Macklin's 2012 diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Macklin
Learner Laner

Macklin's 2012 diary

Post by Macklin »

Having never done the "grow your own " thing befor, this year iv made the concious decision to give it a go.
Last week saw a clear out of the unused greenhouse that was pretending to be a junk shed. The stuff found new homes and the ground got dug over, and compost added.

This week will see the start of the bit of land at the bottom of the garden becoming a veggie plot ( epic diggathon...oh well, think of the excersise!)

Need to decide what to grow.. any ideas as to what a total novice could try would be much apreciated, as this is very much a learn as you go excersise for me.

Wish me luck :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: Macklin's 2012 diary

Post by Lillia »

One thing I am going to suggest is that you Google 'companion vegetables'. I never knew that you can't grow cabbage next to lettuce (one example) but NOW I know why the lettuce didn't grow. Good luck and have fun! :-D
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Good luck with your new veg plot, as for suggestions what to grow its simple grow what you like to eat, if space is at a premium, it maybe an idea to leave out potatoes (you can buy a 55lb bag for a fiver)and instead grow some of the more expensive to buy veg like aspragus, strawberries, or unusual veg that are harder to find such as pac choi, kohl rabi etc. Whatever you decide to grow, have fun and enjoy.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Good luck from me too. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com