have sent the rain earlier if I'd known you needed it, we've had plenty now, I want some sun, I've been planting out my bedding plants I got from Teescooos at half price before we went away, they were ok and watered well, ( loads apparantly ) just fingers crossed no late frosts. Have a good day Bill.

Good afternoon Angela

We had a lovely lot of rain towards the weekend but got a lovely sunny warm day today :-D .
You have certainly got an eye for a deal ,Wendy did that in B&Q with some Pansies £1 a tray - of course our old fogys 10% off on Wednesday )t' bet you cant wait to be old enough for that ,probably one of the good things of growing old >shrug< cant think of many more.
Think i am going to take a chance and get my runners out tomorrow ,comes a time when they are almost begging to go out.
Wendy planted some Asters we had in the little back garden so hope they will be ok .
Just done a garden tour waiting for it to download will put it on in a while. >gl<

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday 26th May 2013

Well hear we are again with another tour of Bills garden just to show how things are progressing.
With the weather we have experienced of late its a wonder anything is growing but it is be it very slowly .
Looked at the next few days weather for us and decided going to get runner beans out tomorrow ,with temp of 6to9 at night should be ok. :?
Once they done just to sort sweetcorn out and apart from hole filling with a few lettuce job done )t' Hope you enjoy the video )wav(

[youtube]?v=xERjTEayv_8[/youtube]