Toiletting dog away from home

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Toiletting dog away from home

Post by Spreckly »

I have mentioned this in other threads, but can anyone help me, and have others experienced the same?

Angel had three previous owners before she came to us, well treated, greatly loved by all previous owners. She was eighteen months. At the first she was reluctant to toilet, and a trip to the vet was necessary after thirty six hours of non-urination. Gradually over the past three years, we rarely have problems, but she makes up for it when we are away in the caravan. One time we kennelled her, which we were most reluctant to do, but have taken her with us ever since, despite the kennels assuring us that she was OK.

On our last break, we had to come home, as she was not pooing, after having the runs on a busy campsite, next to a main road. We walked her down a quiet lane, where there was plenty of offering from other dogs - no joy at all. Instead of going to the next two campsites, as planned, we came home, fearing she now had a blockage. Once home, she was OK, though it took a few days for the glazed look to leave her eyes and her behaviour to bounce back to normal. She is a sheltie.

We go away again this weekend, to a campsite we have used several times in the past, and hopefully there, she will be OK, with some encouragement. Then we go on mid week to a big show, for our first visit, and I am apprehensive as to what will happen. It will be a busy five days, where we will be helping out, so can't very well pack up and head for home.

Last year I thought we had won with the problem, and on our first camping trip in April this year she was brilliant, it was a site we have used for several years, but our last trip was a real downer.

I have thought of taking samples with me (!), not a good idea when it is hot perhaps, but despite coaxing and soothing, Angel just seems unable to relax enough to "go".
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Toiletting dog away from home

Post by lancashire lass »

At first it made me wonder if she had associated a bad experience with going to the toilet away from the safe environment of home, so might need to be "retrained" to learn it is okay. And sometimes an owners concerns and worries are sensed by dogs which might make her more nervous without realising it.

Also, a change in environment by going away might be a reason why she isn't going to the toilet regularly - have to confess I usually get a little bunged up when I first go away on a trip LOL. Because of the change, it might just take a little longer than you think to get back into stride if you know what I mean.

Maybe taking her where others have pooed is perhaps not a good idea as these will be from "strangers" and might seem intimidating. I don't think it a good idea to take poo with you either. Something I always did when I went camping and that was to take bottles of home tap water rather than use local water for the dog to drink - I used to notice that sometimes a change in water source made my dog a little unwell.

Other than that, I think Wendy might be able to give you better tips.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes LL has it mostly.
Not a lot you can do, but of course she would have to go eventually. But I am sure she would be uncomfortable for awhile.

A little late for this visit.
But you are better teaching you dog to 'go' on command.
Every time she starts to go put a key word to it.
I say "be Quick" then reward when finished. Keep doing it time after time until the dog understands what the word means.

Eventually, when away, if you know the dog wants to go use your key word and if the dog has been taught correctly they will go on command.
For this visit. Plenty of patience.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

She might like a quiet place with some privacy when she toilets. A busy camp site might be a bit intimidating. My word for Rocky was 'poosie', he usually performed upon request. I don't have a word for Bailey poodle, but always praise with a treat and say good boy. He has his favourite spots around the village.

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for your replies everyone. From what we have gathered, in Angel's last home, where she was for under a year, she was one of several other dogs who had the use of a dog flap, so they could come in and out. I can neither provide other dogs, or a dog flap, but she will always go when we visit another sheltie friend, and also when we visit my dil's yorkie.

It stresses both of us out so much, that it takes the enjoyment out of going to some places where we have not previously been. As we cannot let her off the lead, we use an extending one, which does help a little, we've tried commands, running round in a circle, all the usual stuff.
wendy

Post by wendy »

First try not to stress, as the dogs pick up on your stress and that makes things worse.
Very often a run around gets things moving and the dog goes within 10 minutes of a run, so letting her run around on the extending may help.
No point in saying the words, unless you have trained well, beforehand.

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Wendy. Frustrating that I cannot let Angel loose. All campsites and rallies have that ruling.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think Wendy would have said this if she thought it would work, but here goes.
When horses move stables if you take some of their old bedding which has been soiled by them, they sometimes tend to settle quicker. Just a thought it may work for her if she thinks she has 'done' something herself in the strange location.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Gwen. I have thought about taking some wee with me to the second location.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi Spreckly, how did the 'loo' go when you were away?
Sorry, but cannot think of another way to word that. LOL
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Gwen - we were at a previously used rally site for the first few days of our break, and with patience, Angel toiletted normally! We had just arrived, and were walking to the nearest shop when she bobbed down. I was delighted.

The second part of our holiday was my biggest fear, but there was a quiet area at the bottom of the rally field and show ground, and I think every dog in the vicinity was walked there. It took a great deal of patience and a very early morning walk to get the desired result, and an early evening walk for the same, but there was not one day when we were unable to fill a little black bag.

Thank you for asking. I had meant to post on this thread before now, but it has been busy since our return.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(