LL's Gardening Diary

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: LL's Gardening Diary

Post by Mo »

Brambles are a nightmare. Root both ends and middle like a mesh.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It must be a winter thing where I get itchy fingers and want to start sowing stuff even though I am not in a position to take on a gardening project! The seeds I bought a couple of years ago before I took ill are still viable (ornamental grasses and wildflowers) and some are best sown in autumn or late winter / early spring so I am tempted to sow some indoors to give them an early start. The biggest problem will be when it comes to planting out ... last year I failed to plant out some that I had bought cheap from a supermarket outside display (if I recall, French marigolds and a gooseberry bush + there was the Christmas tree in a pot from work) and that is what is putting me off a bit.

As for the Christmas tree, despite still being in the pot and barely watered during dry spells of weather, it seemed to be growing and thriving. However, over the winter months it has decided to die - not sure why (if it was pot bound, then this would have been evident during the growing period, not dormant period)

Meanwhile, the spring bulbs in the big pot by the front door are all growing nicely - mainly Hyacinth and tulips but there should be some daffodils too. Whether they'll flower is another thing as the bulbs should have been thinned out and it is looking rather crowded now.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Give it a go. At least you'll see them sprouting indoors, and maybe there'll be days when you are fit enough to get outside.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire