Richard's Veggie Patch

Members adventures in the Vegetable Patch all year round
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Richard's Veggie Patch

Post by Richard »

It was actually a nice sunny day today, the ground is all sludgey so I thought a good time to start digging, which I did.

I spent about two hours total. Would have been one hour if it weren't for five chickens knowing a Garden Fork means worms !!

I took some video and it'll be part of my Downshifter Diary entry later this week.

I was lucky in the week, I've used all my Carrot, Courgette, Cucumber and bog standard Tomato Seeds and they had those as four of the six freebies in this month's Grow your Own Magazine )t' Still a non cost effective but some good reading for me.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Re: Richard's Veggie Patch 2014

Post by Richard »

[center]Image[/center]

Although I haven't posted since my first entry I've, on the rare dry day, been spending a lot of time in the Garden.

I've been busy retrieving the Pallet Wood from old Fruit Boxes in the back of the old Windmill (the Landlord says help myself - so I have - they've served me Rayburn Wood for the last 10 years and there's still loads left!).

Thus far I've made two, one for Carrots and the other for Onions.

Just a case of sinking them in a bit and filling up. So it's coming along.

Sowing Broad Beans next week.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Nice photo, Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Look what I saw rising from the Raised Beds this morning !!!

Not keeping my fingers crossed that winter's nearly over yet though !!

[center]Image[/center]
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hope the frosts stay away for the gardeners, though the weeds this spring are more plentiful than normal.
Richard

Post by Richard »

My great and cunning plan for 2014..

Richard )t'
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Looks like a plan to me Richard! I'm struggling to figure out a plan like this. Need to have a serious read up on companion planting. Need to get the most from my space and figure out what goes with what.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,

I put south in there to show I grow in rows north to south so the rows get equal sun.

The Onions are to the west of the Carrots which due to the prevailing wind, the Onions should distract Carrot Fly - I do put a mesh around the Carrots as well though (Carrot Fly come in horizontal).
The other way round, Carrots help to reduce Onion Fly.

I grow the Beetroot between the Runner Beans. The Beetroot grows pretty well before the Bean Leafs take away the shade too much. I've done this for quite a few years now and had big success.

The Sweetcorn, Courgettes and French Beans are the Three Sisters system, they all help each other with the Courgettes giving big ground cover which cuts down the weeds.

It all sounds good but I go by the 50/50 system, you sow the seeds, they either come up or they don't !!

Richard )t' )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

It';s starting to look more of a vegetable garden now!

The Onions Sets are in and under the upturned Bread Baskets and other for protection.
I've put 140 in thus far and still 25 to find gaps for.

I feel the Plot could be extended a bit soon !

I've put some horse manure along a line where the Runner's will go, it's mixed into the Three Sisters area well.

The Plastic Bags are covering the soil where the Broad Beans are going in after hardening off. Bit late due to not being able to sow outside because of the February / early March rain.

[center][URL=http://s224.photobucket.com/user/downthelane/media/garden-march-23_zps08569ee3.jpg.html]
Image[/URL][/center]

So, going OK.

Richard >veg1<
Richard

Post by Richard »

and even more so today !!

I cleared the mess next to the Greenhouse and put a large Tub there plus some old work tops to put other potted Veg in - then finished off the digging and dug some manure in.

Have to say I'm going well, without pre-season training I'm probably three weeks ahead of myself (but watching the herniated disc!!)

[center]Image[/center]

Richard
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Going great guns Richard )t'
[center][/center]Davina
Richard

Post by Richard »

Big day today.

Sowed Carrots, Beetroot, more Onion sets, put the Bean poles up and fertilized the lot.

Plus started to put my Prayer Flags up from Kathmandu!

[center]Image[/center]
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It does look good Richard, hope you have a good crop of everything this year. OH planted first early potatoes yesterday.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Way forward spreckers.

Without working at Cricket pre-season I've had time to do things and pace myself as well.

Mind you, I work 3 days next week then straight off to Southampton for four days.

But it's all in order. :-D

Richard
Richard

Post by Richard »

[center]Image[/center]

Not much to report til later this week, but here's a photo taken this evening.

Richard >veg1<