Cottage Garden 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
recoil
Learner Laner

Cottage Garden 2012

Post by recoil »

Hi all,
I'm new here but have been lurking for a year or so and really enjoy reading the garden diaries so I thought I'd start my own. I will aim to get photos up soon as I now they make these threads a lot better to read.

So far this year I've pruned all the apple trees quite severely as they haven't been done for a good few years. We had a fantastic crop of apples last year and I'm still enjoying the Cider now :)

I've also planted my Garlic from stuff I grew last year. I've also noticed that I must've missed some bulbs of Garlic from last year in my raised beds as they've started shooting up! So I will probably dig them up and move them as I think I'm going to put salad in the raised beds this year.

Pics to follow.
p.penn

Re: Cottage Garden 2012

Post by p.penn »

Hello recoil and welcome. :-D

I missed some (most!) of my garlic last year as the tops snapped off and I couldn't find them! They too are sprouting, but I think they will at least need splitting.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hi and welcome....... )wav( looking forward to getting to know you and seeing your pics )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

Pics as promised.

These are the rogue Garlic plants which need digging up and replanting.

These are my fairly newly planted Garlic bulbs. They're a bit waterlogged at the moment and a few of them need pushing back in a bit but they'll be alright ;)

Messy garden. Needs a good tidy up in the spring or on a dry day (if we ever get any).

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Welcome to the lane :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
manda

Post by manda »

Hi there and welcome to the Lane from me too...good pics :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

)wav( Hi there and welcome to the Lane from me too.

Lovely garden you have there )t'
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello !!

Nice size garden and see you're keen on Garlic :-D :-D

I've never tried growing it, I get a lot of Wild Garlic down the Lane, but may well give it a try this year.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

Thanks for the comments. I use Garlic in just about everything I cook, so save quite a bit of money by growing my own. The same goes for Onions, I can't get enough of them. Also Garlic was the first thing I ever grew and it's dead easy and stores well. That's enough to last all year round and still give some to friends and family. I planted this lot around Christmas time but ideally it should have been in a bit earlier as you can see the rogue plants have already grown quite well and are obviously fighting for space too. i'd definitely recommend giving it a go Richard, it really is a doddle.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I was reading through an old gardening book yesterday and it had this to say about garlic:

Until quite recently scientists smiled at all the wonderful medicinal powers claimed for garlic,but recent research has shown that there is some truth in a few of the old wives' tales. Garlic, of course, has an important role in Continental but not British cookery - it really isnt worth growing unless you are a fan

(emphasis mine)

{rofwl}
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

Haha couldn't disagree more.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Welcome recoil )wav( .. looking forward to following your diary )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hi there and a warm welcome from us too :-D

Lovely pictures and I wouldn't say your garden is messy at all, guessing you don't have any chookies there? :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
recoil
Learner Laner

Post by recoil »

Yeah, we've got about 40 chooks and 6 ducks, but they're not allowed in this garden unless I get a problem with Caterpillars and then I let a couple in.