Bills 2012 garden diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Bills 2012 garden diary

Post by billnorfolk »

Well after Thursdays temp 19 deg really thought spring had sprung ,2 lots of Tomatoes sowed on the 16th are well through,Money maker ,and some yellow ones +confused+
Sown in pots popped in a propagator and placed indoors on a warm window sill,keep turning so don't all lean over. will thin down to one plant per pot soon.
Out in the greenhouse (unheated ) on the 16th again sowed some cabbage Greyhound,and some caulies ,just poking there heads through
Will put them in the pollytunnel in about 3 weeks once big enough to handle,hopefully get some Early greens. )eat(
Managed to get the cover on the pollytunnel so ground should be warming nicely
Will sow some early carrots,red beat ,radish,in tunnel next week if doesn't turn to cold.
The lettuce seeds i put in the greenhouse over Christmas have done so well have moved them out to the cold frame ,in a grow bag see how they get on.
Have put some early spuds into bags in the greenhouse 4 spuds per bag on about 5-6 in of compost,covered in compost and will keep filling as tops grow ,will be able to move them outside before i need the room for me Tomatoes,mustn't forget to water em
Spent some more of the kids inheritance and bought a new shed :-D

Going to use it as a potting shed if the wife doesn't beat me to it ,she can always find something to put in me sheds.
With 3 windows faceing south ,and a bench should be able to while me time away potting me seeds. )cof(
Turned a bit colder and frost forcast for tonight so not out of the woods yet ,but summer just around the corner cant wait )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Bills 2012 garden diary

Post by Richard »

Looks like you're really going for it Bill and well up to scratch.

Good luck with it all.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Very, very nice :-D
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh, you look so organised and every thing so neat, it looks really great.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Thanks all for your coments )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Saturday March 3rd

Seems like winters back after a few days of spring like weather ,but never mind not to far away now )w(

Put me tomatoe plants into bigger pots as were starting to get a bit leggy,a tip i found is to pot into next size pot up lifting the plant by its leaves not stem as could break it ,ease it out with a plant lable ,make a deepish hole with a cane or pencil to just belowe the leaves ease plant in drop in a little compost to fill hole water and hey presto no more leggy plants,roots will grow out of the stem and with tomatoes the more roots the more and better fruit )t'
The foil behind reflecs light around your plants stops them pulling towards the window.
Put the enviromesh on where me cabbages and peas are going this year ,hopefully keep the moth and butterflies out
3 of me raised beds are the same width so can move it about year on year
was hopeing there would be enough to cover the little one as well but wasnt will have to buy some more
The beauty of that stuff is once on and things planted can be left on all the time as can feed and water through it ,keeps out carrot and cabbage root fly :-D

elsietoo
Learner Laner

Post by elsietoo »

Looks great, and I love your enviromesh tunnels :-D
Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Looks great, was just wondering what you used to make those tunnels? Or are they brought like that? I'd like to copy as I'm sick of caterpillars and greenfly wrecking my plants
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Funky chicken wrote:Looks great, was just wondering what you used to make those tunnels? Or are they brought like that? I'd like to copy as I'm sick of caterpillars and greenfly wrecking my plants

The big one is part of an old polly tunnel frame ,treated myself to a new one this year so found a use for the old one .The smaller one is plastic edgeing strip used around plastic doors to cover up the mastic B&Q think it was about £2.20 per strip .Anything that will hold its shape will do used to use thick fence wire which was cheep.Used canes last year joined with rubber gas pipe to make square shape worked just the same.

Hope it helps you.Saves the sprays you need to kill the bugs as dont get them any more )t'

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Sunday March 4th 2012

Pretty wet horrible day so found me an inside job ,decided to get some peas on the way in guttering. )w(

Around about 4ft guttering and about 40 peas,all my beds are just over 8ft so will get 2 rows accross.Aparently never done it before but should slide out of guttering once ready for garden into a furrer about same depth and width as gutter.Put them in the polltunnel once done. )t'

Bits of frame from the old tunnel come in handy keep them up ,seems the mice like peas ,didnt put any drain holes in the bottom as think roots may grow through makeing them hard to slide out of the gutter.
Also put some leek seeds in pots in the greenhouse. :-D

HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

All looking great Bill and some good tips and advice thankyou.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Your welcome Bob ,happy if they help someone :-D

East Anglia is very short of water at the moment ,it has been raining for the last 24 hours and still raining but i expect 99% of it will end up in the sea ,what a waste. }hairout{

Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Thank you for the tip, I've made one tunnel and have enough materials for at least another one, there just aren't enough hours in a day )t'
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Funky chicken wrote:Thank you for the tip, I've made one tunnel and have enough materials for at least another one, there just aren't enough hours in a day )t'

That is what ifind ,days are getting longer though )t'
Glad it helped ,would love to see some pictures of the finished tunnel :-D

Funky chicken
Longlasting Laner

Post by Funky chicken »

Hi here's a pic of the tunnel I made hopefully it will do the trick, I've used a plastic sheet but will replace with mesh later, think its ok for a first attempt and it cost hardly anything. )t'