Chocolate addict

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Chocolate addict

Post by LisaB »

Hi guys!
Some of you know a while ago I was on a good diet which was really working, then my grandad had a stroke (he's doing well, by the way) and I found myself comfort eating.
Then my health started going down hill (and it's still down there) and I've just been indulging myself in so much chocolate, and I really can't stop.

Not only have I put on weight but my skin has also turned to crap (I usually have pretty good skin) and my temper is so short, I keep having arguments with my mum and the littlest thing irritates me. I feel and look horrible, so what do I do? Eat more chocolate of course!

I've even decided to slowly go vegan, but I keep going back to chocolate (vegan chocolate is nasty). I really don't know what to do! I've never been like this before, but I really can't help myself.
I can barely move at the moment, so I also sort of find it like a quick snack, so I don't have to do anything, just get a bar out the cupboard.

I just don't know what to do, I really cannot help myself. The obvious answer would be to not buy any chocolate but my dad just keeps buying it because it was on offer }hairout{

Anyone have any tips?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chocolate addict

Post by Mo »

I know all about chocolate.
When spending time with MIL and feeling sorry for her (because she had arthritis) and sorry for myself (because I was stuck there, away from home); I did the same. Went up 2 dress sizes.

In your case it's not just clothes, it must affect your mobility too.

How about asking your Dad to buy some other treat that's nice but not so addictive. And to hide all the chocolate. Dried apricots, fresh fruit, a handful of sultanas, would give you something nice, but wean you off chocolate.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks Mo, yes that's one thing I forgot to mention, that I know this is no good for my joints.

The only thing I find that stops me eating chocolate is bananas, because they're quite filling, but I would need to eat about 5 a day to stop my cravings }hairout{
I do love dried apricots, but they're so expensive and I only like the M&S ones :oops: the ones from tecso I find are too chewy and tough :?

I think if I could sort my sleep pattern out I would be much better, but I just feel so drained constantly I guess the sugar gives me a bit of a kick.
I really don't know what to do about my sleep, I sleep 4-6 hours a night, but with having Chronic Fatigue it's just not enough. I used to nap for an hour in the afternoon, but I thought, if I want to go to college or start working I need to get rid of that habit. I also thought it might help me sleep more at night, but it doesn't.
I'm just stuck in a vicious cycle I can't get out of.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

It's a vicious circle isn't it?!
I would be careful about going vegan, and just make sure that you're getting everything you need, otherwise you might find yourself going backwards health-wise (my friend was vegan for twenty years, but she said that in the beginning it was a real struggle to find the right balance and keep herself healthy - she'd made a massive change to her diet very quickly).
I've been told that taking extra b-vitamins can help you curb chocolate cravings - not sure how true that is, but it might be worth a try.
Can you talk to your Dad & say that you think that so much chocolate is making you feel worse, and ask him to help you by either not buying it at all, or just by buying it and eating it when you aren't around?
Have you ever come across The Mood Cure - if you can get hold of the book, it's well worth a read - lots on physical health as well as mood/mental & emotional health.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Maybe worth trying to find a choccie alternative? When I need a chocolate fix and am trying to be good I mix an Options hot choclate sachet into some low fat yoghurt (usually a vanilla Muller Light) and it gives me a choccie hit without being fattening. I know it's not quite the same but maybe you can come up with your own alternatives?
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Lisa, why can't you eat 5 bananas or more a day?
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Lisa, everyone here will give you advice and as much support as we can but I think you should be seeking professional help too. Any one else of your age we could probably get tough with, with our advice but you know you are a special case, (how you must hate that too x) and playing around with diet could have unknown consequences to your health. Its cruel to be stuck in this cycle at your age and all I can say is I really want you to feel better, have more energy,sleep better and get back to a more normal lifestyle {hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks guys.

I'd feel really rude asking my dad to not buy treats, it's nasty to tell him not to buy them because of my own problems, just doesn't sit right with me.

Don't worry I will be going vegan very very slowly, lots of practice in making nice balanced meals, and lots of research into knowing I get everything I need.

I used to use yoghurt instead of chocolate too, but I have a love hate relationship with it, I have months where I really like it, then months where the thought of it makes me a little ill, right now, I really really don't fancy yoghurt. Odd isn't it :? I used to occupy myself when I had cravings, go for a walk, take the dogs out, etc but right now I'm like a potato, can't do a thing.

Thanks for the book recommendation LBF - I'll have a looksie if I can find it!

Fishpond - I thought you weren't meant to eat more than one or two bananas a day, or is that a myth? Either way, I think buying 35 bananas a week would be a bit pricey :oops:

Annie - I'll be making an appointment with the doctors this week (have been meaning too for weeks but really don't have the motivation to go). I need to talk to him about my sleep, the last doctor I went to actually told me to Google my problems! I thought doctors were paid to help us with our problems, and not make us do the research ourselves? And we all know how easy it is to look up symptoms and think we have something horrific when really it's nothing. I also need to talk about my medication and pain etc as something clearly isn't working. I will also mention my diet too and see if he can recommend something/someone :)
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Glad you are going to the doc. I agree with Annie, some professional help and advice needed.

Food really affects mood as well as physical health. We got into the habit of eating a lot of chocolate when our son was ill. We have cut back gradually - but it is still one of our little luxuries, we only have it in the evening now after tea so not hungry means shouldn't eat too much. And don't feel guilty when you do eat it cos that just makes you more depressed.
Omega 3 oils are good for the brain and making you feel better but I don't know the vegan source for these as they are usually fish oil.

Try just having a few squares of really dark choc. when you feel the need, after a while you may find the milk choc too sweet.

{hug}
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thanks Homemade {hug}
I will look into omega 3 oils, as Quorn (although I know it isn't vegan) recently released non-fish fish fingers containing omega 3 so I wonder what they use!
I'm really not a fan of dark chocolate, too bitter for me.
I made my dad buy me some dried apricots though )eat(
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I found this

"Vegetarian diets can be low in omega-3 fatty acids (O3FA). Major vegetarian sources of O3FA include algae, hempseeds and hempseed oil, walnuts, flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, olive oil, canola (rapeseed) oil, avocado and chia seeds."

So I think I could get some omega 3 from other sources.

Oh and I should add - I will also be eating the chooks eggs, can't give them up )eat(
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

"Fishpond - I thought you weren't meant to eat more than one or two bananas a day, or is that a myth?
Either way, I think buying 35 bananas a week would be a bit pricey"

Hi Lisa, depends who you listen to, whether you are already on Pottasium supplements and what medication you are on.
As has been said, best to discuss with your GP.

35 Bananas a week seems an insignificant cost when weighed up against your health.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Thanks Lisa, I knew there was a reason I put those seeds on my cereals. Hubby has them in his sandwiches! (never heard of chia seeds though -will look them up)

Walnuts and avocado would be good for snacks.

If you will be eating eggs I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for those -need to eat- moments. Lots of goodness and not many calories.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Glad you have already made the decision to go to the Drs , Lisa, does Mum go along as a bit of moral support, think you have to be firm and ask for sensible solutions not referred to Goggle for help (too many sites are USA based and dont always relate to whats available in the UK an any case). This will sound obvious, I suppose, but if I think I am overdoing the chocolate, I try to satisfy myself with just one square of milk chocolate and I suck it to make it last longer than if you chew, the flavour stays with you for sometime too. Suck a square and when its gone ,before you reach for the next piece, find yourself a small activity to do - even if its only collecting the eggs or tidying a magazine away - so long as you get up and motivate yourself into something . You know its probably the brain doing the craving so kid it on its had its ration. I find chocolate bars that aren't just chocolate are consumed far too quickly and dont give you the satisfaction of just a square of milk chocolate.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

That's very true fishpond, I guess it's just one of them things I've always been told and never really thought about it, will ask the Doc! Thank you

I'm not a fan of boiled eggs, unless mixed with mayo in a sandwich :( ahh, I'm so funny with the textures of some foods!

My mum will take me to the Docs Annie, as I don't have another way of getting there, but she doesn't see the Doc with me. The doc who told me to use google isn't a great doctor, I've been to see her once before and she fobbed me off then as well, I just went to see her as it was the soonest appointment I could get. My GP is lovely though, he's known me all my life so hopefully he'll be able to help me.

I've tried just having one square Annie but it just doesn't work for me :oops: I really can't stop myself. I had 12 squares today, and biscuits. {cry} Like normally if I did have a binge I would do some sit ups and a little work out and take the dogs out, but now I can't do anything. So then I feel worse and eat more!
I can't find anything to take my mind off it, I've tried drawing, training the dogs, even just going and taking my make up off and redoing it (as it takes me a while :oops: ) but as soon as I'm finished I go and eat.
I think my body's just too drained to be honest, I just feel like, oh well I'm in pain I can have some chocolate {rofwl}