Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Forgot what happened last year - maybe it's here!!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Bills 2013 GYO Veggie Diary

Post by Linda S »

Thanks for the recipe Bill and please thank Wendy for giving it to you, i think i will have a go at that, but where will i get rose water from :-D

TBH Bill im not a sweet stuff fan really, im a nut cruncher and crisp gobbler and prefer something savoury although i do partake occaisionally.
Specially carrot cake well can it be 1 of my 5 a day do you think. Its like at the chinese buffet i always make sure i have my veg , you know the crispy fried seaweed and garlic broccolli and stir fried this that and the other {rofwl}

Anyhow seeing the delicious offerings on display made by your good lady and the other members on here i do find my mouth watering in a very disturbing way, and drbbles down the chin arnt a good look are they

I would imagine those bakewells smell divine and look even better in the flesh so to speak you lucky )de: Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300ml-ROSE-WA ... 2317cb50ee

This is where Wendy got hers but probably Asda ,Tesco or at a push health food shop.

I am the sweet toothed one Wendy like you likes her saverys )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:
HensAloud wrote:That's a good lot of tates there Bill. We've had it hot here too gone cloudy now, rain tomorrow apparantly )t'

Wether more comfy for me old folk now ,looks like we will be having tates every way there is .
Things comeing to an end in the garden now Angela ,few more beans left to pull Wendy estemates frozen abot 35 to 40 lb this year.Still got sweetcorn to harvest cook 4 everyday for snacks cant leave it alone,nice raw as well.Tomatoes looking a bit tired now ,soon be time for green tomatoe chutney ,still hopeing for some Sprouts if the caterpillers dont eat the lot,but all in all dont think we will starve.
Have you started prepairing your runner bean patch yet ,and a 6ftx6ft square for your Sweetcorn you growing next year )t'

Good Evenin Bill, now this is where me self set toms are coming into their own, I have loads ripening, we had some plum ones fried with sausage and chips tonight and they were very nice. My beans are still going strong I have nowhere empty yet to start preparing me sweetcorn patch. Your Wendy is a fab cook by the looks of them cakes you certainly don't starve. I don't like the sound of munching through an earwig, they make me shudder good job the hens like to make a snack of the creepy blighters. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, it's gonna be sunny, won't be many more of them left this year.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Do some chutny if you have loads can send a recipe if you like,yes i dont go short of food Angela as my stomach will contest {rofwl}
Sunny today nice breeze off the sea so cooler,Wendys picked load more beans but getting near done now )t'

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:Do some chutny if you have loads can send a recipe if you like,yes i dont go short of food Angela as my stomach will contest {rofwl}
Sunny today nice breeze off the sea so cooler,Wendys picked load more beans but getting near done now )t'

G'Evenin Bill, I would love a tried and tested by you recipe please. The nights are decidedly chilly now, the hens are going to bed earlier and earlier, soon be time to light the fires.
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:
billnorfolk wrote:Do some chutny if you have loads can send a recipe if you like,yes i dont go short of food Angela as my stomach will contest {rofwl}

G'Evenin Bill, I would love a tried and tested by you recipe please. The nights are decidedly chilly now, the hens are going to bed earlier and earlier, soon be time to light the fires.

Hiya Angela

This is the one Wendys used twice i can recomend it )t'

This 1970's recipe is particularly good for using up green or slightly ripe tomatoes at the end of a growing season. It is hard to get wrong and seems to be very forgiving. We make it year after year.

Tomatoes have only become really popular in recent times. They were readily available in Victorian England but were treated with some suspicion. They were thought to be somewhat poisonous unless they had been well boiled to make them edible. They first appear therefore in pickles and chutneys. Eating tomatoes raw only began to catch on in the mid-nineteenth century and even then took time to be accepted.

Ingredients
2lbs (900g) green or red tomatoes, chopped
2lb (900g) cooking apples, chopped
1 lb (450g) onions, chopped
1/2 lb (225g) sultanas
1lb (450g) brown sugar
1 oz mustard seed (This is most of one of the small spice bottles you can buy)
1 1/2 pints (900ml) malt vinegar
1 teaspoon of the following: cayenne pepper, dry mustard powder, curry powder, dry ginger powder, turmeric.
1 dessertspoon salt
1 tablespoon plain flour

Making and cooking it
Put your clean, dry jars into a low oven to sterilise, while you prepare the chutney
Measure out your ingredients
Add the chopped, onions, apples and tomatoes to a large pan with the sultanas, mustard seed, brown sugar and vinegar. Cook until the fruit and vegetables are soft (40 minutes approx)
Mix the remaining spices together in a cup with the salt and flour
Add this to the hot mixture stirring continuously while the chutney thickens
Continue to cook but on a low heat for a further 10 minutes
Spoon or pour the hot mixture into the clean, hot jars. Use oven gloves, as the jars and chutney will all be very hot
Cover the jars with a cellophane jam disc and then put the lid on tightly. This will stop the vinegar touching the metal lids which can spoil your chutney
NB The chutney needs to be left for a few weeks for the flavours to blend, but will go on improving for months. The chutney can be stored for up to a year. )t'

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:With the glut of Blackberrys this year ,Wendy has been looking at ways of useing some up ,crumbls,pies are very very nice but her latest idea is a Blackberry Bakewell cake,arent i lucky )t'

ooooh, they look lovely - I bet there's not even a crumb left by now LOL
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

You have bin peeping LL,yes they were very lovelly it was a recipe in the paper she made them from,waiting for some more now )w(

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Oooooo thankyou Bill, I did smile at the keeps for a year, no chance ! {rofwl}
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

HensAloud wrote:Oooooo thankyou Bill, I did smile at the keeps for a year, no chance ! {rofwl}

If you dont eat it all it will Angela )w( apart from me shreded wheat i have it with everything its luverly {rofwl}

HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:
HensAloud wrote:Oooooo thankyou Bill, I did smile at the keeps for a year, no chance ! {rofwl}

If you dont eat it all it will Angela )w( apart from me shreded wheat i have it with everything its luverly {rofwl}

Shredded Wheat and chutney, where's your sense of adventure Bill ? {rofwl}
Angela
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Wednesday 11th September 2013

Cant believe how the weather has changed,yesterday struggled to reach 11 deg todays high 13 deg so not much better .
Decided to harvest some of the Sweetcorn 37 cobs ripe and the 20 or so we have allready had ,the worrying thing is all plants still have 1 cob left some have 2 that are still to ripen if the weather now decides to stay cold it wont happen so may loose half of them {cry}
Anyhow all cleaned still made a nice heap.
Wendys arm busy blanching for the freezer )c+
I think the idea is give thema boil for a few mins then cool as quick as possible.
These unripe and not very well pollinated ends came fromthe outer rows ,showing how nessacery that is to set in blocks not straight rowsto get good pollination.

Dug a few more leeks and parsnips both better for some frost but loads set so wont hurt,onions are ready nice and firm .

Hope some warmer weather returns as still about 50 to 60 sweetcorn cobs to harvest and would be a shame to loose them >shrug<

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Nice harvest there Bill )t' I hope the sun comes out again for you, how far off being ready are the others ?

Do the cobs freeze better than shop bought, tbh iv found that shop ones can be a bit sort of waterlogged and not a very good texture.
I tend to get the kernals more for us if not getting tinned and get cobs as well as tinned for the girls they love them :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Probably still need a couple of weeks of sunshine,all the top ones were ok and some of the second ones down ,non of the lower ones are ripe and only a few of the middle ones,trouble is as they ripen they also swell so you realy cant take off the plant to ripen.
Never froze shop bought so not sure problem may be the taste as need eating within a few hours of picking ,same goes for freezing ,shop bought taste allready gone as the sugare soon turns to starch,and sorry but tinned corn only good for catching carp )w( .
But as you say my girls used to luv them )t'

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:Cant believe how the weather has changed,yesterday struggled to reach 11 deg todays high 13 deg so not much better .

it was really cold yesterday - I can't believe that only last week when I was going out one evening that I didn't even bother taking a jacket but last night I took a hot water bottle and a mug of hot chocolate to bed just to warm up. This morning felt a bit more pleasant but now that it is raining, I've started putting layers on.

billnorfolk wrote:Hope some warmer weather returns as still about 50 to 60 sweetcorn cobs to harvest and would be a shame to loose them >shrug<

me too - I haven't even started to harvest any yet {cry} Way too cold for this time of year ....