Outfoxed by a fox.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Outfoxed by a fox.

Post by HazellB »

Picture the scene - two adult humans, a short-legged Jack Russell and a very old Saluki on a stableyard with 3 horses and 34 chickens.
A large dog fox walks to within 30 yards of the man, who happens to be holding a gun at the time. The man calls the woman, who appears from behind the buildings and asks what's wrong. He says there's a fox standing looking at him from right next to the hen paddock, so the woman wakes her old Saluki from his snooze in the sun, calls her Jack Russell and runs up the field on the far side of the hen paddock to head the fox off.

The man stays at one end of the field, the woman is at the other with two dogs designed to kill or maim vermin. The fox is standing in muddy soil about half way between them, next to the hens (who are all by the fence checking out the new friend).

The woman tells her Saluki to "GET IT!!!"
The Saluki looks, blinks and wanders off in the opposite direction. He doesn't fancy all that mud and wants to get back to his snooze.
The woman tells her Jack Russell to "GET IT!!!"
The Jack Russell signs and starts to pick his way slowly over the mud trying to avoid getting his paws too wet.

The fox walks towards the woman and terrier, fully aware of their utter incompetance.

Long story short, fox walks out under the fence, Jack Russell follows it and only starts to run once on drier ground in the next field. He runs at his fastest, yapping like a mad thing while the fox lops off at a slow trot pretty much laughing out loud. On it's way the fox passes the man, who has put down his gun to pick up binoculars so he can get a better view.

Please note - I have hidden the names of myself, my partner and my two dogs to avoid disgrace
{rofwl}

Now you see why they need 40 hounds and 50 horses to hunt foxes in the countryside ........ we're clearly rubbish on our own!
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Outfoxed by a fox.

Post by Mo »

HazellB wrote:

Now you see why they need 40 hounds and 50 horses to hunt foxes in the countryside ........ we're clearly rubbish on our own!

Big softies the lot of you. And illegal withall; were you trying to hunt a fox with dogs? I assume you had no intention of using the nasty gun (what was it for?)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, Hazell, you so made me {rofwl} {rofwl}
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Foxes certainly are not stupid, love the story Hazelb. My jack Russell could`nt catch a cold, daughters one is a good ratter but I have seen both of them just ignore rabbits very close to them.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

{rofwl} {rofwl} My good laugh for this week. Oh what a picture you paint of that couple and their two soppy dogs. Wonder who they were!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

Mo wrote:Big softies the lot of you. And illegal withall; were you trying to hunt a fox with dogs? I assume you had no intention of using the nasty gun (what was it for?)

No, I wasn't trying to hunt - just to get the damned fox off the land. The Saluki's still fast, but hasn't ever chased anything except other dogs and crows in his entire life. I knew he wouldn't bother, don't know why I even woke him up quite frankly! I WAS trying to get the terrier to give chase (which is perfectly legal, so long as he didn't have another dog with him and didn't harm the quarry) but he's such a tart about mud .....
The gun was being cleaned. It's been fired a few times at magpies but never at anything else alive. I shoot at cardboard boxes with Carol Vordemann or Jeremy Clarkson drawn on them and my OH has had two goes at frightening magpies off.

Out of the lot of us, I'd say the horses have the most chance of killing a fox (by laying down on it) and the chickens come a close second (they'll eat ANYTHING!). }hairout{
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

{rofwl}
I assume you still have 34 cluckies.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.