Chicken supermarket sales

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi gigglingfish

If the chicken is labelled free range then I do not think they would dare sell anything other than.

Haven't you got a farmers market or small farm near to you?

James
Lively Laner

Post by James »

i heard tesco had slashed the price of battery chicken after that campaign. basically two fingers up to the idea.

i do not think i will shop at tesco any more.

Jamie Oliver is right to say buy from British farmers. We are getting a lamb from the field next door in May, apparently it is £22 for a whole lamb. Then you need to get to slaughtered, butchered etc... Not sure if my partner Mandy will want to see the little lambs get butchered though.
Exchanging home grown fruit and vegetables
http://www.VegExchange.com
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I was so annoyed about the total lack of free range produce in my local supermarkets (two out of three) haven’t had a stock of free range meat that I started a thread somewhere else in this forum but feel a bit foolish now (it’s been pointed out to me). School-boy-error on my behalf I’m afraid.
Anyway we’ve stopped eating chicken totally due to the unavailability in our area, the supermarkets seem to stuff the shelves with nicely packaged birds with pretty farmyard pictures on the label (different establishment than HFW went to). Not only are they not seeming to have free range in stock but actively seeking to fool the customer into buying “specially rearedâ€
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Don't worry about the duplicate thread, we all do it. There's often more than one place a topic can go, and yours will point people in this direction.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Waitrose in Chichester has been consistent with Free Range shelf space, but the free range shelves have been empty on occasions. I sometimes venture into Sainsbury's and when I have they have had little on the free range shelves - but the spaces are there. Can only conclude that free range is selling well here.

As I don't buy eggs I have no idea how the battery V free range is going in that department....... do any of us buy eggs?
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Must admit i can usually always buy free range chicken for OH in theSainsburys here shop in Cambridge, but they can't always deliver when i do my on line order, that is a different branch but the same shop :?
Cheers
mel x
debbiedav
Learner Laner

Post by debbiedav »

I was unable to get a free-range chicken from my local Morrissons last week. I asked an assistant whether they had any and she said they hadn't but that "these ones have this sticker on (freedom food sticker) so they should be okay!" I pointed out that this didn't mean they were free range but she didn't seem too interested! Needless to say I came out without a chicken for Sunday lunch!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

debbiedav wrote:I was unable to get a free-range chicken from my local Morrissons last week. I asked an assistant whether they had any and she said they hadn't but that "these ones have this sticker on (freedom food sticker) so they should be okay!" I pointed out that this didn't mean they were free range but she didn't seem too interested! Needless to say I came out without a chicken for Sunday lunch!

It was this company that that i think is seeminglydeliberately trying to fool the public into buying non-free range chicken. I haven’t seen any on the shelves for a month now although the quantity of happy field and freedom food stickers has increased, come to think of it so has the number of BOGOF offers on bargain packs. They may have accidentally ordered the wrong stuff or genuinely run out, so i may be way off the mark.
Waitrose is normally pretty good for whole birds but lacks somewhat if it’s thigh or legsyou want as they seem to prefer to stock pre packed breasts and goujons (the same thing really). Not sure about ASDA as I don’t tend to go in there unless there’s a BOGOF on Gin. (which there hasn’t been recently as far as I’m aware.
Last edited by saint-spoon on 12 Mar 2008, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Tania wrote:
As I don't buy eggs I have no idea how the battery V free range is going in that department....... do any of us buy eggs?

They all sell free range eggs and as far as I can tell all have their own brands. I’m not sure how well the campaigns going as one or two always seem to have a “too good to miss (five dozen eggs for a pound) dealâ€
Gixer
Lively Laner

Post by Gixer »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'Barn egg range' ? :?
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Barn eggs are from hens reared in a barn with windows, and not a great deal of floor space either i belive, but im sure someone else will be along sooner with more info!

Re tesco, i no longer shop there, there is thread on here somewhere where you can email them and asda, about there sales of battery eggs, i shop in co-op alot as its close to me and when im being lazy i shop on-line with waitrose, not as much as i used to though. I too found that its hard to get free range on line, everytime i shopped on-line i couldnt get free range ham etc for kids sanwhiches etc, but i guess it can only be a good thing!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Sometimes barn eggs can be from the cages kept in barns....they are up to every trick these producers.

I was surprised at Black Farmer (c) chicken not being free range as at nearly £7 a go that is not cheap.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Aha, heres a new twist for you all - in T***o we found free range chickens - hoorah, I hear you chant, BUT they were french!!!!

So yet again, went without. Luckily OH went across the road to Sainsbugs and got a reduced British free range!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I do my big shop online and usually use T's. Just before I joined this forum I ordered a free range chicken, it was one of the W farm ones. When it arrived it had those hock marks on that I thought only intensively reared chickens get. Are these marks caused by anything else other than sitting in their own excrement?

Rachel
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

no, from what I understand, its as you say, Urine burns. confused>
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk