gardenergirl's 2012 garden diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

gardenergirl's 2012 garden diary

Post by gardenergirl »

It's a beautiful day out today, it almost feels like spring, and it's got me in the mood to think about my plans for the garden this year! Here's how it looks at the moment:

I have one veg bed (still with some leeks in it), but I'd really like space to grow a bit more. Last year I grew peas (a small variety), carrots, garlic, onions and beetroot, all squeezed into the same bed. I'm beginning to think though that my garden has a lot of space that could be put to better use.

I'm thinking that I could put a bed along the fence down the left hand side of the garden, put in some posts and strong netting and use that for peas and beans, and maybe put some more veg beds in along that side aswell.

I'm just throwing ideas around at the moment, but it's going to be a busy year in the garden! :-D
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: gardenergirl's 2012 garden diary

Post by fishpond »

If you don't eat grass, then why all the grass? :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
perchy

Post by perchy »

That is a lovely plot, you could do so much with it, wait til you see my postage stamp for veggies, you have to be realistic too )t'
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

What a pretty picture of such a pretty space! Can't wait to see what you do with it, gardengirl :-D
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

We've spent the last few days putting in three new veg beds. Should be finished tomorrow - will post some pics when it's all done! It's very exciting, I'm really longing for spring now! One thing I'm still not sure of is where I'm going to get topsoil for them all. Last year I bought bags from the garden centre where I worked (staff discount!), but I don't have that option this year, and I'm pretty skint to be honest. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for ads in the papar.

I did manage to get the scaffolding boards for the new beds for £1 each though - result!! :-D
perchy

Post by perchy »

Brilliant, yes sometimes the free papers advertise, good news about the scaffolding planks, I could use some of them, will keep my eyes peeled )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

gardenergirl wrote:We've spent the last few days putting in three new veg beds. Should be finished tomorrow - will post some pics when it's all done! It's very exciting, I'm really longing for spring now! One thing I'm still not sure of is where I'm going to get topsoil for them all. Last year I bought bags from the garden centre where I worked (staff discount!), but I don't have that option this year, and I'm pretty skint to be honest. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for ads in the papar.

I did manage to get the scaffolding boards for the new beds for £1 each though - result!! :-D

That was a bargain , we paid £8 a board last year and were pleased with that {cry}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Annie wrote:That was a bargain , we paid £8 a board last year and were pleased with that {cry}

Ouch! They were £2 each last year, but the company's gone bust and has been bought over by somebody else, so they're selling everything off (that's the last we'll be able to get from there). They're not quite as good as the ones from last year, but more than suitable for veg beds!

I hope no one minds me posting a non-veg related garden pic here, but I'm so happy I have to share! This little guy started coming to the table a couple of days ago - isn't he beautiful!! I love my garden so much!! :-D

perchy

Post by perchy »

Oh we don't mind, he is beautiful {hug}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Lovely - you're so lucky!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Here are the finished veg beds (2 on the left, and you can just see the extention I've put on the one on the right). The ground's been frozen solid for a few days now though, so I haven't been able to dig them over properly - can't even get the fork in!

gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Have been spending lots of time in the garden this last week with all the brilliant weather we've been having. On saturday I planted my garlic (later than I'd meant to - half of the bulbs were rotten :(. I don't know if they'll work out, but fingers crossed I'll get something out of them).
Also sowed my parsnip (Gladiator) seeds, and my Peas (little marvel) in trays.

The grass has had its first cut of the year, and everything's looking a lot tidier and alive all of a sudden. I'll get some more piccies soon!

Oh!! And I set up a little honesty box yesterday for my surplus eggs, and sold 2 boxes yesterday and 2 again today :-D .

gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Must remember to keep up with my diary!

I've planted my tatties (King Edward main crop, and Kestrel 2nd earlies). Also radishes (sparkler), carrots (Nantes and Autumn King), spring onions and mixed lettuces. The garlic has started sprouting, but there's nothing else much to see (pics when there is!).