Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
p.penn

Re: Helen's veggie attempts 2012

Post by p.penn »

Look. Fishpond. You are as bad as Dom. {warn}

Please boys, stop taking this thread )ot:

+f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

They are very bad boys Helen (funny though) and at least your diary thread has the most posts for this time of year - at 1st glance people will be very impressed you have so much to say about your plot already {rofwl}
I tried growing onions in what I call the bakers baskets - the supermarket stacky ones, no red ones did any good butsome of the white were a reasonable size. I tried doing the start them off in egg boxes idea but personally think that a waste of time, IF I grow any this year it will be straight into wherever it is I am going to grow them. The thing is I use quite a lot of onions each week and considering they aren't that costly to buy, I feel I would have to give over the whole of my raised bed to make it worthwhile , so not sure what to do.
Pity we are 400+ miles apart I think we would do better sharing than overdoing it like last year.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think it makes sense to try to grow a few things that are more 'luxury' items iyswim - things that are more expensive to buy in the shops, or taste measurably better in the home-grown version. For me, tomatoes because of the bigger variety and flavour, salad because you can't beat absolutely fresh salad, and watercress will be my non-negotiables this year.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well, at last my thoughts are beginning to take a vague wander in the direction of this year's veggies - largely, I must confess, to the enthusiasm of others on thei site! )b(

I gave my chilli plants from last year a good water yesterday - they are looking ok actually - shooting from the main stem again, and it is nothing less than miraculous that they survived the winter on my lounge windowsill. Indoor plants and me just don't do well!!

I am also thinking herbs. I like growing basil and coriander on the windowsill, and they both really did quite well last year. Coriander was a little frustrating in that it bolted a little too soon, but hey.

I have some broad beans to sow - never grown them, or even cooked them before. :shock: When do I plant them, what do I do with them and how high will they grow?

Some of my garlic is still in from last year and needs slpitting, but the clay is so heavy I can't dig them up. }hairout{

So, basically my 'new improved plan' will be, white onions, garlic, tomatoes, beetroot, chillis (why??). Oh yes and a few salad leaves and spring onions. Oh and courgettes. I am determined to make it all a bit more manageable this year. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
vegalot
Lively Laner

Post by vegalot »

p.penn wrote: I have some broad beans to sow - never grown them, or even cooked them before. :shock: When do I plant them, what do I do with them and how high will they grow?

I have just set mine off, put into modules on the window ledge. As for height, it depends if they are bush ones or upright, I grew the upright ones last year and they reached around 4' high.

I placed stakes at both ends of the row and ran string for support between them, this year I have plenty of 'pea sticks' , which are just branches of thin twigs around 3'-4' high and I will make a sort of hedge out of them to give support to my beans and peas.

Where they are to be planted, I have dug a trench around 8" deep, placed a couple of inches of horse manure (last years) then put the soil back ready for planting. :-D
If a man is alone in the garden and speaks, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you vegalot. yike* You sound a bit more organsed than me. :oops:

I have another question actually, as I have just been out into the garden attempting to clear the junk up! I grew my (nursery bought) blaccurrants and redcurrants in tubs last year and they did rather well I thought. The only thing is, ahem )sh , I didn't do anything to them at the end of the year.

I thing perhaps I should have done, but they are in bud now and I don't want to lose this year's crop, so what is the best thing pruningwise to do with them now? Also, should I top dress them with feed/compost? If so when? Oooh, I do hope someone can help.
Helen xx

Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Coriander was a little frustrating in that it bolted a little too soon, but hey.

I always had this problem too. Last year I tried a new T&m variety called Calypso which you can keep cutting and it grows back and doesn't bolt. It was great I grew it in a large pot and cut it right down 3 times and froze the leaves.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

ooh - thanks for that tip Homemade - I've had the same problem with coriander )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ta Da!!! Finally got a grip today and started on the veg patch. )c(

My last year's garlic lost it's tops and didn't do very well, but it has sprouted. I remembered someone here transplanting them so I lifted, separated and re-planted some of it. I also have some new IOW garlic to plant that a friend brought me but I have lost it for the moment. }hairout{

I then dug over the whole patch - I can't move now as it is such heavy clay and it was really, really hard work. Sometimes I feel my age. )grin2(

I haven't done much to the flower side of the garden yet, although I have removed most of the old pots and junk.

I know they are not veg, but I just wanted to show you the lovely daffs I rescued from the skip at work last year.

I have also got pots of english bluebells which I have just placed loosely into the hanging basket for some spring cheer.

I am going to have a bit of a sort out of my seeds tonight - but I am determined to be more selective about what I grow this year and to only grow what will get eaten.

I have also decided I am going to use my two raised planters that I got last year as 'stew beds'. I am going to grow carrots in one and parsnips in the other (maybe even parsnips and swede) as they don't need too fertile soil I think.

Oooooh....it has begun....... )c(
Helen xx

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

yay! there's something about these early spring days that gets you out & doing )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

)c( )c(

Well done Helen, you really have done well )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thank you! I am very pleased to have got so much done. My goodness I ache all over though. }hairout{
Helen xx

perchy

Post by perchy »

Have a rest day tomorrow Helen {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

So, this is the current plan for the main patch. I noticed today the strip where I dug the garlic up from (which will be toms and maybe courgettes this year) was much wetter and cludgier than the rest of the patch. I assume as it's a little shadier during the winter. :? I am hoping the courgettes will like the extra moisture, although snails and slugs are a real problem - found well over 100 yesterday on the flower bit and have barely started clearing.

I am also working on training the first ever canine vegetable gardener/snail catcher. As you can see, she is progressing well. )grin2(

Helen xx

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Bailey is just gorgeous Helen {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!